Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.

seezung

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

At the end of the first video, do I notice a Ferrari like mist coming from the exhausts? This was not there in previous seasons at Renault if I recall correctly

LM10

seezung wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 15:34
At the end of the first video, do I notice a Ferrari like mist coming from the exhausts? This was not there in previous seasons at Renault if I recall correctly
That’s dust.

hollus

I know everybody is eager to see the competition started, but just a gentle reminder to skip, if possible, posts which are only about whether one PU will be ahead or behind another PU.
This is the "Hardware and Software" thread.
Thank you for your help keeping the information density high and the fan hopes density low.

By all means, open threads to discuss relative performance! Just not in the car or in the PU threads or in general in the "hardware" threads.

Rivals, not enemies.

Mansell89

Positive day for the new Renault engine today? I wondered if they’d have some teething issues with the new engine iteration but a really strong lap count from the Works Renault and McLaren.

PABLOEING

¿some news about new 2019 engine in Renault?

Blackout

PABLOEING wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 13:10
New Renault engine with significantly more power
The new engine has much more power, according to Hülkenberg. He is not complete yet. In the second week of testing, the last components of the 2019 drive unit arrive. "It's difficult to feel more power this year because we've put up a brake parachute with the huge rear wings. The bottom line is that it feels like it used to be, "explains Hülkenberg.
The increase in power did not come without compromise in other places. "On the straights, the MGU-K switches off too early. But we are already finding a solution."
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ittelfeld/
Interview has been made before they solved the DRS issue.

_cerber1

I understand correctly that in 4 days of tests, the motor has never failed?

lio007

_cerber1 wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 21:03
I understand correctly that in 4 days of tests, the motor has never failed?
We don't know. Even though I'm sure it will not get public if there would have been issues.

PlatinumZealot

No one turns up their engines in week one.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Mansell89

Blackout wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 20:38
PABLOEING wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 13:10
New Renault engine with significantly more power
The new engine has much more power, according to Hülkenberg. He is not complete yet. In the second week of testing, the last components of the 2019 drive unit arrive. "It's difficult to feel more power this year because we've put up a brake parachute with the huge rear wings. The bottom line is that it feels like it used to be, "explains Hülkenberg.
The increase in power did not come without compromise in other places. "On the straights, the MGU-K switches off too early. But we are already finding a solution."
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ittelfeld/
Interview has been made before they solved the DRS issue.
Can anyone explain the MGUK switching off early and whether this is a concern or has been addressed etc?

ripleysend

Talk of the MGU-K prompts me to ask a question I've had on my mind for a while.

Does anyone know whether McLaren has gone with the Renault-supplied battery packs and e-motors that come with PU from Renault, or whether McLaren have fitted the McLaren Applied Technologies units that they developed (continue to develop?) for use with the Honda PU? To mate 'non-spec' McLaren parts to the Renault combustion unit would presumably be a big job, perhaps even a non-starter, from mechanical but also from electronic management perspective. Perhaps even, the the Renault PU now employs the McLaren parts as standard for both teams? The reason I mention this is that my understanding, from a good primary source, was that the equivalent McLaren battery pack and e-motors were a good deal lighter and more powerful than the Renault examples last year. But the move to Renault was confirmed way too late to make the necessary integration changes in time for last season. But maybe this season it's different and there was enough time to consider it?

mclaren111

ripleysend wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 11:41
Talk of the MGU-K prompts me to ask a question I've had on my mind for a while.

Does anyone know whether McLaren has gone with the Renault-supplied battery packs and e-motors that come with PU from Renault, or whether McLaren have fitted the McLaren Applied Technologies units that they developed (continue to develop?) for use with the Honda PU? To mate 'non-spec' McLaren parts to the Renault combustion unit would presumably be a big job, perhaps even a non-starter, from mechanical but also from electronic management perspective. Perhaps even, the the Renault PU now employs the McLaren parts as standard for both teams? The reason I mention this is that my understanding, from a good primary source, was that the equivalent McLaren battery pack and e-motors were a good deal lighter and more powerful than the Renault examples last year. But the move to Renault was confirmed way too late to make the necessary integration changes in time for last season. But maybe this season it's different and there was enough time to consider it?

If Mclaren can make that work it would be a nice performance differentiator in their favor...

Sieper

Indeed, I don't think they will be too happy to share proprietary information. They also have had one more year for themselves to make it work.

lio007

Can anybody hear something in PU-sounds?