McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GoranF1

Re: McLaren MCL34

godlameroso wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:36
FW17 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:32
:?:

Is that floor extension below the barge boards legal
What extension? T tray device you mean?
I goodfather it now!!!

"The Monkey bench"
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

turbof1

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:38
Is the front wing curvature the loophole mcl found that someone was talking about? Car looks nice!
No, it's not a loophole. Curvature is allowed up to 15° angle relative to a particular plane described in the regulations, McLaren just pushed it to the limit.
#AeroFrodo

M840TR

Quite impressive. Here's an overall first impression from the renders:

The front wing petals have a steep inclination towards the endplate to energize the outwash.
Same nose as last year.
No S-duct.
Raised front suspension.
Bargeboard an amalgamation of Mcl33 and Merc. There's a boomerang wing and the y250 outwash plate is carried over from last year just like the flow conditioners at the bottom. No vortex generators on top..
No Halo winglet.
Mirror arrangement now different; long extending support with another small one attached on sidepod.
Sidepod deflectors not quite as complex as Redbull or Merc. Rb14 style upper arm.
Raised sidepods with crash structures re-positioned.
Floor probably not representative of actual car but lots of horizontal and short slots. Multiple vortex generators underneath the bottom crash structure.
Packaging completely revised from last year. Focus now on aero, not CoG, with more space for diffuser. Ancillary intercoolers moved on intake.
Small w07 style sharkfin.
Spoon rear wing with multiple vertical slots and dual support structures.
Curved diffuser like Rb14.
Ribs on the rear wheels.
Last edited by M840TR on 14 Feb 2019, 14:54, edited 5 times in total.

_cerber1

The front axles, did they really find a way around the regulations?

DiogoBrand

They've also gone for the Merc-Style front suspension, with the raised pick up point, and the double support for the wing mirrors.

It's exciting to see that this car looks nothing like last year's. Now that we know it's different, let's hope it's also better... way better.

f1rules

GoranF1

M840TR wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:45
Quite impressive. Here's an overall first impression from the renders:

The front wing petals have a steep inclination towards the endplate to energize the outwash.
Same nose as last year.
No S-duct.
Raised front suspension.
Bargeboard an amalgamation of Mcl33 and Merc. There's a boomerang wing and the y250 outwash plate is carried over from last year just like the flow conditioners at the bottom.
No Halo winglet.
Mirror arrangement now different; long extending support with another small one attached on sidepod.
Sidepod deflectors not quite as complex as Redbull or Merc. Rb14 style upper arm.
Raised sidepods with crash structures re-positioned.
Floor probably not representative of actual car but lots of horizontal and short slots.
Packaging completely revised from last year. Focus now on aero, not CoG, with more space for diffuser. Ancillary intercoolers moved on intake.
Small w07 style sharkfin.
Spoon rear wing with multiple vertical slots.
Curved diffuser like Rb14.
Ribs on the rear wheels.
Please refere to boomerang wing as its called; the Monkey bench. 😀
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

f1rules

godlameroso

GhostF1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:42
godlameroso wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:32
This is a well designed car. Bargeboards are 5 steps beyond what we've seen from them thus far. Good use of all the surface area available.

http://i.imgur.com/btzYYfw.jpg
If only bargeboard design was all it took. Last year their evolution in this area was basically non existent. So seeing a design with a rethought element isn't a particular stretch on a new car.
If you paid attention last year, they did a lot of testing in that area. The bargeboards are so incredibly important for sealing the diffuser, that yes they will make or break a team. But I digress, we shall see in testing, I think this is head and shoulders above last year.
Saishū kōnā

DiogoBrand

McLaren seems to have retained their rear suspension design from last year. So we'll probably have another year of armchair experts saying that the reason for their lack of success is the rear suspension.

ALO_Power

There's also a little winglet that acts as a secondary mirror mount where the "CS_55" logo is located. Interesting car for sure. Probably we will see more bits during testing as well.

f1rules

godlameroso

DiogoBrand wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:41
To me it looks like they focused on making the sidepods narrower, instead of them being wider on the top with a huge undercut. The spoon rear wing probably has something to do with the louvres being outlawed. The front wing curve is really interesting, not completely different to the Merc solution, and the bargeboard area finally seems to have some development after the start of 2017.
Edit1: Oh, and also they seem to have moved some of the coolers to the airbox, rather than having them all in the sidepods, which must be one of the reason for the narrower sidepods.
So far this is one of the most developed cars in comparison to last year, let's hope it works on track.
McLaren tested this type of front wing back in late 2016 if you remember. It was an outwash wing sans the leading edge tunnel.
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:38
Is the front wing curvature the loophole mcl found that someone was talking about? Car looks nice!
looking through the horrendous livery. very interesting car though.
the front wing is indeed particularly interesting.

whether it'll work or not - lets hope it does - aesthatically, it looks much better than the flat wings.
it reminds me of the 2008 wings.

let's see and wait though.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

M840TR