Scuderia Ferrari SF72H Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dans79

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF72H Speculation Thread

AngelicPrincess wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 16:42
And you would be right if aero parts were simple to machine. When the parts you are trying to make are complex with no flats for machining setup, parts that need multiple setups to machine. Additive manufacturing methods are far quicker. Due to NDAs I cant post any comparison data unfortunately.
None of the teams are using simple 3 axis mills, They all have high speed multi axis (5+) mill/turn centers at their disposal.

Again, all the teams are using FDM technology, just not how the article is hinting they are printing structural components.

Here you can see examples of what McLaren has done.
https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partne ... rformance/
197 104 103 7

MtthsMlw

Looks like we will actually see the SF90H tomorrow.

Mat-tes

MtthsMlw wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 11:09
Wasn't it always the plan to reveal the car on the 15th?

Working myself with 3d printing (like most people nowadays) I find it interesting if Ferrari found a way to print out structural piece as strong as carbon. The issues are always layer bounding/separation, directional strength and overall strength of the material used to print with (often plastics). Metal print are resistant, but far too heavy to be used as described in the article.

I could see some ways to make it possible, but that would involve a lot of automation and change to the fabrication line, or a new line entirely.
Speculatively, it's not impossible to combine mold or press with an automated system that would layer the fiber on its own. Bmw kind of have a system like that to create parts for some of their cars (the i3 I think).

So it won't be per say printed, but they could have found a way to automatize the layering and baking system. The cutting step is already done by an automatic cutter, so why not the next few steps. Combined with printed or machined mold and you get a system that can potentially run on its own and "print" out finished pieces.

Autoclave oven tend to damage molds that are too soft after a while, but if you have the capacity to reprint them and/or run them just a few times, it's not out of the question that they could set-up an automated line.

This way you could also have insane precision in the layering of the different layers and fiber strength and potentially have small weight gain.

Again this is speculative, but not unthinkable.

MtthsMlw

Mat-tes wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 11:36
MtthsMlw wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 11:09
Wasn't it always the plan to reveal the car on the 15th?

Working myself with 3d printing (like most people nowadays) I find it interesting if Ferrari found a way to print out structural piece as strong as carbon. The issues are always layer bounding/separation, directional strength and overall strength of the material used to print with (often plastics). Metal print are resistant, but far too heavy to be used as described in the article.

I could see some ways to make it possible, but that would involve a lot of automation and change to the fabrication line, or a new line entirely.
Speculatively, it's not impossible to combine mold or press with an automated system that would layer the fiber on its own. Bmw kind of have a system like that to create parts for some of their cars (the i3 I think).

So it won't be per say printed, but they could have found a way to automatize the layering and baking system. The cutting step is already done by an automatic cutter, so why not the next few steps. Combined with printed or machined mold and you get a system that can potentially run on its own and "print" out finished pieces.

Autoclave oven tend to damage molds that are too soft after a while, but if you have the capacity to reprint them and/or run them just a few times, it's not out of the question that they could set-up an automated line.

This way you could also have insane precision in the layering of the different layers and fiber strength and potentially have small weight gain.

Again this is speculative, but not unthinkable.
I meant the name, some reports are hinting at SF90h instead of SF72h.

garyjpaterson

Makes sense, can't possibly expect them to stick to the same naming convention for more than 2 years... :lol:

Polite

Sf90. 90 years of history for Ferrari.

Leo Turrini sayd this!

mika vs michael

It does not matter how they call it as long as it is fast...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

jumpingfish

Ferrari introduced new hydraulic roll control system in the rear suspension and front one on the pusher arms instead of hydraulic. Allows to lift the body at low speed, adding downforce, and press it to the ground on the straight lines without additional drag. This system is passive and can't be controlled by the driver.
Sounds promisingly, need more trump cards in the fight against Silver Arrows

CriXus

jumpingfish wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 19:57
Ferrari introduced new hydraulic roll control system in the rear suspension and front one on the pusher arms instead of hydraulic. Allows to lift the body at low speed, adding downforce, and press it to the ground on the straight lines without additional drag. This system is passive and can't be controlled by the driver.
Source?
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

LM10

jumpingfish wrote:
Would this not be quite similar to FRIC?

jumpingfish

CriXus wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 20:00
jumpingfish wrote:
Source?
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... a/4337138/

jumpingfish

CriXus wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 20:00

Source?
from Franco Nugnes on Motorsport

jumpingfish

LM10 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 20:04

I hope it's another system, otherwise it will be blocked after complaints

Polite

jumpingfish wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 20:13
LM10 wrote:

Fric its when there is a connection between front and rear system

LM10

Polite wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 22:10
jumpingfish wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 20:13
LM10 wrote:

Fric its when there is a connection between front and rear system
But wasn’t the reason FRIC was banned because it (the hydraulic fluid) was interpreted as a moving “item” providing aerodynamic advantage?