General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

ispano6 wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 20:11
Wouter wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 21:20
Thank you for this Japanese interview with Asaki and Yamamoto about 2018 and what's coming next .
Can someone possibly translate the most important points?
That would be very nice. Thanks in advance.
In a nutshell:
Honda has seen the light...........
[/quote]

Thank you very much @Ispano !!
The Power of Dreams!

mzso

ispano6 wrote:
The interviewer asks whether or not a rumour that RB claim that Honda has gained or would like them to gain 50hp is true or not and he says RB has not stated anything about requesting specific power output. All they said is build the best engine you know how and we'll make the best chassis we know how.
So the question whether Honda improved by 50HP was avoided?
Were they referring to an 50HP improvement since Abu Dhabi. Or for the 2018 season. (or some other timeframe?)
ispano6 wrote:
They have told RB their goal is to match MB and Ferrari in 2019 (no mention of Renault)
This sounds a bit promising. That they regained enough confidence to set such goals.

By the way. What does Yamamoto do?

Big Tea

jagunx51 wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 08:20
make it happen Honda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FmXjxdDBRI
This one is an old favorite of mine, it touched me when I saw it. But it is a bit longer, so lust the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ15mbuE_pw
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

lio007

It would be great if Wazari could give us his thoughts as well on the new RA619H.

HPD

A little history.
Jos Verstappen and the RA099

More: https://www.grandprix247.com/2019/02/09 ... is-unkind/

godlameroso

mzso wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 22:45
ispano6 wrote:
The interviewer asks whether or not a rumour that RB claim that Honda has gained or would like them to gain 50hp is true or not and he says RB has not stated anything about requesting specific power output. All they said is build the best engine you know how and we'll make the best chassis we know how.
So the question whether Honda improved by 50HP was avoided?
Were they referring to an 50HP improvement since Abu Dhabi. Or for the 2018 season. (or some other timeframe?)
ispano6 wrote:
They have told RB their goal is to match MB and Ferrari in 2019 (no mention of Renault)
This sounds a bit promising. That they regained enough confidence to set such goals.

By the way. What does Yamamoto do?
I'm guessing he meant Tanabe.
Saishū kōnā

ispano6

Yamamoto is motorsports head (general manager above the other 2), Tanabe is technical director of trackside operations and Asaki is head of R&D at Sakura.

Interviewer asked if RB "demanded" 50hp but Yamamoto replies RB have made no demands. I'm of the opinion that whatever context the interviewer got 50hp is pertaining to the speculated deficit to MB and that it is what Honda aims to cover through its 2019 development. Hopefully that deficit will have decreased.

NathanOlder

ispano6 wrote:

This time with Honda and RB, it feels like how a works team should - the mood and spirit at the factory is up and the prospects of working with Red Bull has everyone motivated.

Surely that exactly how the Honda Mclaren partnership started in 2015. Full of optimism and morale high. Probably higher than it is now as they hadn't gone through 4yrs of failure and they were creating a partnership that won before and had real history. The morale and mood can't be better now than it was going in to the start of the Mclaren deal. Its just the usual PR work and nothing more. No way they catch Ferrari and Merc in the PU front this year!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

mzso

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 19:00
The morale and mood can't be better now than it was going in to the start of the Mclaren deal.
I disagree. Now they have recent history to make them hopeful. Both the team and Honda know how powerful their PU was and how much they improved upon that. Pre-Mclaren they could just fantasize.
NathanOlder wrote:
No way they catch Ferrari and Merc in the PU front this year!
Why wouldn't there be? If their changes worked out and their further 2-4 PU designs also deliver the hoped improvements it could happen easily. It could also go completely wrong.
NathanOlder wrote:
they hadn't gone through 4yrs of failure and they were creating a partnership that won before and had real history.
From hindsight I think that relationship wash toxic, dysfunctional and doomed from the start, with the aggravation of Alonso. It seems clear now that McLaren has completely rotted away from the title winning team it was in 2008. It seems they were ill suited to aid Honda in developing the PU. Even worse they were a hindrance, by coaxing Honda into making PUs with unreasonably dimensions even after it was clear they have a large power handicap. They were even delusional enough to claim that their chassis was the best.

Honda was fortunate that they could jump ship and join up with RB. Things immediately started to get better.

It was a good thing to McLaren too. Reality kicked them in the stomach. Maybe now they can recompose themselves with the arrival of Seidl. (If Brown doesn't interfere and keeps to his PR and marketing prowess)

mzso

ispano6 wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 18:58
Yamamoto is motorsports head (general manager above the other 2), Tanabe is technical director of trackside operations and Asaki is head of R&D at Sakura.

Interviewer asked if RB "demanded" 50hp but Yamamoto replies RB have made no demands. I'm of the opinion that whatever context the interviewer got 50hp is pertaining to the speculated deficit to MB and that it is what Honda aims to cover through its 2019 development. Hopefully that deficit will have decreased.
Thanks for the clarification. I just don't quite understand the "bringing in Yamamoto" part. Wasn't he the motorsport before? Does he have a significant input in the engine development?

NathanOlder

mzso wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 19:51
NathanOlder wrote:
The morale and mood can't be better now than it was going in to the start of the Mclaren deal.
I disagree. Now they have recent history to make them hopeful. Both the team and Honda know how powerful their PU was and how much they improved upon that. Pre-Mclaren they could just fantasize.
Hopeful maybe, but id say its closer to wishful. Pre-Mclaren they did fantasize and the mood and morale would have been sky high. Higher than it is today.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

foneFanatiq

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 20:01
mzso wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Hopeful maybe, but id say its closer to wishful. Pre-Mclaren they did fantasize and the mood and morale would have been sky high. Higher than it is today.
Nathan. Why are you a hater ?

Espresso

a little add-on to complete the serie. An onboard cockpit photo with Max Verstappen.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

NathanOlder

foneFanatiq wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 21:11
NathanOlder wrote:
mzso wrote:

I wouldn't say hater fone (may I call you fone ?) I have always been behind Honda. But they just wont be as high as some want/expect. I wanted the Honda Mclaren partnership to work as much as anyone.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

foneFanatiq

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 23:40
foneFanatiq wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 21:11
NathanOlder wrote:

I wouldn't say hater fone (may I call you fone ?) I have always been behind Honda. But they just wont be as high as some want/expect. I wanted the Honda Mclaren partnership to work as much as anyone.
I disagree with that. We will certainly find out. But you can’t just write them off due to unfortunate events of the past. They are now with 2 teams who let them build a PU that they want without restrictions. (For the most part).