2019 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 15-17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jambier

Re: 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 15-17

GPR -A wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:52
Jambier wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:47
GPR -A wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:37
FP2 lap times, side by side. To put in a summarized manner, Ferrari is behind by 4 to 5 tenths and Red Bull is behind by around a second (based on Gasly's time as Verstappen didn't have a comparable long run).
1s off for RB is not what will happen for sure.
Last year they were very close of Mercedes in FP2

Do you have same thing for Renault ? Ricciardo is reporting having trouble and being slow in race sims when Hulkenberg race sims seems pretty good.
On Race pace, Renault is ahead of RB by 2 to 3 tenths.

Click to enlarge.
https://i.imgur.com/UOl8PUy.png
=D> Thanks man

MadIggy

Hej, where do you get those lap times from?

GPR-A

MadIggy wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:55
Hej, where do you get those lap times from?
https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula- ... ormation-1

Jambier

BwajSF wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:53
Ric is new to the team so it might take a race or two to completely get dialed in with the car and its consistency. But Hulk knows the team and the car better so he is more consistent for the time being.

Or

May be it may be down to the set-up whatever it is it will be sorted out tonight and the car will be up for it tom Hopefully.
I believe Hulk is the most underrated driver in the paddock and going against a big name like Ric is the best way to assess them.
That's what RIC said : HUL know the team better, is quick to find setup, so for now RIC will try to copy him (very honest from RIC to say that)

I think this is obvious but: We can see that many teams and drivers are struggling to setup this new regulations cars quickly, and to make tyre works properly

I assume in a couple of races each team will fully understand the car, tyres, and will be able to setup the car properly so we will be able to compare ranking.
Until that, it will not be clear

GPR-A

Jambier wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:57
I assume in a couple of races each team will fully understand the car, tyres, and will be able to setup the car properly so we will be able to compare ranking.
That is too "wisdom-full" oasis in this desert of uninformed and hyper excited fans and so called experts.

BwajSF

By the First glimpses of Car on Track The pecking order looks more like

Mercs - Ferrari 0.2 between them max

Redbull 0.5 behind

Renault & Alfa
Closely chased by Haas
Mclaren
Racing Point
Toro rosso

2 seconds
Williams

BwajSF

Jambier wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:57
BwajSF wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 11:53
Ric is new to the team so it might take a race or two to completely get dialed in with the car and its consistency. But Hulk knows the team and the car better so he is more consistent for the time being.

Or

May be it may be down to the set-up whatever it is it will be sorted out tonight and the car will be up for it tom Hopefully.
I believe Hulk is the most underrated driver in the paddock and going against a big name like Ric is the best way to assess them.
That's what RIC said : HUL know the team better, is quick to find setup, so for now RIC will try to copy him (very honest from RIC to say that)

I think this is obvious but: We can see that many teams and drivers are struggling to setup this new regulations cars quickly, and to make tyre works properly

With Ric its more simple and no bullshit.... Nice guy...

GPR-A

Link -> Vettel: Mercedes "much stronger than they claimed"
Speaking after Friday running, Vettel jokingly referred to pre-season claims of Mercedes' struggles as “bullshit”, before adding that he was genuinely surprised by the German team's performance.

“It was a bit of a surprise,” he said. “I thought they looked really quick.

“And I don't know if it was just us struggling a bit today, or also others, but as a matter of fact I think they were in a league of their own.

“Maybe everyone else was struggling and then we can turn it around, but yeah, they look certainly very strong and much stronger than they claimed before the weekend.”

Asked why Ferrari lacked pace compared to Mercedes in FP2, Vettel said: “We don't know the reasons but we're looking for them. If you find them, let us know and lead them to our garage.”

The German said Ferrari “didn't get into the groove” on Friday, and believes there's a lot of laptime to be picked up once he regains confidence in the car.

“I can feel I have the car under me that I had in testing, but it doesn't do the same things, it's not doing exactly what I like here and there, and that's why I'm lacking confidence,” he explained.

“I don't think it was awful, I think here and there there were bits that were really really good, and [that] we can build on.”
Those who watched both the practices, know that, Mercedes was quite twitchy on almost all their runs through both practices. They do have their own issues at this point to sort out.

iotar__

BwajSF wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 12:00
By the First glimpses of Car on Track The pecking order looks more like

Mercs - Ferrari 0.2 between them max

Redbull 0.5 behind

Renault & Alfa
Closely chased by Haas
Mclaren
Racing Point
Toro rosso
2 seconds
Williams
- also deducted from the times, testing, engines and names of the teams
- obligatory reminder that Australia is not a representative track
- Williams :shock:

Schuttelberg

Good to see one bloke call it like he sees it.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

GPR-A

zibby43 wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 09:24
Ferrari front left from FP2:

https://twitter.com/albertfabrega/statu ... 68480?s=21
Weather prediction for tomorrow, is going to be far more hotter than today.

Schuttelberg

If someone can please make Williams decent again. I remember a few years ago, I was near begging for them to be in a title fight again and here I am almost begging to see them be decent again.. Sport can be a bit too painful sometimes!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

GPR-A

Other than the top two teams, I am expecting some shocks in qualifying tomorrow, if the FP2 long run pace is anything to go by. =P~

BwajSF

GPR -A wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 12:15
zibby43 wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 09:24
Ferrari front left from FP2:

https://twitter.com/albertfabrega/statu ... 68480?s=21
Weather prediction for tomorrow, is going to be far more hotter than today.

https://i.screenshot.net/9p3x2ul
Ferrari were reported to be using different wheelhub designs for the left and right wheel itself.
so may be now they know which hub not to use for the weekend...

Capharol

GPR -A wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 12:24
Other than the top two teams, I am expecting some shocks in qualifying tomorrow, if the FP2 long run pace is anything to go by. =P~
well it isn't, and you are (as we all are) only guessing ..... just stop for a bit with these assumptions and stick to the facts.
because you can't base a short run with a long run and especcially not a Qualifying run.....