Williams FW42

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
cravenciak

Re: Williams FW42

nacho wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 13:26
Twitter reports say car looks nervous, no wonder though with the lack of testing and parts missing.
I think it's all about the missing parts. Both George and Robert did report that during some runs prior to thursday FW42 was surprisingly good.

McG

What's going on here?
F1 is dead.

Maritimer

McG wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 07:30

What's going on here?
Deflection testing, cameras watch the checkerboard stickers to calculate flex along the wing.

McG

Maritimer wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 08:28
McG wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 07:30

What's going on here?
Deflection testing, cameras watch the checkerboard stickers to calculate flex along the wing.
Wow didn't know a wing could flex upwards so much.
F1 is dead.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

McG

Shouldn't be difficult to modify for Australia. Williams used to do this kind of thing in testing back in the day but haven't noticed it in the past 10 years or so.
F1 is dead.

cplchanb

Is this car so bad that its thread doesnt even get to get stickied?? :(

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ScrewCaptain27

He mentions how the top vane that mounts to the chassis is non-structural, that is not true. If you look closely there are two small pins attaching it to the mirror. As far as I know there are visibility issues, they are the main reason it was rejected.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Manoah2u

McG wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 21:39
Shouldn't be difficult to modify for Australia. Williams used to do this kind of thing in testing back in the day but haven't noticed it in the past 10 years or so.
remember this team couldn't even get their car ready for testing, and meanwhile, the TD is gone.
wouldn't be 'too difficult' for a team like Mercedes. Williams, especially in the bad weather they're in now, is an entirely different story.

also, this isn't the williams from back in the day so that doesn't go anyway.

and don't forget how the entire car works together. the suspension has been designed like they did with a philosophy, so it has far greater impact than you'd think.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FW17

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 07:11
McG wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 21:39
remember this team couldn't even get their car ready for testing, and meanwhile, the TD is gone.
wouldn't be 'too difficult' for a team like Mercedes. Williams, especially in the bad weather they're in now, is an entirely different story.

also, this isn't the williams from back in the day so that doesn't go anyway.

and don't forget how the entire car works together. the suspension has been designed like they did with a philosophy, so it has far greater impact than you'd think.

The wishbone might not work as intended but it is just a matter of taping the lower wishbone and the additional piece together.

The mirror can be modified with last year's

I am not sure what the issue is with the rubber shroud over the top wishbone and upright connection

Moctecus

FW17 wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 12:14
The mirror can be modified with last year's
Motorsport.com says Williams will "change to a new version that the team has not run before".
FW17 wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 12:14
I am not sure what the issue is with the rubber shroud over the top wishbone and upright connection
The same Motorsport.com article says the shroud has been cleared by the FIA.

Zynerji

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 12:00
He mentions how the top vane that mounts to the chassis is non-structural, that is not true. If you look closely there are two small pins attaching it to the mirror. As far as I know there are visibility issues, they are the main reason it was rejected.
I called similar on the RBR. I think they are going to have to change them.

CLKGTR

Which fuel and lubricants Williams use this year? Petrobras went to McLaren and Williams signed with Polish oil company PKN Orlen, but I'm not sure if they supply them with fuel and lubricants... maybe they use Petronas product as Mercedes.

Racing Point uses Ravenol fuel and lubricants, they state it in their RP19 spec tech document, as well as switch from Motegi Racing wheels to OZ Racing.

In Williams FW42 tech specs document fuel is not mentioned, just that wheels are made by AppTech.

Any clues?

Drica

CLKGTR wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 01:03
Which fuel and lubricants Williams use this year? Petrobras went to McLaren and Williams signed with Polish oil company PKN Orlen, but I'm not sure if they supply them with fuel and lubricants... maybe they use Petronas product as Mercedes.

Racing Point uses Ravenol fuel and lubricants, they state it in their RP19 spec tech document, as well as switch from Motegi Racing wheels to OZ Racing.

In Williams FW42 tech specs document fuel is not mentioned, just that wheels are made by AppTech.

Any clues?
If i remember correctly (this was from like a year or two ago), all the merc customers use petronas fuels and lubricants but they are sponsored by other oil companies