Scuderia Ferrari SF72H Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF72H Speculation Thread

What would be the point of having such an exhaust arrangement?
You'd get some blowing effect, but where? What is the percentage of time per lap the turbine is running overboost? Also, what good is in having exhaust driven effect which occurs very abruptly? Wastegates can't be electronically controlled, right?

Zynerji

timbo wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 06:37
You'd get some blowing effect, but where? What is the percentage of time per lap the turbine is running overboost? Also, what good is in having exhaust driven effect which occurs very abruptly? Wastegates can't be electronically controlled, right?
It would be interesting to see if the waste gate exhaust gives the ultimate wing effect, or if it is simply a pulse entrainment of the ICE exhaust gases below it.

outsid3r

Can the different wastegate layout be turbo related? I noticed that Honeywell is out of the suppliers list and Garrett is in. Maybe they worked out something clever in conjunction with Garrett?

godlameroso

timbo wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 06:37
The wastegates are electronically controlled by hydraulic actuators.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

outsid3r wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 11:53
Can the different wastegate layout be turbo related? I noticed that Honeywell is out of the suppliers list and Garrett is in. Maybe they worked out something clever in conjunction with Garrett?
Honeywell is the parent company of Garrett.
Saishū kōnā

enri_the_red

According to the italian version of motorsport.com ( https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/diret ... a/4311502/ ) , last December the FIA issued a technical directive stating that the two wastegate exhausts must blow in the same way

bosyber

Thanks everyone for the replies,that makes a lot of sense. I didn't doubt, just wondered if I missed some obvious clues (or was just too dense!)
enri_the_red wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 15:50
According to the italian version of motorsport.com ( https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/diret ... a/4311502/ ) , last December the FIA issued a technical directive stating that the two wastegate exhausts must blow in the same way
but if the bottom pipe makes an almost 90 degree bend, with the top one much more straightforward, no doubt 'due to packaging /geometry', how would you stop them? Sure I suppose FIA/rivals could argue it is a sort of simple fluidic valve, but would that really fly?

PlatinumZealot

The dummy pipe underneath could function as a silencer if my knoelwedge on silencers is up to snuff. They don't want you to know when that thing is blowing the wing!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tzk
Tzk

I finally found a good picture of the 2018 exhaust test in hockenheim... blue lines were added by me.

BassVirolla

Could it be a fluidic switch to engage the main exhaust stream to the wing only with a pulse of wastegate?

BwajSF

bosyber wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 19:43
Thanks everyone for the replies,that makes a lot of sense. I didn't doubt, just wondered if I missed some obvious clues (or was just too dense!)
enri_the_red wrote:
but if the bottom pipe makes an almost 90 degree bend, with the top one much more straightforward, no doubt 'due to packaging /geometry', how would you stop them? Sure I suppose FIA/rivals could argue it is a sort of simple fluidic valve, but would that really fly?
Or Simple... This might be looked at as some perfume bottle concept...
The Upper Pipe is where the fast moving gases go through.. since the lower one is at 90 degrees the fast moving exhaust gases in the upper tube might cause the atmospheric air to be pulled inside from the lower tube and mix with the fast moving gases in the upper tube causing the temperature of the wastegate to reduce a bit... and also since the atmospheric air is being pulled into the wastegate pipe...it might add to some sort of performance to the rear of the car..just guessing....

GTO99

BwajSF wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 08:17
bosyber wrote:
enri_the_red wrote:
The Upper Pipe is where the fast moving gases go through.. since the lower one is at 90 degrees the fast moving exhaust gases in the upper tube might cause the atmospheric air to be pulled inside from the lower tube and mix with the fast moving gases in the upper tube causing the temperature of the wastegate to reduce a bit... and also since the atmospheric air is being pulled into the wastegate pipe...it might add to some sort of performance to the rear of the car..just guessing....
Good theory, I'll buy that.

henry

BwajSF wrote:
bosyber wrote:
enri_the_red wrote:
An interesting theory. It might be prohibited by this regulation:
5.8.2 Engine exhaust systems must have only a single turbine tailpipe exit and either one or two wastegate tailpipe exits which must all be rearward facing and through which all exhaust gases must pass. All and only the turbine exit exhaust gases must pass through the turbine tailpipe and all and only the wastegate exhaust gases must pass through the wastegate tailpipe(s). None of the tailpipes may be contained within any of the other tailpipes.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

BwajSF

henry wrote:
11 Feb 2019, 11:25
BwajSF wrote:
bosyber wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies,that makes a lot of sense. I didn't doubt, just wondered if I missed some obvious clues (or was just too dense!) but if the bottom pipe makes an almost 90 degree bend, with the top one much more straightforward, no doubt 'due to packaging /geometry', how would you stop them? Sure I suppose FIA/rivals could argue it is a sort of simple fluidic valve, but would that really fly?
An interesting theory. It might be prohibited by this regulation:
5.8.2 Engine exhaust systems must have only a single turbine tailpipe exit and either one or two wastegate tailpipe exits which must all be rearward facing and through which all exhaust gases must pass. All and only the turbine exit exhaust gases must pass through the turbine tailpipe and all and only the wastegate exhaust gases must pass through the wastegate tailpipe(s). None of the tailpipes may be contained within any of the other tailpipes.
Yup.. But that a rule focused more to direct only the wastegate gases through the tailpipe.. and not the engine exhaust... Besides by definition the exhaust design doesnt pass anything more than the what is mentioned in the rule... its just that the atmospheric air gets pulled in as a result of design so i guess its kinda grey area..
I believe such exhaust design has huge advantage in long straights... where the engine revs to its peaks exhaust gases keeps rushing out with monstrous velocity both from turbine and engine.. and hence this design might aid on straights... and since in corners its more of treading the throttle it wouldnt be much of an effect...
but again.. we all are just swinging the dark.. so any swing is a good swing...