F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
flexcon

Re: F1 OTT service - where will it be available?

nevill3 wrote:Now TV are offering the whole F1 season (Nine months) for £195 up front. The deal gives you access to all 11 sky sports channels.

If you use theTop Cash Back website you can get £5.00 back too even if you are a Now TV existing customer.
What a crap offer though

It was £150 before

That’s still £19 a month where we Sky is £10

at this rate i’ll just get my next door neighbour to sign up to sky offer and use there SKY Go account

It beyond my range of paying and i’m sure i’m not the only one.

£140 and i’d probably hop into my savings account and do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juzh

I just went trough F1tv FAQ on their website and I noticed the PRO version is supposed to be getting a few new things this year:

https://f1tv.formula1.com/en/faq
In the "What is F1 TV and what do I get with it" section:

Everything with F1TV Access plus the following:

Live Race Coverage
On-board Driver Cameras
Full Unedited Team Radio
Full race replays, immediately after the race has ended
Historic race archive
Head to Head / Battle mode – App only
Pit Lane Channel
Data Channel
Driver Tracker Maps

I don't know if these 3 last feeds were already listed last year, but I do know they weren't available to watch. I did a quick google search on how this feeds may look like (i was primarily interested in the "data channel", since the other 2 are nothing new), this is what came up:

I'm almost 100% certain this is the feed some pay tv broadcasters will get this year: german sky (confirmed in their TV guide), spanish movistar, maybe ziggo sports, unsure about SKY UK since they get their own race control version. This version includes the "onboard mix" channel, which sadly isn't listed in the F1tv PRO feed list, but even only the DATA channel would be a superb adittion in my opinion. It would give us f1 nerds on this forum massive amounts of data to munch trough and compare cars and their strenghts / weaknesses against each other MUCH more easily and with higher precision.

Personally I can't wait to see this in action in a few day time.

MtthsMlw

zeph

Quick question for those who used the official live stream last year: the consensus was that it was terrible at first, but do you feel it improved over the season?

I'm ready for the race, but don't wanna miss anything and wonder if I should get YouTube TV so I can watch it on ESPN if F1 TV isn't up to the task.

Thanks.

gandharva

Make sure you have a backup plan. They COMPLETELY --- it up today. FP1 and FP2 did not work at all for me and lot's of other subscribers. They added a bunch of new "features" but still failed to deliver the basics. Stream still not 50hz. No Chromecast support. Connection issues all over the place. Endless buffering and so on. TATA is a bunch af bloody amateurs when it comes to streaming.

I still have a running subscription from last year, but atm, I'm not going to resubscribe.

meteoro300

I subscribed last night. F1 has a free 7 day trial. The user experience is not the greatest. I was watching FP1 and FP2, I kept loosing video, sound would stay. Oh, the sound was HORRIBLE! You could barely hear the commentators, and the cars were obnoxiously loud. The odd part is that it is the SKY telecast (in the US at least), I switched over to ESPN and it sounded perfect. I dont know what the issue was.
The main reason why I decided to try it out is because we dont get much post or pre race commentary. I thought I would be able to see more, but on the contrary, its worst than ESPN, as soon as the clock hit 0:00, the telecast was over. At least ESPN gives us a few mins more of the Sky telecast. I also wanted to see if we could get Ted's Notebook, and the mid week report. But I dont think those are available either. We have to make do with paddock pass. But i can get that for free in youtube.
I will see how the race fares, but i dont think its worth the $80 dollars a year.

ME4ME

I also signed up for the 7-day-trail and I'm equally disappointed for the same reasons.
I cannot understand that they have these issues after a full year of service. The viewing experience is just not good enough. Not for a paid service. Especially not for Formula 1's own official product.

zeph

Thanks all for sharing your experience.

I have only used F1TV for the archive and wasn’t sure about the streaming. I just subscribed to Youtube TV, and have ESPN as a backup.

Cuky

F1TV worked flawlessly for me today, which is a first from around Hungarian GP last year.

What I still don't like is that they use audio from SkyF1 for English commentary. I have nothing against them, but they do SkyPad analysis between, for example, Q2 and Q3 and they are showing something and explaining it, but we can't see that even though we have to listen to that. Whats more, during that time today there was a Team Radio (with Ricciardo if I am not mistaken) which we weren't able to hear clearly because SkyF1 team was talking over it doing their analysis.

Why can't LM use Buxton and others who commentated during morning test sessions so that we can have normal experience?

lio007

Can anybody tell how I get the "data-circle" on F1TV?

Juzh

lio007 wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 10:53

https://i.imgur.com/1NZxEz1.png
this is all done in post-processing with obs, premiere pro, android emulators and some other software... it's not a "feature" you can toggle on or off during live streams or on replays.

ME4ME

Totally unacceptable service from F1TV this weekend. Missed pretty much the first third of the race because of the stream dropping out. The F1TV page is junk at the moment.

Honestly can't recommend F1TV Pro to anyone at this moment. Get something else if there's any other alternative in your region. :cry:

lio007

Juzh wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 13:46
lio007 wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 10:53

https://i.imgur.com/1NZxEz1.png
this is all done in post-processing with obs, premiere pro, android emulators and some other software... it's not a "feature" you can toggle on or off during live streams or on replays.
Ah, ok, thank you. And I thought I'm too blind to find the setting :-)

Zynerji

ME4ME wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:56
Totally unacceptable service from F1TV this weekend. Missed pretty much the first third of the race because of the stream dropping out. The F1TV page is junk at the moment.

Honestly can't recommend F1TV Pro to anyone at this moment. Get something else if there's any other alternative in your region. :cry:
I had a perfect, unbuffered race in 1080p on a 200mbit connection.

ME4ME

Zynerji wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 17:35
I had a perfect, unbuffered race in 1080p on a 200mbit connection.
Well good for you. My guess would be that we're receiving content from different server nodes. Here it has been truly terrible this weekend.