2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dr_cooke

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

_cerber1 wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 13:18
Question Judging by the results of the tests, McLaren will be ahead of the teams of the middle group?

Carlos Sainz: We'll see. In the last week of tests, we did everything we needed and were pleased with the way the training went. The team is satisfied with the progress in two weeks of tests - we more or less got what we wanted from the car and the settings. At the base, everyone is enthusiastic, and this adds to my own motivation. Yes, we do not yet know what positions we are in, but it was great to pass the distance on the tests and to feel that we are ready for the start of the season.

Question: On the tests you showed the best time at the end of the sixth day. Does that give confidence?

Carlos Sainz: We have not yet checked the maximum speed of the car, so it's hard to say. We will do this only during qualification in Australia. I only care about the result on the stopwatch, and not the feeling of control. If the car has understeer, but in speed we will be ahead of the teams of the middle group, I will be happy, and you can always adjust to the features of the car.

Question the Team brought new items to Melbourne

Carlos Sainz Yes, a few new elements, but nothing that would seriously change the car. We took with us three or four new parts to solve the problems with the balance that prevented in Barcelona. The team is moving in the right direction, listens to the racers and prepares new items, taking into account our wishes.

Question a New power plant Renault inspires optimism

Carlos Sainz: In the tests it was like that, but in Barcelona we drove with low downforce, and this was partly due to our high speed on the straights. In qualifying, we learn how much progress made in Renault.

Question: On tests, did you try to increase engine power for qualification?

Carlos Sainz: Maybe! (laughs) Exactly what's not on my fast lap. Hope we have this mode. It’s not a long time to go - you will learn everything in a day. In fact, already after the second training session, we will have the first idea of ​​what positions we are in.
Difficult to understand that translation... was original in Spanish?

charliesmithhd

dr_cooke wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 14:32
_cerber1 wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 13:18
Question Judging by the results of the tests, McLaren will be ahead of the teams of the middle group?

Carlos Sainz: We'll see. In the last week of tests, we did everything we needed and were pleased with the way the training went. The team is satisfied with the progress in two weeks of tests - we more or less got what we wanted from the car and the settings. At the base, everyone is enthusiastic, and this adds to my own motivation. Yes, we do not yet know what positions we are in, but it was great to pass the distance on the tests and to feel that we are ready for the start of the season.

Question: On the tests you showed the best time at the end of the sixth day. Does that give confidence?

Carlos Sainz: We have not yet checked the maximum speed of the car, so it's hard to say. We will do this only during qualification in Australia. I only care about the result on the stopwatch, and not the feeling of control. If the car has understeer, but in speed we will be ahead of the teams of the middle group, I will be happy, and you can always adjust to the features of the car.

Carlos Sainz Yes, a few new elements, but nothing that would seriously change the car. We took with us three or four new parts to solve the problems with the balance that prevented in Barcelona. The team is moving in the right direction, listens to the racers and prepares new items, taking into account our wishes.

Carlos Sainz: In the tests it was like that, but in Barcelona we drove with low downforce, and this was partly due to our high speed on the straights. In qualifying, we learn how much progress made in Renault.

Carlos Sainz: Maybe! (laughs) Exactly what's not on my fast lap. Hope we have this mode. It’s not a long time to go - you will learn everything in a day. In fact, already after the second training session, we will have the first idea of ​​what positions we are in.
Difficult to understand that translation... was original in Spanish?
I understand most of it except the engine mode part, not sure what he meant

_cerber1

charliesmithhd wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 14:33
I understand most of it except the engine mode part, not sure what he meant
Carlos did not use the qualification mode on his fast lap, and so far he cannot say where they are according to pure speed.

mclaren111

Is it possible MCL34 balance's issues are mechanical / suspension due to the "lack" of aero updates ??

If so, what could they be ??

Thank you...

SmallSoldier

_cerber1 wrote:Question Judging by the results of the tests, McLaren will be ahead of the teams of the middle group?

Do you have the link to the interview?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ground Effect

There's a bit about Mclaren, in commercial terms in this article

https://m.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/fer ... e-20190314
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Chicane

“We know that there's not loads of limitations. There's one or two main things, and if we can improve them, then overall we'll improve the balance of the car.”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... n/4352451/
Quickshifter

charliesmithhd

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14211 ... mula-1-car
Surprised that they used part of the mcl34 in this video after their bashing of the car

_cerber1

Sieper

Ooooh, that is Nice! But I like the Papaya just as well.

hecan

This look insanely cool. Also has more visibility for sponsors and that cool paint that is lighter. Why isn't it in the car right now? XD

FittingMechanics

For those that didn't watch FP1, during it, Crofty said someone from one of the big 3 teams told him they believe McLaren may be 4th in race pace. He mentioned this when they talked with Zak during the session.

Would align with that data driven analysis we talked about earlier.

Ground Effect

FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 04:38
For those that didn't watch FP1, during it, Crofty said someone from one of the big 3 teams told him they believe McLaren may be 4th in race pace. He mentioned this when they talked with Zak during the session.

Didn't really follow FP1, but saw they finished 14th and 18th. On the face of this, seems disappointing, except they're running a specific programme without really doing performance runs yet.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 04:45
Didn't really follow FP1, but saw they finished 14th and 18th. On the face of this, seems disappointing, except they're running a specific programme without really doing performance runs yet.
Midfield looks really close so far so even a small difference in programme will have a lot of effect. From my cursory glance, track was gaining a lot of grip as time progressed so teams that did their fast runs later on tended to do better. Kvyat, Kimi and Hulk did their runs in last 15 minutes. Given that this is a street track, that is expected.

Hard to tell anything really, but thought it was interesting that apparently some teams think McLaren looks decent. Zak had a cautious response to the comment, in line with their humble approach they are taking this year.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 15 Mar 2019, 04:55, edited 2 times in total.

SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 04:38

They run the beginning of the sessions on Hard Tires, then moved to Soft Tires... If we take a look at the times, they are not that far off (4 tenth from Räikkönen which was best of the rest)... Also, separated by 1-2 tenth from Renault.

I read on the Mclaren Team Stream feed that the setup for Norris was inducing understeer and done so on purpose to avoid him putting the car in the wall in the first session... Guess they are just bedding in the car and building speed... But with 4 tenths from P6, it isn’t something to be way too concerned about yet.

It’s only FP1!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk