Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ian_s

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

wuzak wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 11:51
They're using pull rods.
You're right, I used the wrong term, its the front that's push rods, and I've also just realized that the direction of force for where the pull rod attaches would do the opposite of what I was thinking above.
So basically i was just plain wrong about the whole thing :lol:

NOS_ATX

I always wonder what this "hydraulic suspension" term means. Aren't all dampers that F1 use hydraulic? Or it is a specially description of the third/heave springs which used to feature mechanical inerters but right now people switch to hydraulic ones?

Mazdaboy

Finally here you can find Vettel and Hamilton lap comparsion from the test :)

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/ ... pared.html

And there is 0.003 sec :)

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

Mr.G

Mazdaboy wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 19:45

http://kep-feltoltes.info/image.php?di=Y14J
Sunday cruise for Vet :)
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

F1Krof

Mr.G wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 22:32
Mazdaboy wrote:

Sunday cruise for Vet :)
Walk in the park.
Wroom wroom

humble sabot

NOS_ATX wrote:
06 Mar 2019, 18:34
I always wonder what this "hydraulic suspension" term means. Aren't all dampers that F1 use hydraulic? Or it is a specially description of the third/heave springs which used to feature mechanical inerters but right now people switch to hydraulic ones?
I too wonder what people are saying here. It's very unusual to find a damper that isn't hydraulic on a vehicle made since well, a hell of a long time ago. Is it a quirk of translation somewhere? Are we talking about hydraulic anti-roll like on a mclaren road car?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Tzk
Tzk

Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Usually the spring is replaced by hydraulics on the dampers which users of this forum call „hydraulic“. Obviously the damping itself is hydraulic, but usually the spring is not.

Also formula cars use a three damper/spring setup with a damper between each wheel and the body and a damper between the wheels (heave element). Whis way you can have a stiff suspension in corners and a soft suspension when both wheels are pushed/pulled. This makes squatting on the straights possible, when using a hydraulic spring on the heave element.
Last edited by Tzk on 08 Mar 2019, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

paddyf1

Mazdaboy wrote:

Vettel ran wide at i think turn 12 that cost him a couple of tenths.

Mazdaboy

Yeah i think also, but look at Hamilton's lap how much tiny corrections he done. The Mercedes a little bit nervous underneath or he pushing to the limit? Vettel steer the car smoothly in/out the corners, with no unnecessary correction. There are a lot of potential in this car i think.
Last edited by Mazdaboy on 09 Mar 2019, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

timbo

Mazdaboy wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 15:11
Yeah it think also, but look at Hamilton's lap how much tiny corrections he done. The Mercedes a little bit nervous underneath or he pushing to the limit? Vettel steer the car smoothly in/out the corners, with no unnecessary correction. There are a lot of potential in this car i think.
Too many unknowns at this point to judge. Yes, it looks like there's at least half a second in store for Vettel (same for Leclerc on his lap), while Hamilton is visibly much closer to the limit. But we don't know relative fuel loads and how much engine is turned up.

NOS_ATX

Tzk wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 11:16
Usually the spring is replaced by hydraulics on the dampers which users of this forum call „hydraulic“. Obviously the damping itself is hydraulic, but usually the spring is not.

Also formula cars use a three damper/spring setup with a damper between each wheel and the body and a damper between the wheels (heave element). Whis way you can have a stiff suspension in corners and a soft suspension when both wheels are pushed/pulled. This makes squatting on the straights possible, when using a hydraulic spring on the heave element.
So basically Ferrari changed the heave element to a hydraulic inerter/whatever it's call nowadays instead of a conventional mechanical J-damper? That's kind of late since hydraulic inerter has been out couple of seasons already.

Tzk
Tzk

My understanding is that they've been using the hydraulic damper for a while, but the excessive squatting is new. I'm a bit torn if this is just a very soft heave element or if they managed to squat the rear on the straights.

PlatinumZealot

Tzk wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 09:18
My understanding is that they've been using the hydraulic damper for a while, but the excessive squatting is new. I'm a bit torn if this is just a very soft heave element or if they managed to squat the rear on the straights.
Hydraulic dampers like on regular road cars? Why is this seen as special? lol
For road cars, off the top of my head, you have regular old hydraulic (oil) dampers, gas dampers, and fancy magneto theological fluid.. you can route the fluid however you want it.. keep it all int he damper body or route it to another changer or some other device. The FRICS system was infamous for inter-connecting front and rear dampers. I am not sure what you guys are referring to this time though, but whatever Ferrari has it would be nothing new.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

aral

Yes, hydraulic dampers are used on normal cars, but the ones that Ferrari are reputed to be using, have multi valves in them which means that they do not just have a damped rebound, but they can control the rebound in a far better manner