2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zibby43

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

F1Krof wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 20:58
Does not sound good.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... f-ferrari/
After three days of testing in Barcelona, ​​the alarm at Mercedes is official. Until now, one had to rely on the body language of the participants in the interpretation of the lap times and the balance of power between Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull or you had to read the answers between the lines. Meanwhile, team boss Toto Wolff admits officially that Ferrari has a faster car. Then he and his technical director James Allison packed the bags and started the journey home. In Brackley and Brixworth the lights will not go out in the next few days.

The official language in the team pushes Ferrari the clear role of favorites: "The picture is slowly building. Ferrari is faster on a lap, more consistent and incredibly reliable. That presents us with a great challenge. We have to fight back. That alone will keep the motivation in the team high. "The new Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto warns:" Mercedes is good at solving problems. If they're behind, they'll catch up quickly. "

Compared to Red Bull one believes oneself in the camp of the series world champion on eye level. Red Bull sees that differently. "We are ahead of Mercedes, and the times of Ferrari do not cause much concern," said Motorsport Director Helmut Marko.
Mercedes prepares Aero package

The gap to Ferrari is currently difficult to quantify. In any case, half a second, but possibly more. "It's hard to read the lap times because everyone seems to be driving a different program this year," the engineers explain. They also say that the distance to a lap is greater than the lap. Right now Ferrari wins everywhere. On the straight and in the curves.

On the track, the Ferrari already visually makes a better figure. "The Mercedes row in the curves more rum than the Ferrari," said Nico Hulkenberg. But even on the straight Ferrari drives away the silver arrows. Whether this is the lower air resistance or a more powerful engine, still needs to be analyzed. Ferrari should have significantly increased the engine over the winter. And the engineering department in Maranello persistently continued its philosophy of the previous year. Efficiency is the key.

At Mercedes, the hopes are now focused on a large aerodynamic package, which should come to the car in the second week of testing. The defending champion expects that even Ferrari ignites a second stage. And Helmut Marko promises: "The car you see here is not the car that will drive in Melbourne."
Sounds fine to me. Everyone buried Ferrari in testing last year. Some said that the Haas was nearly as fast the Ferrari. Ferrari was too talented a team to sit back and take the L.

Merc will respond.

TAG

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Will Buxton's Mercedes 2019 report.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dans79

This is rinse and repeat of the last two seasons. Mercedes is saying Ferrari is the best car to apply pressure.
197 104 103 7

Morteza

Here's what James Allison said after today's test
James Allison wrote:"Both drivers completed trouble-free race distances today and it was another very productive day for us in terms of knowing how hard we can lean on the tyres in these conditions. It’s all part of building the foundation for the week that will follow and it’s good to have those race distances tucked away so early in the test, leaving us able to focus a little bit more on performance tomorrow, but most of that work will come in the following week."
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zibby43

dans79 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 21:27
This is rinse and repeat of the last two seasons. Mercedes is saying Ferrari is the best car to apply pressure.
The only thing that is slightly concerning to me is the part about Toto and James packing up and going home early.

I've never seen that before.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 21:43
dans79 wrote:
The only thing that is slightly concerning to me is the part about Toto and James packing up and going home early.

I think that's just fake drama, and more like they are going back to the hotel.
197 104 103 7

zibby43

dans79 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 21:48
zibby43 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 21:43
dans79 wrote:

I think that's just fake drama, and more like they are going back to the hotel.
That's a good point. I think you're probably dead on there. It's tough picking up on little nuances like that through translation. Some bits stand out as being way more dramatic than they really are.

It's tricky being an F1 fan in the States sometimes when you're looking for good content. :lol:

Phil

From the AMuS article, they haven't gone to the hotel. Ferrari isn't saying much, but RedBull seems to think Ferrari looks strongest and from the AMuS article, Toto has confirmed that. Fake drama it may be, but I wouldn't see the logic in that. Considering the level of changes to this years aero and the different concepts at hand, I think it's only logical to assume that some got it wrong while some got it right. Evidently, Ferrari have opted for a different concept than Mercedes. It's not that hard to believe that one will prove to be quicker than the other, especially considering how close they were last year already.

The good news is; if this proves to be accurate, better they are taking things serious now, rather than later.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

miguelalvesreis

Seems a too radical reaction to such a deficit! If that difference really exists.

Enviado do meu SM-T820 através do Tapatalk

Just_a_fan

Phil wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 00:18
From the AMuS article, they haven't gone to the hotel. Ferrari isn't saying much, but RedBull seems to think Ferrari looks strongest and from the AMuS article, Toto has confirmed that.
When has Toto ever said "Ferrari are rubbish, we've got them beat already"?

RedBull are playing games. Simple as.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Phil

Or maybe they are not, Mercedes are behind and now they are focusing and doing everything in their power to change that? Still more than a month to go until it counts.

I have to say though, I’d much rather give these reports the benefit of doubt and discuss where and how they are losing, rather than slamming these reports as mind games.

To be fair though; i think Toto/Mercedes might already be in alert mode if their data showed them that they are less ahead than a few tenths vs their opposition. However if they really are behind and behind by that much (and believe that), i’d expect nothing less then what they appear to be doing (going to the factory).

We will see. Either way, it’s going to be a long season.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

LM10

Mercedes is totally capable of responding with significant changes to their car. IF they are behind by that margin, they've already started to search for solutions and will work 24/7 to find them. Mattia Binotto was right when he told that they need to be cautious because Mercedes is able to turn things around.

Capharol

Guys lets be honest, NOBODY but the team knows what's going on and where they stand, we Outsiders have to wait till Australia and not a day longer.
We can guess why Toto stepped on a plane, or why Mercedes is doing these or that, but all it is….. is guessing

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Phillyred

I think the Ferrari was the faster car last year at various points especially in race day trim. I'd rather be in the Mercedes camp .5s down going into Melbourne with Lewis behind the wheel and the boys and girls back at Brackley doing their thing. Seb is prone to implosions... Leclerc might just be the biggest threat to Merc this year.