Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Godius

Re: Red Bull RB15

The exposure is quite good on this picture from week 1 day 3:

(click to enlarge)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105285627 ... 257849877/

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... r-19031201

Redbull's planned china update will be ready for melbourne.

djones
djones

KiLLu12258 wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 08:59

I wonder if this was actually to do with packaging issues around the Honda PU.

Jambier

KiLLu12258 wrote:

Was it the evolutions that Gasly crashed into winter testing?

Mr.G

djones wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 14:57
KiLLu12258 wrote:

I wonder if this was actually to do with packaging issues around the Honda PU.
I would say it would be more due to the diffuser stiffness, they obviously has had issues (use of the stiffner during test)
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

godlameroso

I would say it's a performance upgrade. Newey is excited and confident about it's potential so it was rushed out.
Saishū kōnā

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

godlameroso wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 17:35
I would say it's a performance upgrade. Newey is excited and confident about it's potential so it was rushed out.
Agreed it is unlikely they would of rushed through an update unless they'd found a substantial improvement performance.
Red bull said during testing that they had a upgrade coming to Australia so I imagine the parts that gasly crashed would of been development parts for that upgrade which will now of been mostly scrapped or changed to the china spec.

ME4ME

The article says they moved heaven and earth to get it done. Marko also says it is Red Bulls most expensive car ever.

gandharva

Maplesoup wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 19:04
Red bull said during testing that they had a upgrade coming to Australia so I imagine the parts that gasly crashed would of been development parts for that upgrade which will now of been mostly scrapped or changed to the china spec.
I expect to see the Melbourne parts and the new China stuff on friday. So this (maybe already reworked/optimized):
and on top of that some new parts. E.g. reworked diffuser and maybe already a tightened up bodywork at the rear.

PhillipM
PhillipM

godlameroso wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 17:35
I'd say some of that, some because of the test issues they had, and probably mainly because of the crashes wiping out all their spare parts anyway.

If you've got changes in the wings to resolve issues and you need to rush new parts through anyway because of crash damage - may as well take a risk and push through the development pieces you have in progress instead of stopping to make more of the first package.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Capharol wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 00:37
Chuckjr wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 00:00
Stahlkocher wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 22:43

I would rather say that the car is too slow so they did everything possible to get the fastest version possible to Melbourne. And that version is not the version they originally intended to race at Melbourne.
How on earth could you possibly know that? That's an extreme stretch, IMO.
not only a stretch, but a completly wild guess
In F1, speeding development isn’t an easy task, unless you are cutting some corners or not delivering the “finished” product... A big team like RBR doesn’t build 30 days of contingency into their development plans... If they are rushing upgrades that weren’t supposed to be ready until China, that means that they think that even when they may not be finished, they need them as soon as possible to rectify an issue or improve performance that the original plan didn’t indicate they would need so soon.

Teams will continue development until the final possible moment... So, if they are rushing upgrades that weren’t supposed to be ready until China, it’s probably because they think that they need that additional performance right now... Is it because they think that with it they can win in Australia or is it because they feel that without them they would be too far behind? I believe is the latter one, but we will find out in a couple of days

Bumper cars
Bumper cars

[/quote]
In F1, speeding development isn’t an easy task, unless you are cutting some corners or not delivering the “finished” product... A big team like RBR doesn’t build 30 days of contingency into their development plans... If they are rushing upgrades that weren’t supposed to be ready until China, that means that they think that even when they may not be finished, they need them as soon as possible to rectify an issue or improve performance that the original plan didn’t indicate they would need so soon.

Teams will continue development until the final possible moment... So, if they are rushing upgrades that weren’t supposed to be ready until China, it’s probably because they think that they need that additional performance right now... Is it because they think that with it they can win in Australia or is it because they feel that without them they would be too far behind? I believe is the latter one, but we will find out in a couple of days
[/quote]

Spot on... The link below brings you to a Japanese article about Honda, Red Bull and the results of the wintertest. Now, I guess most are a bit rusty on Japanese, but if you translate it in English (I used 'right click' and 'translate in English' in Chrome) you'll find at the top of page 4 a very interesting bit. I'll quote the raw translation...

http://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/moto ... ndex_4.php
In terms of sector time, sector 2 with many fast corners is not very fast. This means that Red Bull's aero performance is not very high. "The point was an unexpected situation," said a team official. That seems to have led to the poor comments of both drivers.
Sure, you can discard it as just one article or bad translation, but I agree with SmallSoldier.

Capharol
Capharol

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 00:46
Capharol wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 00:37
Chuckjr wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 00:00

How on earth could you possibly know that? That's an extreme stretch, IMO.
not only a stretch, but a completly wild guess

well i heard rumours that the parts they bring now were so promising that they rather have them in Melbourne already.
Nothing was broke, it wasn't bad or they were behind, it's just they (again rumour) they gained significant time with these parts

if this is true we will never exactly know, but let see and may the best team/driver win

carisi2k

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 00:46
Is it because they think that with it they can win in Australia or is it because they feel that without them they would be too far behind? I believe is the latter one, but we will find out in a couple of days
I believe the former. The car was quick in testing and only a few tenths behind ferrari. This could put them equal or ahead. They might only have 1 of the parts for back to back testing and so max might get this part in Australia before Pierre does in China.

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

Bumper cars wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 01:45
Spot on... The link below brings you to a Japanese article about Honda, Red Bull and the results of the wintertest. Now, I guess most are a bit rusty on Japanese, but if you translate it in English (I used 'right click' and 'translate in English' in Chrome) you'll find at the top of page 4 a very interesting bit. I'll quote the raw translation...

http://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/moto ... ndex_4.php
In terms of sector time, sector 2 with many fast corners is not very fast. This means that Red Bull's aero performance is not very high. "The point was an unexpected situation," said a team official. That seems to have led to the poor comments of both drivers.
Sure, you can discard it as just one article or bad translation, but I agree with SmallSoldier.
I think what you've read you've taken slightly out of context. I think what they mean to say is the compared to the Ferrari they are losing out in the corners due to aero performance. It seems that they feel that are within 0.2 to 0.3 seconds of Ferrari's race pace or qualifying pace (I can't be sure which they are trying to refer too). If you read the previous page and the next all their comparison's are around the Ferrari and how fast it is. The fact that that article is split into pages doesn't really help.

The upgrade could of been spurred on by that, if they've seen a 0.3 gain that they could bring to Australia to make them competitive with Ferrari then why not push through and bring it.

Maybe this is also a little bit of a chance to give a "screw you" too Riccardo. If they win his home race there are going to be a lot of questions for him about the choice that he made to move to Renault.

I would doubt that a team would actually push forward development just for that reason, but I would also imagine some ego's are a bit sore about him leaving for their ex-engine supplier.