Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gandharva

Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

Watched a few episodes now and it's really good, even if there is practically no technical topics going on. But just like the docus about Williams and McLaren there are some very interesting things that draw a clearer picture of some of the things that happened last season.

After watching EP4, for me, Ricciardos switch to Renault, in the end was nothing but a payback from Abiteboul to Horner. They lost the Engine deal, Abiteboul was pissed and so he lured Ricciardo in with a big 26,5 million pound paycheck. Seems like this worked out well. Poor Ricciardo appears in this light only as a plaything for a personal feud.

The story around Haas is also great. Steiners comments about Grosjean are brutal! :o

Watch it if you can!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8289930/

Spacepace

Re: Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

I love how Jonathan Neale just sh*ts on Grosjean all the time :lol: :lol: First episode was lame but it starts getting good when the get to the nitty gritty stuff like Vijay's piece(kinda sad to see him go). The whole Abiteboul and Horner part was awesome! The tension they captured in the day after Red Bull released press of getting Honda. The look on Cyril Abiteboul's face :lol:

Jozsusz

This series is pretty cool.
Love Stenier, the Horner vs Abiteboul fight was tense. But i still think that Ric moved because all of the RB’s tounge is in Max’s ass. He had to move. He had no choice.
The very big negativ point on the other hand is these fake sounds. So stupid. Seriously. Adding the V12 90’s sounds to the hybrids...always mixing the on board sounds. When they are showing a Ferrari adding a Merc sound. These stupid crash effects. Horrible.

the EDGE

The series really does bring insight into the biggest political stories of the year, I loved it

However what really stands out for me just how exciting and dramatic they manage to make the racing look, the slow mo’s of the Redbull crash at Azerbaijan are unbelievable

I appreciate obviously they have had time to pick the best clips, the best angles etc. but I think it really highlights just haw bad a job the FOM production team do on race day at portraying how dramatic F1 racing is with all their fixed camera wide angle shots which fail to portray the closeness of the racing and the speeds these guys are going at

It reminds me that F1 doesn’t need fixing, they just need to fix the production team

zeph

Watching episode 4, I suddenly developed the notion that we may well see Williams out of F1, which leaves Mercedes with one less customer team.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Daniel Ricciardo in a McLaren-Mercedes next year. 8)

subasurf

The series is okay, but that fake commentary and the extremely lame sound effects were starting to do my head in.

Webber2011

I'm watching it right now.
Loving it TBH.

Not technical at all, but some good behind the scenes stuff.

@Jozsusz
I have to agree mate, the way they have edited the sound is terrible 😡
I can't believe how wrong they've got it.

Anyway I'll finish watching and give a proper review 😉

zeph

It’s not a true documentary, it’s more like reality TV. I assume the idea is to attract a new and younger audience; as such the slick production is probably the right choice.

ChrisF1

Echoing the above, I hate the sound effects - particularly the accidents.

2.5 episodes in and I'm training indoors tonight so I'll put an episode on then as well.

Jozsusz

subasurf wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 05:29
The series is okay, but that fake commentary and the extremely lame sound effects were starting to do my head in.
That fake commentary is just terrible. Can’t stand it.
They even made the same commentary guy under the old footages xDDD that was just silly.

ScottB

Very interesting, the 4K footage is beautiful, wish we could get races in that quality!

The narrative structures certainly pick out Danny, Ocon, Leclerc, Cyril and Gunther as ‘the good guys’ while I’d say Horner, Max and the Strolls in particular don’t come across very well.

Grosjean being a bit of a joke, even among his own team is pretty brutal! I was already surprised he kept his seat, even more so now after seeing that.

flexcon

Jozsusz wrote:
subasurf wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 05:29
That fake commentary is just terrible. Can’t stand it.
They even made the same commentary guy under the old footages xDDD that was just silly.

I think this is about telling a story.

So all the sounds effects and the footage not fully joining up together is the most important.

Although it should still be on the list for next year ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schuttelberg

Didn't like it overall. Yet to see the last episode though.

I appreciate the mid field fights, but feels a bit hollow to not have the championship fight being the focus of the show.

The most enjoyable bits of the show was the uneasy tension between RBR and Renault. Also, I liked how they were able to zero in on the tension at Haas and feel Grosjean's vulnerability. Felt sorry for him being the butt of jokes in other teams, but he does crash and whinge a lot.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

RZS10

Fake drama, fake sounds, fake commentary, fake stories, fake everything ...

The commentary recorded after the fact acting like they're in the past was pure cringe - "he HAS to get into the points to stay in F1" and all that ---, that's just as bad as all those dating shows on TV or those documentaries with those pawn shops or gold hunters ... same low level of entertainment - entertainment being the key word here, it's not a documentary or behind the scenes but more of a show

The commentary itself with the fake "bad mic" effect on top recorded to match their storylines/rivalries and not taken from the race weekends is also really annoying

The 'stories' as i would call them were also really bad, for example how they've taken the animosity of probably every driver in the grid towards Magnussen and distilled it to a Hülkenberg/Magnussen feud, gave both of them some shitty lines which they recorded after the season and pretended like there was a huge showdown between Haas and Renault in the US with all the footage of Magnussen hunting down Hulk and him "struggling" with tyres or the engine when in reality Hulk got 6th with 8 seconds to Sainz and 13.5 to Magnussen with Ocon between the Haas and the Renaults - overall it was really bad how they cut the footage and team radio in a way to create their narrative....

All in all there's not nearly enough new info or insight for the 5 hour runtime - amazon's "GRAND PRIX Driver" McLaren behind the scenes series was way better and more interesting

Only thing it did is confirm views i have of people in F1 or certain things, like the preferential treatment of certain drivers at certain teams, how much of a lying, vindictive asshole Horner is and that everyone on the grid mocks Grosjean for his shitty driving

subasurf

^^^
What he said.
It sucked.