Williams FW42

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
Morteza
1849
User avatar
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Williams FW42

Post by Morteza » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:27 pm

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by Morteza on Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

DiogoBrand
92
User avatar
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 6:02 pm
Location: Brazil

Williams FW42

Post by DiogoBrand » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:29 pm

The car actually looks better than I expected, the only thing I'm a bit curious about is the sidepod shape. The "Wide shoulder and big undercut" concept seems to have been abandoned by everyone else.

holeindalip
2
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:58 am
Location: USA

Williams FW42

Post by holeindalip » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:13 pm

DiogoBrand wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:29 pm
The car actually looks better than I expected, the only thing I'm a bit curious about is the sidepod shape. The "Wide shoulder and big undercut" concept seems to have been abandoned by everyone else.
This car has some stunning details, much better than anticipated, mirrors and front suspension look great.... I hope they can prove some doubters wrong this year!

madly
7
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:20 pm

Williams FW42

Post by madly » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:16 pm

And first look at the diffusor. Photo from AMUS.

Image

Front suspension with main car body integration:
Image

Just_a_fan
475
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Williams FW42

Post by Just_a_fan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:28 pm

The leading edge of the floor is different to most - it almost looks like a tunnel rather than the usual "long section of equal radius with devices below" that most use. Interesting.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

Enstone
31
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:20 pm
Location: Malaga/Paris

Williams FW42

Post by Enstone » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Nice front rims design... who's the manufacturer i guess Enkei ?
Go Ricci !

Godius
231
User avatar
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:49 am
Location: NL

Williams FW42

Post by Godius » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:35 pm

Don't know for sure if it is mentioned before but the rear view mirror housing looks like an outwash generating device at first sight.

Sevach
800
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Williams FW42

Post by Sevach » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:19 pm

I'm pleased that the render was just a FW41 with 2019 rules tacked on.

Some clever ideas, specially around the front.
The car is still incomplete btw... https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... g/4341179/

wesley123
218
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Williams FW42

Post by wesley123 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:23 pm

holeindalip wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:13 pm
DiogoBrand wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:29 pm
The car actually looks better than I expected, the only thing I'm a bit curious about is the sidepod shape. The "Wide shoulder and big undercut" concept seems to have been abandoned by everyone else.
This car has some stunning details, much better than anticipated, mirrors and front suspension look great.... I hope they can prove some doubters wrong this year!
I do hope so, but I don't want to get too excited. Last year's car looked amazing as well.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

santos
37
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Williams FW42

Post by santos » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:26 pm

Seems that some parts will arrive tonight, so they will start work on aero tomorrow.

GPR -A
90
User avatar
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Williams FW42

Post by GPR -A » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Something strange about the diffuser! Where are the strakes?

Image

ScrewCaptain27
506
User avatar
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:13 am
Location: Udine, Italy

Williams FW42

Post by ScrewCaptain27 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:30 pm

GPR -A wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:28 pm
Something strange about the diffuser! Where are the strakes?

https://i.imgur.com/iHKnGwF.png
It’s not finished.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Manoah2u
376
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Williams FW42

Post by Manoah2u » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Sevach wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:19 pm
I'm pleased that the render was just a FW41 with 2019 rules tacked on.

Some clever ideas, specially around the front.
The car is still incomplete btw... https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... g/4341179/
so, essentially, they're running an incomplete kit car........

right.

i don't see all the 'happiness' around supposed details. the car isn't much different from last year and that was a total embarassment. bringing the car this late, unfinished, is another embarassment and it's the start of 2019.
expected quite a different machine, but it's more of the same with minor differences.
differences that i would have expected to be there midseason last year - apart from the 2019 changes.

their FW looks a lot like RP's 2019 front wing during testing last year, only the upper part looks like it's a fair bit higher.

mirrors look very flat at the front and if so, that would make them pretty unaerodynamic.

only the front suspension looks pretty different.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

FW17
222
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 am

Williams FW42

Post by FW17 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:56 pm

Sad that the gear box casing is still cast aluminum, bespoke carbon case not happening this season I guess

FW17
222
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 am

Williams FW42

Post by FW17 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Morteza wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:39 pm

Image
What is the silver piece on the foot of the diffuser for? For a moment I thought it was a hole.