Who still hates the halo?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
NtsParadize

Who still hates the halo?

The halo is horrible, it doesn't belong in F1 in my opinion. It wouldn't have saved Leclerc, nor Bianchi, and it trapped Hulkenberg.

turbof1

Re: Who still hates the halo?

NtsParadize wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:09
The halo is horrible, it doesn't belong in F1 in my opinion. And it wouldn't have saved Leclerc, nor Bianchi.
You are basing your claim about Leclerc on what? The FIA did an investigation and did conclude it saved Leclerc from harm: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lecl ... o/4309428/

It wouldn't have helped Bianchi. Nothing really would have helped Bianchi in his crash. The deaccelerating was too great. But just because it would not have helped him, wouldn't mean it isn't helpful in other cases. The goal as always is to minimize risk.

I personally am not in favour for the looks of the Halo wise, but I am in favour for it as protection for the driver. F1 is safer because of the Halo, that's something to get behind, we don't want to see drivers get hurt. Aesthetics are secondary to that.
#AeroFrodo

Phil

I don't. It's grown on me and actually like it (except from the onboard view). Apart from that, I'm happy to live with it. No it won't help in every imaginable circumstance, but it is an additional layer of safety.

I personally think some of the noses or the new 2019 style huge front-wings are way more 'ugly' than the halo. Or some of the livery. :oops:
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

NtsParadize

turbof1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:14
NtsParadize wrote:
The halo is horrible, it doesn't belong in F1 in my opinion. And it wouldn't have saved Leclerc, nor Bianchi.
You are basing your claim about Leclerc on what? The FIA did an investigation and did conclude it saved Leclerc from harm: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lecl ... o/4309428/

It wouldn't have helped Bianchi. Nothing really would have helped Bianchi in his crash. The deaccelerating was too great. But just because it would not have helped him, wouldn't mean it isn't helpful in other cases. The goal as always is to minimize risk.

I personally am not in favour for the looks of the Halo wise, but I am in favour for it as protection for the driver. F1 is safer because of the Halo, that's something to get behind, we don't want to see drivers get hurt. Aesthetics are secondary to that.
http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/24523 ... o-dramatic

NtsParadize

Phil wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:16
I don't. It's grown on me and actually like it (except from the onboard view). Apart from that, I'm happy to live with it. No it won't help in every imaginable circumstance, but it is an additional layer of safety.

I personally think some of the noses or the new 2019 style huge front-wings are way more 'ugly' than the halo. Or some of the livery. :oops:
The new higher rear wing is quite ugly too

turbof1

NtsParadize wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:18
turbof1 wrote:
NtsParadize wrote:

So a driver's opinion outweights an investigation made by the official authority? The FIA specifically mentioned there would have been contact with the endplate of the front wing. It's not clear what the consequences of that would have been -I imagine anything between the endplate just breaking off without any harm done to decapitating Leclerc because of a sharp broken edge digging into his neck- but it's good we didn't find out the consequences of that.

Also funny what the last paragraph of your article says, quoting Ricciardo:
"It's nice for the people who didn't support it, maybe, we've got proof that it likely saved Charles probably a very serious injury. Over time... they don't look as ugly now as they did in Albert Park. It did well. It did very well last week."
Again, in the case of Ricciardo too opinion, but the FIA did actually made intensive research to it.

I get you find it ugly. Frankly, it has to be redesigned more aesthetically without any of its load properties being impaired. But let's not act like this isn't a safety device.
#AeroFrodo

NtsParadize

turbof1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:26
NtsParadize wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:18
turbof1 wrote:

So a driver's opinion outweights an investigation made by the official authority? The FIA specifically mentioned there would have been contact with the endplate of the front wing. It's not clear what the consequences of that would have been -I imagine anything between the endplate just breaking off without any harm done to decapitating Leclerc because of a sharp broken edge digging into his neck- but it's good we didn't find out the consequences of that.

Also funny what the last paragraph of your article says, quoting Ricciardo:
"It's nice for the people who didn't support it, maybe, we've got proof that it likely saved Charles probably a very serious injury. Over time... they don't look as ugly now as they did in Albert Park. It did well. It did very well last week."
Again, in the case of Ricciardo too opinion, but the FIA did actually made intensive research to it.

I get you find it ugly. Frankly, it has to be redesigned more aesthetically without any of its load properties being impaired. But let's not act like this isn't a safety device.
Closed cockpits or nothing.

turbof1

NtsParadize wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:32
Closed cockpits or nothing.
Now we are talking :mrgreen: .
#AeroFrodo

Shrieker

I'd not have the drivers trundle around without it. Sure, it doesn't look very good. But whenever I open a pre 2018 pic, I get anxiety..
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

NtsParadize

Shrieker wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:47
I'd not have the drivers trundle around without it. Sure, it doesn't look very good. But whenever I open a pre 2018 pic, I get anxiety..
Even though it wouldn't have saved anyone in between 1978 and 2018.

Shrieker

NtsParadize wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:50
Shrieker wrote:
Even it wouldn't have saved anyone in between 1978 and 2018.
Maybe Maria's family would like to have a word with you ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

turbof1

Surtees family as well.
#AeroFrodo

NtsParadize

Shrieker wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:52
NtsParadize wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
Maybe the truck should never have been there?

NtsParadize

turbof1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:53
Surtees family as well.
I'm talking about F1 though, I forgot to put that in my last comment aswell

Shrieker

NtsParadize wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:56
Shrieker wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:52
NtsParadize wrote:

Maybe the truck should never have been there?
Maybe the car should've had the halo :)

Anyway, there are plenty of close calls just of the top of my head as well. Irvine pushing a tire assembly with his hand from inside the cockpit at spa '98. Alesi jumping over Irvine's cockpit at Austria '97. Spa '12 start pile up. It's just a matter of time before something like that happened again and the driver on the receiving end wouldn't be so lucky. Halo might be ugly, but it's a good addition safety wise.
-Atatürk