Williams FW42

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
TwanV

Re: Williams FW42

Before we dismiss Williams for this, out of curiosity isn't an alu casing just common sense? what exactly is the benefit of a carbon housing for a gearbox? Aren't cars run with ballast in the regions of the car where the gearbox resides anyway?

EDIT:

Just_a_fan

It's just one of those things that F1 teams do. It's carbon fibre so it's good and it's expensive to develop so it's better! Except it isn't, of course. Nothing wrong with an aluminium gearbox casing. It does the job well enough.

You don't have to go with the latest/greatest every time. As Patrick Head said: "titanium is for people who can't design properly with aluminium". I guess his thoughts still shape the ethos of the team even now in some ways.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TwanV

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 11:13
As Patrick Head said: "titanium is for people who can't design properly with aluminium". I guess his thoughts still shape the ethos of the team even now in some ways.
Ha! that is a great quotation.

ScrewCaptain27

TwanV wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 11:00
Before we dismiss Williams for this, out of curiosity isn't an alu casing just common sense? what exactly is the benefit of a carbon housing for a gearbox? Aren't cars run with ballast in the regions of the car where the gearbox resides anyway?

EDIT:
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http ... st.png&f=1
Carbon casing is lighter, which means you can place more ballast lower down, which lowers COG and improves performance.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

TwanV

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 11:25
TwanV wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 11:00

EDIT:
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http ... st.png&f=1
Carbon casing is lighter, which means you can place more ballast lower down, which lowers COG and improves performance.
Given Paddy Lowe's comment that "..the potential benefits don’t outweigh the cost" I have some doubts that this CoG difference between the two is very substantial (with ballast), particularly since this has not been on their priority list since 2007.

I guess it's the way teams with smaller budgets have to survive, the most gains for the least amount of resources.

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

TwanV

New diffuser, "bargeboard" parts and rear wing? or is this the same RW as seen yesterday? This one seems to have more spikey bits

godlameroso

Lol that tiny wing at the rear of the crash structure.
Saishū kōnā

Ringleheim

I finally had a chance just now to take a good look at the new Williams.

It's kind of embarrassing how simplistic certain aspects of the car's design are, with emphasis on the front and area around the cockpit.

Williams was seemingly just trying to bang something out so as to have a new car to present to the world.

It's shocking to me how the mighty Williams has become Minardi. Actually, Minardi turned out cars with more design elegance than this FW42.

dren

It's obvious the car is missing bits around the barge board area. Williams has said they don't have all the parts on the car. Let's see what it looks like at the second test.
Honda!

dren

This metal bit looks temporary. I'd expect more to the front of the barge board and under nose area before the season starts.

Honda!

Giblet

munudeges wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 00:38
skwdenyer wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 19:45
Paddy Lowe has gone on record as saying that he’s come around to the Williams view on this - that the potential benefits don’t outweigh the cost.
What that means is there are benefits, and there obviously always is when you move from aluminium to carbon fibre, but Williams can't afford it.
Which is why he says the cost/benefit makes it not worth doing right now.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ScrewCaptain27

The mirrors have a weird concave shape:
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

jjn9128

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 14:31
The mirrors have a weird concave shape:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201902 ... 39170e.jpg
Mirror face is curved as well
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Morteza

FW42 seems to be the only car with such a cutting on the FW endplate
Via @NicolasF1i
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare