2019 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316

This doesn’t seem applicable to one specific car thread - and we used to have these kinds of threads in the past - but mods can obviously define if this is the right way to do.

What I wanted to start with is the typical sidepod comparison - what we all like to obsess over as if smaller is empirically better; we don’t have overhead shots but we do have a very good side-by-side comparison with RB and Mercedes from similar angles. The Ferrari is quite a different angle but still illustrates the size of its pods:

What’s evident to me is that the maximum width of each is actually very similar - despite the general narrative focusing on the RB having such miniscule sidepods. Indeed, I think it could be argued that the maximum width of the RB is actually slightly wider than both Ferrari and Mercedes (look at the distance between pod and floor slots for reference).

The RB does seem to have the narrowest minimum width - and the shape of its pods (a quite dramatic reduction rather than the smoother line of both of the other cars) mean that it maintains its minimum for longer - but not by that much. But it also flares out slightly at the end - seemingly requiring more heat dissipation for the Honda - whereas the Ferrari continues to narrow right to the end.

So my view here is that there really isn’t much to choose from between the top three in terms of overall sidepod size; they have very different philosophies but I’d be surprised if overall volume is actually much different across the three.

GTO99

Re: 2019 car comparison thread

Yes, we'll need to see overhead shots from testing to make better comparisons of side pods.
I must note that after the side pods, the Ferrari bodywork tapers down to an exceptionally sleek point by the rear tires. Perhaps it's just an optical illusion, because theirs is a gentle taper and there is a clear red/black bodywork color line that is visible. I think the Merc rear taper is also very similar. Whereas on the RB, the bodywork taper to the rear is not gentle (like Ferrari/Merc), but drops down toward the floor and also has a very severe shrink wrap towards the center.

ScrewCaptain27

Rake/wheelbase comparison:
Last edited by ScrewCaptain27 on 18 Feb 2019, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

bauc

Mercedes still with the longest wheelbase?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Sevach

f1316

Great comparison, thanks.

Two distinct types of front wings: Ferrari, Alfa and Torro Rosso with the ‘concertina’ wings (with hit of it on the Racing Point), and the others using a far more conventional shaped wing; Mercedes the only car I’ve seen with that slight inward facing endplate.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Godius

Overhead shot of the RB15 and STR14:

A lot of similarities, in terms of shared parts, but somehow the engine cover on the RB15 is not as tight as the one on the STR14. I expect there will be an engine cover upgrade in Melbourne.

Morteza

Brake duct fins on McLaren MCL34 and Mercedes W10 brake ducts
Via @NicolasF1i
Image Image
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

f1316

Sevach

Ferrari with an obvious copy of the style outlets Mercedes have been running for some time, Merc is still more compact but Ferrari closed the gap significantly.

Red Bull sticking to their guns.

patrik

f1316 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 13:24

Two distinct types of front wings: Ferrari, Alfa and Torro Rosso with the ‘concertina’ wings (with hit of it on the Racing Point), and the others using a far more conventional shaped wing; Mercedes the only car I’ve seen with that slight inward facing endplate.
RBR's and Mercedes' are almost interchangeable. Last element of the wing is almost vertical too.

f1316

patrik wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 02:18
f1316 wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 13:24

RBR's and Mercedes' are almost interchangeable. Last element of the wing is almost vertical too.
Except from the endplate on the Mercedes is pointing slightly inward.

MtthsMlw

motobaleno

Sevach wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 01:58

Ferrari with an obvious copy of the style outlets Mercedes have been running for some time, Merc is still more compact but Ferrari closed the gap significantly.
Maybe you are looking at the two lateral outlets beause if you look at the central higher one, ferrari's is significantly smaller than mercedes and the overall surface I guess would be roughly the same