Alfa Romeo C38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93

Re: Alfa Romeo C38

Isn't that a comparison between this and least years wheel, rather than driver to driver.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ESPImperium

After many years of the Ferrari steering wheel, no wonder Kimi wants a simple layout, as this was his Ferrari wheel from last year:

Simple layouts are better, but require more learning. My preference would be the McLaren wheel, however i do hear that there is a 44 page manual to it, and a simulator that can be taken on an aircraft for a driver to use with his engineers on the flight, most teams have this these days as i remember in 2017 that Brendon Hartley used 5 hours in the flight to navigate the STR wheel.

At least is isn't the Audi R18 e-tron quattro as it has a 128 page manual, a wheel simulator and an interactive test to do, that's what Allen McNish and Tom Kristensen both said in 2015 in the Le Mans coverage. Back then they were comparing Hulkenbergs wheel in the Porsche 919 Hybrid to the Force India wheel back then. McNish said that the old V8 era F1 wheels only had a 8 page PDF that got emailed to you, and called them a simple but expensive toy to a LMP wheel, even though they all cost circa $50,000 a wheel, probably $15,000 more now.

Wheels are a deeply personal thing, look at Hamilton when he went to Mercedes, he ditched 30% of the functions on his wheel, and went with a much more visual and colour based design to what Rosberg had. Less bull, more driving.

Blackout

Owen.C93 wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 23:25
Isn't that a comparison between this and least years wheel, rather than driver to driver.
Yes it's a comparison between the 2018 and 2019 steering wheels.

No need for an ice cream button IMO, it must be automatic.

sri1031raj

cplchanb wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 17:00
no ice cream button???? :lol:
joke is becoming stale now, but when thre is so much difference in steering buttons, will Kimi not miss some options

Big Tea

I know telemetry reply from the pits is not allowed, but is spoken commands from the driver? Cortana style?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon

Re: Alfa Romeo "2019 Contender"

In roll, the anhedral* front wing elements might provide more downforce to the inside wing, and less downforce to the outside wing. Static, the lift vectors are seemingly skewed something like 15 deg from vertical. As the car rolls, the angle of the inside front wing's downforce vector will reduce more favorably to vertical. 14 deg? 13 deg?

*Or is it dihedral? Since this is negative lift.

Dihedral in aircraft is associated with stability. Could there be a similar consideration here?

Another thought: Can this be considered an inwash wing? I know it's been brought up here. A big change in philosophy if so. The Y250 vortex will be the main one forming off this wing. The endplate vortices will be so small in comparison. It makes me wonder if most of the flow off the front wing will get pulled inside or over the front wheels. Due to the strength of the Y250 and the weakness of the endplate vortices.

Morteza wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 14:03
Also of note in this photo is the rear wing slot gap. It varies.

dtro

Is it possible that the Alfa/Ferrari style front wings are trying to accomplish something similar to what the notches in the floor by the rear tyres are trying to accomplish, namely sealing the the front wing/attempting to deal with tyre squirt in a different manner?

Probably way left field here, but that's why speculation is fun.

godlameroso

Re: Alfa Romeo "2019 Contender"

roon wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 00:34
In roll, the anhedral* front wing elements might provide more downforce to the inside wing, and less downforce to the outside wing. Static, the lift vectors are seemingly skewed something like 15 deg from vertical. As the car rolls, the angle of the inside front wing's downforce vector will reduce more favorably to vertical. 14 deg? 13 deg?

*Or is it dihedral? Since this is negative lift.

Dihedral in aircraft is associated with stability. Could there be a similar consideration here?

Another thought: Can this be considered an inwash wing? I know it's been brought up here. A big change in philosophy if so. The Y250 vortex will be the main one forming off this wing. The endplate vortices will be so small in comparison. It makes me wonder if most of the flow off the front wing will get pulled inside or over the front wheels. Due to the strength of the Y250 and the weakness of the endplate vortices.

Also of note in this photo is the rear wing slot gap. It varies.
This shape makes the y250 stronger, and the outer edges guide air flow in a more brute-force way than the vortex made by the outwash tunnel(although there's still a vortex involved). It uses the end plate to try to steer the airflow so that it can interact with the front wheel at a certain angle.

Well known meterology fact, tornadoes, which are just big ass vortecies, are caused by rising airflow interacting with strong shear winds. The tire is a spinning shear current generator, so if you get the vortex to hit the wheel at a certain angle interesting things happen. Like for instance at one angle the vortecies will split into smaller more stable but weaker vortecies, at other angles, they can even be strenghtened, with the downside that they're less stable to perturbations.

Or maybe they're just trying to combine the vortex made by the end plate foot plate, and the outer edge of the wing, as they're at similar height with regards to the tire. Helicity between 2 co-rotating vortices increases their strength.
Saishū kōnā

bill shoe

ESPImperium wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 23:53
After many years of the Ferrari steering wheel, no wonder Kimi wants a simple layout, as this was his Ferrari wheel from last year:

https://i.imgur.com/n3WWSiT.jpg

Simple layouts are better, but require more learning.
Wheels are a deeply personal thing, look at Hamilton when he went to Mercedes, he ditched 30% of the functions on his wheel, and went with a much more visual and colour based design to what Rosberg had. Less bull, more driving.
I can't help notice that in this high performance environment, there are no touch screens. Many knobs and buttons, but no touch screens.

Yet on the public roads people are using touch screens all the time and (in the U.S. anyway) the accident rate (fatalities per mile) is going up again for the first time since the modern safety revolution started in the ~60s.

F1 has much to teach the world about road safety here, but we ignore it and worship at the (touch screen) altar of Steve Jobs. Until we hit the light pole.

cramr

bill shoe wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 02:08
ESPImperium wrote:

I can't help notice that in this high performance environment, there are no touch screens. Many knobs and buttons, but no touch screens.

Yet on the public roads people are using touch screens all the time and (in the U.S. anyway) the accident rate (fatalities per mile) is going up again for the first time since the modern safety revolution started in the ~60s.

F1 has much to teach the world about road safety here, but we ignore it and worship at the (touch screen) altar of Steve Jobs. Until we hit the light pole.
Of course. For a touch screen you need to look what you press. With buttons and knobs most of the things can be done by memory and without looking. Hence faster

ESPImperium

bill shoe wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 02:08
ESPImperium wrote:

Exactly, its safer to have a physical button or rotary then have a touch screen. Touch screens are great, but in an automotive role they are the devil and are unsafe and high risk as you are continually adjusting on them.

And a touch screen can suddenly reboot, where as a button or rotary has a much lower failure rate.

Sometimes the best tech is simple, and sometimes the most simple tech is the most high performance. Link that with ergonomics and the human brains need for visualisation, and familiarisation, and memory.

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

F1NAC

Raising Merc game

Godius

MtthsMlw