Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Some comparisons done by Albert Fabrega

Last edited by Morteza on 15 Feb 2019, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JPBD1990

Interesting that the sidepod inlets are larger this year. Weird move. I wonder what the perceived benefit is over a larger sidepod inlet/smaller airbox inlet and vise versa. Any ideas?

Also, pretty sure some innovations have been cleverly concealed. For example, why would they remove the slotted mirrors?

Looking forward to testing!

frtq

JPBD1990 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 12:42
Interesting that the sidepod inlets are larger this year. Weird move. I wonder what the perceived benefit is over a larger sidepod inlet/smaller airbox inlet and vise versa. Any ideas?

Also, pretty sure some innovations have been cleverly concealed. For example, why would they remove the slotted mirrors?

Exactly, this car seems hardly worth discussing at this point.

MtthsMlw

They're kinda doing the opposite to what red bull is doing with the packaging.

Tzk
Tzk

Well, they removed the two cooling inlets on the airbox.. Maybe that's the reason why the sidepods have a bigger cooling intake.

And i suspect this isn't the specification they're going to test. Maybe we'll see the mirrors again on monday?

ScrewCaptain27

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Fede90

JPBD1990 wrote:

I thought the same things, more larger inlets sidepod but thinner airscope, traditional mirros much more inspirend to mercedes ones. I want to see the floor and diffuser.

Silent Storm

More from Albert Fabrega
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

krizalid1001

Morteza wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 12:41
Some comparisons done by Albert Fabrega
Strangely and judging only from these photos, seems like the SF71 is the evolution of the SF90, and not the opposite ... :lol:
Wainting for barcelona to see further evolutions
Last edited by krizalid1001 on 15 Feb 2019, 13:35, edited 3 times in total.

LM10

The thing I found interesting this time was that they allowed the rear of the car to be filmed. They didn't last year and we know that Ferrari generally is pretty serious with covering parts, especially the rear.

JPBD1990

Fede90 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 12:49
JPBD1990 wrote:

I thought the same things, more larger inlets sidepod but thinner airscope, traditional mirros much more inspirend to mercedes ones. I want to see the floor and diffuser.
I wonder if the taller, wider rear wing is more obstructed by the Airbox this year, therefore making it smaller and sidepods larger sees a greater overall effect on downforce?

Intriguing. The rest of the engine cover is definitely slimmer, so likely overall volume is well down.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Fede90

i read an article about idraulic rear suspension of SF90 not more mechanical. Someone have more details about it?

MtthsMlw

The DRS mechanism looks kinda weird.

Fede90

JPBD1990 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 12:51
Fede90 wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 12:49
JPBD1990 wrote:

I wonder if the taller, wider rear wing is more obstructed by the Airbox this year, therefore making it smaller and sidepods larger sees a greater overall effect on downforce?

Intriguing. The rest of the engine cover is definitely slimmer, so likely overall volume is well down.
It could be a great analisys, and i think ferrari's engineers thought the same thing to take more advantage for rear wing