Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mr.G

Re: Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

If there is next season Robert Kubica will have one episode for sure.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

zac510

subasurf wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 05:29
The series is okay, but that fake commentary and the extremely lame sound effects were starting to do my head in.
Me too, it was like I was watching a 45minute long movie trailer with every cliche soundtrack. They even seemed to have dubbed extra splash noises over Horner+drivers jumping into the Monaco pool.

I like the premise of it though. It'd be great to release episodes mid-season so they feel current, but there must be so much footage to comb through and edit. Just get rid of the ridiculous sound effects!

HiddenIncome_

It's great that F1 is out there but as others have mentioned this was all too dramatised and fake for me

It's even been edited in a dodgy way, such as Grosjean pushing that camera man out of the way in the pit-lane to make him look like a bad guy but if you find and watch the other angle it was to stop the camera man smacking his head on an airline/gantry :roll:

munudeges

Spacepace wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 02:24
The look on Cyril Abiteboul's face :lol:
I'm not surprised. The press releases that Renault out said it all as well. You could certainly read between the lines on that one.

Ringleheim

the EDGE wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 04:10
The series really does bring insight into the biggest political stories of the year, I loved it

However what really stands out for me just how exciting and dramatic they manage to make the racing look, the slow mo’s of the Redbull crash at Azerbaijan are unbelievable

I appreciate obviously they have had time to pick the best clips, the best angles etc. but I think it really highlights just haw bad a job the FOM production team do on race day at portraying how dramatic F1 racing is with all their fixed camera wide angle shots which fail to portray the closeness of the racing and the speeds these guys are going at

It reminds me that F1 doesn’t need fixing, they just need to fix the production team
Interesting comments. For years, I have argued that the traditional camera work in F1 does almost nothing to convey the speed of the sport. On the contrary, the long lenses we see looking down the start/finish straight, for example, make the cars almost look like they are standing still, or going 30 KPH. You have no conception that the car is going around the length of a soccer pitch every second.

I think camera angles are chosen show to show clearly what is happening, as compared to showing what is happening with a flair of drama.

I think they need to pay more attention to the dramatic side of the photography and mix more of that into the normal stuff, every so often.

Redragon

F1NAC wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 20:11
I don't know why but I can't stand that Jonathan Neale guy(looks annoying). All since that Grand Prix Driver mini series. And that joking with Grosjean, amongst all in paddock, McLaren guys mocking others....

Also as they did that story Ocon/Perez/ForceIndia, they really painted Perez as a bad guy, and Esteban as a good guy, never at fault...

All in all, I loved Steiner talk with Haas without censoring :D
It really shows what a stupid Neale is, laughing to others mistakes and failures, I didn't like him when he did an interview for Sky F1 3 or 2 years ago when he was already critizing Honda with an ego actitude as if Mclaren were gods, he was the one pushing for the engine change but didn't work out as he intended finishing out of the F1 team for good

Redragon

Ringleheim wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 20:17
the EDGE wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 04:10
The series really does bring insight into the biggest political stories of the year, I loved it

However what really stands out for me just how exciting and dramatic they manage to make the racing look, the slow mo’s of the Redbull crash at Azerbaijan are unbelievable

I appreciate obviously they have had time to pick the best clips, the best angles etc. but I think it really highlights just haw bad a job the FOM production team do on race day at portraying how dramatic F1 racing is with all their fixed camera wide angle shots which fail to portray the closeness of the racing and the speeds these guys are going at

It reminds me that F1 doesn’t need fixing, they just need to fix the production team
Interesting comments. For years, I have argued that the traditional camera work in F1 does almost nothing to convey the speed of the sport. On the contrary, the long lenses we see looking down the start/finish straight, for example, make the cars almost look like they are standing still, or going 30 KPH. You have no conception that the car is going around the length of a soccer pitch every second.

I think camera angles are chosen show to show clearly what is happening, as compared to showing what is happening with a flair of drama.

I think they need to pay more attention to the dramatic side of the photography and mix more of that into the normal stuff, every so often.
As a person working on live video as well as on post production, it is really difficult to produce the same kind of dramatic tension on live stream production as you don't know what it is to unfold where as the documental they know already the ou come, in live stream you might focus on one battle for example but that bet coudld result that you miss other great battle unesppected during that time, but on postproduction they just need to revisited with more time what it happen to create even more drama with the editing.

Redragon

I think the series is thought and design for new audiences that never have been really fans of the sport. It is clear on the enphasis on new drivers and specially on Haas team which is American where probably this new owners want to sale the sport most.
I founded a great way to recap and do highlights of the last season but that's all. A nice watch despite of the face sounds and comments, specially before this season is starting.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Pyrone89

If they are smart they release it in January every year when the withdrawel symptoms of F1 fans and racefans in general are at peak levels.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

digitalrurouni

I enjoyed the --- out of the show and I recommended it to my friends and they all loved it and they didn't know F1 was that interesting. Fake or otherwise it's based in reality of what happened so I think Netflix did a great job. Looked fantastic on my 4k OLED and the sound was amazing too. It's like a longer version of those MotoGP documentaries that were made. Those I enjoyed a lot as well.

Morteza

:lol:
Via @tgruener
Last edited by Morteza on 25 Jul 2019, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

digitalrurouni

Morteza wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 12:26
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAUGw0DW4AA7if2.jpg
Via @tgruener
haha thanks for sharing that. Hilariously worded notice!

strad

:? That is the exact notice that is posted when doing filming at the televised auctions and stuff like that. what so strange in the wording to your thinking?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pyrone89

strad wrote:
25 Jul 2019, 19:25
:? That is the exact notice that is posted when doing filming at the televised auctions and stuff like that. what so strange in the wording to your thinking?
Smile for the camera bit in an otherwise very serious legal notice.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.