McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jolle

Re: McLaren MCL34

It feels like there is a very visible difference between works cars and the midfield teams: size! Of course Red Bull has a size -1 at the moment but also Mercedes has shrunk again while Renault made some progress. The McLaren looks quite fat in comparison to the top 4, more in line with Williams,STR, Alfa and HAAS.

I expect that all these teams will be aiming for this fifth spot.

kfrantzios

Last edited by kfrantzios on 14 Feb 2019, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.

godlameroso

GhostF1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 15:06
godlameroso wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:53
GhostF1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:42

If only bargeboard design was all it took. Last year their evolution in this area was basically non existent. So seeing a design with a rethought element isn't a particular stretch on a new car.
If you paid attention last year, they did a lot of testing in that area. The bargeboards are so incredibly important for sealing the diffuser, that yes they will make or break a team. But I digress, we shall see in testing, I think this is head and shoulders above last year.
Not once did I say they were not important, obviously they are, these aren't radically different from last years launch, that wavy moustache element that joined to the body just in front of the cockpit that was added mid last year has morphed into a monkey bench onto largely last year's design. 5 steps forward as you said is a bit of a reach.

I did pay attention. I paid a painful amount of attention at the lack of development which they claim was because all resources were diverted to this years car, the result? This car, where people are highlighting the front wing curve and shark fin. I believe we have to keep expectations controlled here. The car had been shown not even 10 seconds ago when you claimed "it is an extremely well engineered car".
As for the person who said "look at their Innovative shark fin" ...
Not radically different no just using all the surface area available.

Compare last year, this year its waaaaaay better.

Last edited by godlameroso on 14 Feb 2019, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 15:11
GoranF1 wrote:
About last month or so your comments are like you have sit on a hedgehog!
I hope health is good?
well, to be honest, i meant it as nothing more than a joke - apologies if it came across any other way. :wink:
All good...😉
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GoranF1

Jolle wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 15:13
It feels like there is a very visible difference between works cars and the midfield teams: size! Of course Red Bull has a size -1 at the moment but also Mercedes has shrunk again while Renault made some progress. The McLaren looks quite fat in comparison to the top 4, more in line with Williams,STR, Alfa and HAAS.

Maybe they learned from last year and decided to go converstive for testing?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GhostF1

godlameroso wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 15:15
GhostF1 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:53

If you paid attention last year, they did a lot of testing in that area. The bargeboards are so incredibly important for sealing the diffuser, that yes they will make or break a team. But I digress, we shall see in testing, I think this is head and shoulders above last year.
Not once did I say they were not important, obviously they are, these aren't radically different from last years launch, that wavy moustache element that joined to the body just in front of the cockpit that was added mid last year has morphed into a monkey bench onto largely last year's design. 5 steps forward as you said is a bit of a reach.

I did pay attention. I paid a painful amount of attention at the lack of development which they claim was because all resources were diverted to this years car, the result? This car, where people are highlighting the front wing curve and shark fin. I believe we have to keep expectations controlled here. The car had been shown not even 10 seconds ago when you claimed "it is an extremely well engineered car".

https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 164372.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/28DgBQ5W/Dz-Xa1-L6-Xg-AAy3u-W.jpg
It is. It is definitely better. It'll be fascinating to see testing and what everyone turns up with. Toro Rosso did shakedown with a front wing not even vaguely similar to the launch pictures.

McLaren, and the rest, who knows. Anyway I pray for speed. I pray for Lando to have a good car under him, I've got good vibes about him!

KingHamilton01

Jolle wrote:

Pretty sure they have slimmed down a fair bit in this department, also sidepod inlets are reduced much slimmer.
McLaren Mercedes

godlameroso

GhostF1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 15:19
godlameroso wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 15:15
GhostF1 wrote:

https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 164372.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/28DgBQ5W/Dz-Xa1-L6-Xg-AAy3u-W.jpg
It is. It is definitely better. It'll be fascinating to see testing and what everyone turns up with. Toro Rosso did shakedown with a front wing not even vaguely similar to the launch pictures.

McLaren, and the rest, who knows. Anyway I pray for speed. I pray for Lando to have a good car under him, I've got good vibes about him!
Me too, he was very fast when he did daytona, matching Alonso. True, different cars, still, he definitely has the speed to do the job.
Saishū kōnā

ajprice

The mini shark fin with the race number on it, is there any function to that size and shape, or is it literally just there as somewhere to put the number?

Vasconia

Watching the live event my first impression was that the car was not so elaborated, at least in comparison to RB or Mercedes. But the posted images(thanks guys) show better some interesting details like the front suspension(nice amount of free air) and the rear part of the car. Longer wheelbase could be helpful too as Mercedes showed the way with a car which welcome updates.

Coefficient

ajprice wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 15:23
The mini shark fin with the race number on it, is there any function to that size and shape, or is it literally just there as somewhere to put the number?
I suspect this tiny fin will sprout adornments come testing.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Thunder

Ok quick reminder: This is the CAR Topic. :wink:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Enstone

By far my favorite one !

Really agressive rear rims design !

New front suspensions setup, Mercedes/Sauber alike.
A lots of work have been achieved, i hope this year gonna be a good year for Maca !

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

M840TR

Jolle wrote:

First of all, Williams hasn't even shown the car. Secondly, Haas and Alfa are much bulkier. Merc and Renault are on the same page while Redbull is the tightest