Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
toraabe

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

One thing is peak power, another is drivability. The last year Renault engine drivability was generally poor and rough.

Jambier

After several years of "failure", I feel like this year will be the good one on closing the gap - at least being not to far -
Without RB arround, with good progress this winter, and with many people talking about the progress.

Funny thing is RB leaving Renault the year when it becomes better :D
Same situation than McLaren and Honda :D

I have high hope that this year will be the one, and 2020 for Honda, with then 4 PU's at almost the same level

Sieper

Wait and see first. I have heard promises of big gains over several winters now and they never fully materialized. Just a few nights of sleep and we will know more. I don't see the fact that RB is no longer a paying and data delivering customer as a benefit to producing the engine. Not having to listen to any wishes (at leats not from RBR) around packaging might produce some benefit but if that outweighs the aforementioned disadvantages is not a given. Q3 will tell us more.

PowerandtheGlory

Lots of pessimism and optimism on this topic. AMuS report renault as the second fastest team over longer runs!! (i think that’s optimistic even by my standards) :D :lol:
Mclaren looking good as well based on other reports. =D>
Based on what they are paying Honey badger... :wtf: .. surely they are aiming for podiums.. and they must know what package they have..
Roll on Q1.. and we start to see pecking order.
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Jambier

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 14:15
Lots of pessimism and optimism on this topic. AMuS report renault as the second fastest team over longer runs!! (i think that’s optimistic even by my standards) :D :lol:
Based on what they are paying Honey badger... :wtf: .. surely they are aiming for podiums.. and they must know what package they have..
Renault said that engine evolution is very good and match what they wanted.

But for the overall pace, they said that it's difficult to know between them, Haas, Alfa, TR and McLaren.
Well; almost every midfield team :lol:

Having one podium is the goal, but I think they know they are aiming for a lucky podium, like Force India had several years.

Actually I think they are a bit disapointed to see that everyone have made such big progress. They seem to be OK with their chassis target, but maybe target was to low (like 2018 engine target)

Let's hope they can make the car evolve and begin to join the 3 top teams. It would be great for F1 to have 4 top teams with 4 top driver and 4 different engine fighting :wink:

PowerandtheGlory

Jambier wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 17:07
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

But for the overall pace, they said that it's difficult to know between them, Haas, Alfa, TR and McLaren.

Having one podium is the goal, but I think they know they are aiming for a lucky podium, like Force India had several years.

Actually I think they are a bit disapointed to see that everyone have made such big progress. They seem to be OK with their chassis target, but maybe target was to low (like 2018 engine target)

Let's hope they can make the car evolve and begin to join the 3 top teams. It would be great for F1 to have 4 top teams with 4 top driver and 4 different engine fighting :wink:
Def would be great to see 4 top teams- agreed. :D

The step on the engine will only be revealed when we see how much power they can run in ‘party mode’ for a good grid slot and also then in race mode. They should now have more infrastructure in place to help build the car- and a top tier driver that knows how to win.
If you start higher up you can run in clean air, no cars, and you usually build a gap for a free stop like all the top teams- thats why its hard to win unlesd you start in the top 6 positions. Unless you have a hero driver and car combo... plus a safety car.
They are in a stronger position this year than in last years.
Fingers crossed for them this year.. [-o<
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Ground Effect

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 17:24
Jambier wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 17:07
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

Def would be great to see 4 top teams- agreed. :D

The step on the engine will only be revealed when we see how much power they can run in ‘party mode’ for a good grid slot and also then in race mode. They should now have more infrastructure in place to help build the car- and a top tier driver that knows how to win.
If you start higher up you can run in clean air, no cars, and you usually build a gap for a free stop like all the top teams- thats why its hard to win unlesd you start in the top 6 positions. Unless you have a hero driver and car combo... plus a safety car.
They are in a stronger position this year than in last years.
Fingers crossed for them this year.. [-o<
Speaking of party mode, have Renault made any remarks on that? Are they expected to be competitive in that area as well?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

dfegan358

Q3 In melbourne will reveal all regarding party modes.

I hope to see the engines converge in performance to aid a close competitive championship and offer more drivers the chance to win.

I fear it will be party modes of Ferrari and Mercedes will again be clearly superior hopefully Renault and Honda have closed the gap though.

Jambier

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 19:16
Speaking of party mode, have Renault made any remarks on that? Are they expected to be competitive in that area as well?
No words about it, but I think they always had a qualy mode, as everyone.
Sainz said during testing that there are 4 tenth between race and qualy mode. Not sure how accurate this is...

dfegan358 wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 19:36
Q3 In melbourne will reveal all regarding party modes.

I hope to see the engines converge in performance to aid a close competitive championship and offer more drivers the chance to win.

I fear it will be party modes of Ferrari and Mercedes will again be clearly superior hopefully Renault and Honda have closed the gap though.
Difficult to compare. Maybe a Haas / Renault comparison in Q3 can be made if both team are in Q3 and close on performance.

Regarding party mode don't forget that in 2019 oil burning will not be possible (second oil tank must be empty in qualy).
So Mercedes and Ferrari are losing performance here.

I think in qualy like in race, all engines will be much closer than before.

Sieper

The extra oil tank must be empty, but the normal oil reservoir will still be filled. There will likely still be plenty of oil to burn. FIA has never wanted to clamp down on oil burning. Maybe oil with fuel additives will be more difficult bUT perhaps they will just add the additives in the normal oil.

Jambier

I understand that "normal"oil can't go into combustion.

Or am wrong?

gruntguru

Oil burning is a necessity in piston ICE's. The question has always been teams deliberately creating excessive oil consumption to add to the restricted fuel energy rate.
je suis charlie

djos

Jambier wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 00:10
I understand that "normal"oil can't go into combustion.

Or am wrong?
It can, it just doesn't burn very well which is obviously not ideal in an efficiency formula.
"In downforce we trust"

trinidefender

gruntguru wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 00:15
Oil burning is a necessity in piston ICE's. The question has always been teams deliberately creating excessive oil consumption to add to the restricted fuel energy rate.
I've always been slightly skeptical to the benefits of this. Hot oil on the piston walls is prone to cause knocking is it not?

gruntguru

If they contrived to burn "extra" oil, it would be via the intake somewhere - turbo compressor seal, PCV valve, intake valve guides, etc. That helps avoid the issue of explosive end-gas.

Assuming the extra oil is homogeneously mixed in the chamber, the lean-burn, stratified, TJI system does a good job of avoiding knock with lower quality fuels.
je suis charlie