Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1ern
F1ern

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

MtthsMlw wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 11:40
https://i.imgur.com/8BvXYod.jpg
From the launch video
Very clean design, looking forward to see it on track.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

I'm wondering how important a more efficient rear wing even is as the turbo era progresses in its current form.

The new aero regs introduced a notable understeer challenge for teams. Front lockups were a big thing while teams fought for balance.

With the newly simplified front wings creating even less front downforce (or at least seemingly designed that way), it seems the mid and front wings should have the most focus on their efficiency than trying to further increase rear downforce.

I could be (very) wrong, of course.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

GrizzleBoy wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 12:36
I'm wondering how important a more efficient rear wing even is as the turbo era progresses in its current form.

The new aero regs introduced a notable understeer challenge for teams. Front lockups were a big thing while teams fought for balance.

With the newly simplified front wings creating even less front downforce (or at least seemingly designed that way), it seems the mid and front wings should have the most focus on their efficiency than trying to further increase rear downforce.

Think of it this way. If the rear wing is working more effectively/efficiently, you can quite easily reduce wing angle to help balance the car.

You want tools in your toolbox. If the wing is inefficient, and you need more wing angle just to balance the car, you’re already on the back foot.

This just gives them another dial to turn up/down as may be required (if it is increased RW efficiency they’re chasing)

motobaleno

GrizzleBoy wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 12:36

I'm not sure to catch you but note that the new regulations affected parts of the FW that were intended to increase floor and diffuser efficiency and ultimately REAR df. the part of the FW creating directly front downforce is the one left basically unchanged

hollus

This a reminder to everyone that this is the Ferrari CAR thread. The mod team is trying to keep the car threads (all of them) particularly focused on what is on the car and how it works. Discussing how a certain feature would make the car faster (or not) is 100% on topic, but "the car looks fast" is better discussed on the team thread, where, honestly, the discussion on the team can be much more natural, fluid and free.

This are the guidelines posted as the first post in every car thread:

Thunder wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 15:58
This is the Scuderia Ferrari SF90 offical car thread.

Please discuss ONLY technical items of this car, and refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery Talk also belongs in the Team Thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27826
The last two posts, about Vettel's contract, have been moved to the team thread.

That said, kudos to everyone for, so far, mostly, staying on topic in the car threads. Long might that continue!
Rivals, not enemies.

f1316
f1316

Weren’t Ferrari doing a shakedown today? Or was it tomorrow? Interested to see pics on track.

lio007

f1316 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 17:57
Weren’t Ferrari doing a shakedown today? Or was it tomorrow? Interested to see pics on track.
If I remember correctly, it is scheduled for tomorrow.

Sierra117

Loving the matte red on this one. Ferrari claim it saves weight, but is it significant enough? I'd rather believe it's, as Scarbs pointed out, harder to make out the curves and features due to lack of reflections.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Maritimer
Maritimer

Even if it saves one pound over the whole car theyll jump all over it

DiogoBrand

I never really buy the "This new paint saves weight" claims. If we were to believe it every time they say it, most cars would have paint with negative mass right now.

f1316
f1316

Is there a regulation that says the car must be painted? It not, why not just leave it bare?

LM10
LM10

Sierra117 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 18:42
Loving the matte red on this one. Ferrari claim it saves weight, but is it significant enough? I'd rather believe it's, as Scarbs pointed out, harder to make out the curves and features due to lack of reflections.
In an article I read that the matte paint on the RBR saved them 600 grams. This probably would make you be faster by less than 0,05 seconds per lap. Well, it shows how the teams consider absolutely every detail. :lol:
It would be nice to know if such different paints also have an aerodynamic benefit.

zibby43
zibby43

f1316 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 19:59
Is there a regulation that says the car must be painted? It not, why not just leave it bare?
Sponsorship money.

garygph
garygph

LM10 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 20:06
Sierra117 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 18:42
In an article I read that the matte paint on the RBR saved them 600 grams. This probably would make you be faster by less than 0,05 seconds per lap. Well, it shows how the teams consider absolutely every detail. :lol:
It would be nice to know if such different paints also have an aerodynamic benefit.
It was some time back when there was a similar discussion and there was a benefit in wet weather apparently and no penalty otherwise iirc.
If it saves weight they will do it. One cannot look at it in isolation and say it is "only" x amount because after you have added all the "only"'s up suddenly you have something very worthwhile.. . .and this is F1 were fractions make a huge difference after all.

f1316
f1316

zibby43 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 20:08
f1316 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 19:59
Sponsorship money.
Sure, but you could put the sponsors’ logos on a bare chassis in principle, no?