Car comparisons across years and series

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

NutritionFact

Re: Car comparisons across years and series

Insane, how much car is Rollin around.... 😲
The last Pic is? Don't have words for this.

I saw Lewis McLaren 2008 in Stuttgart, and prosts 1984 McLaren in Zuffenhausen, and about the McLaren I think, damn, how less car is Rollin around.

They have to think about how much more air is in movement, if any team can engineer with wheater data, the win... 🤔

the 2019 cars are massiv as micro machines and matchbox 1:56

🤪 Crazy
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger

DiogoBrand

Brace yourselves. Comments about "How big cars hinder overtakes" are coming.

DiogoBrand

By the way, why is the 2008 car so far off the ground?

Just_a_fan

https://twitter.com/F1_Images/status/10 ... 61/photo/1

Scale's wrong on this one. Look at the rear tyres next to each other. The current tyres are only 10mm larger diameter than the 2007 tyres so they should basically be the same size at that scale. The rear tyres on the 2007 are noticeably smaller which suggests the cars aren't to the same scale.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

santos

DiogoBrand wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 04:30
Brace yourselves. Comments about "How big cars hinder overtakes" are coming.
For racing in Monaco, they definitely are. And i won't say that is the main problem, but i think it also one.

f1316

Nothing to do with overtaking for me, but in terms of perception of speed and liveliness of the cars, they need to be a lot lighter (and hence smaller).

Lots of decisions that have added up to them being the current size (2010 fuel tank changes, 2014 engine regs, 2017 aero regs etc.) all of which have incrementally added to minimum weight limits (among other things) and we ended up with cars that are extremely quick round a lap but don’t really look it at all.

Just_a_fan

The perception of speed would be helped by better camera angles at certain corners. I remember standing on the outside of Copse looking down the old start straight at Silverstone, watching cars approach head on and the direction change as they turned in to the corner at 170mph was breathtaking. Watch the same cars at the same corner but from 45 degrees off the straight ahead view and they just looked like any other racing car.

The TV direction and camera placement has a lot to do with how fast the cars look.

SiLo

We just need more static shots. My favourite is the one from turns 12&13 in Melbourne but behind the fence on the right hand side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPAOdt_KTs
Felipe Baby!

roon

---------------

jjn9128

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Just_a_fan

SiLo wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 15:58
We just need more static shots. My favourite is the one from turns 12&13 in Melbourne but behind the fence on the right hand side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPAOdt_KTs
That's a great example. On the TV coverage, there would be some form of panning shot which would kill the appreciation of the speed being carried.

I remember walking around Silverstone with Justin Wilson during his time at MInardi. Walking through Maggots he said something like "I get here and then <mimes applying steering lock very quickly>". I said I thought you'd have to feed in the steering to avoid unsettling the car. "If you do that, you'll be in the barrier over there somewhere because you're doing 180mph at this point". That was actually quite shocking to hear from a driver. We hear from pundits about how some drivers are gentle with the steering etc., but the reality is that they all still have to apply lock very quickly. Even the onboards don't really do justice to the distance being travelled during that second or so that the wheel is being moved.

There is nothing like standing next to the circuit and watching the cars cornering to make you realise how fast these things are. They are mind blowingly quick. TV doesn't do it justice at all.

S'funny how we blithly talk about a driver being "slow" or "useless" because he's half a second slower than his team mate. Half a second! That's blink of any eye territory and we call them "slow" or "useless". It beggars belief when one stops and thinks it through.

garyjpaterson

That first GP3/F1 pic looks really inaccurate.

This is much more accurate (if a little unfinished still..) 2019 F3 vs 2017 F1.
(Open in new tab for higher res)

roon

garyjpaterson wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 10:45

This is much more accurate (if a little unfinished still..) 2019 F3 vs 2017 F1.
(Open in new tab for higher res)

https://i.imgur.com/pmSEZTR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8c9es3m.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7ik3gDK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rpWCmwR.jpg
Those were rendered with perspective--the others are isometric views, making the foreground car appear larger in the case of the former, smaller in the case of the latter.

garyjpaterson

roon wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 00:06
garyjpaterson wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 10:45
Those were rendered with perspective--the others are isometric views, making the foreground car appear larger in the case of the former, smaller in the case of the latter.
Foreground car looking larger was not what I meant when I said they were inaccurate - it simply just doesn't resemble the GP3 car at all.