Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
humble sabot

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Looks way more comfy than anything i've ever driven. Why wouldn't you want to slide into a tub and kick your feet up? That's the real question. Not that it needs to be restated, but maybe it does anyway; about 200 people already decided it makes sense to them, people who keep coming out of the woodwork as actual drivers of high end equipment too apparently. There's also continuous reassurances from the company that they've vetted their Valkyrie customers based on their likelyhood of actually driving the car. Not sure how much stock to put in that one, but i assume Ricciardo's association with the program hasn't been revoked due to his driving for Renault competitively. Verstappen is getting one, and at least one dude on instagram who's famous for driving his McLaren F1 GTR semi regularly, is getting one. It remains to be seen whether Yusaku Maezawa is going to drive the crap out of his.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

roon

20s a lap faster than a supercar amalgam in the RBR simulator.

Just_a_fan

So which one of them was really the "first drive"? :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SectorOne

roon wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 02:56
https://youtu.be/-eI0fSbSDoU

20s a lap faster than a supercar amalgam in the RBR simulator.
Seeing as Koenigsegg has the unofficial record around there i´m guessing that is their benchmark.

2:32.14 - One:1
2:12.14 - Valkyrie

F1 cars do around 1:40 around here so it´s some way off stil l but anything that goes 20s faster than a One:1 will be mighty impressive no doubt.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Morteza

Top Gear sat down with Newey to talk about how Valkyrie was conceived. It is not new, but some very interesting points in there (I guess it's from two years ago)
Exlusive: a closer look at the £2.5m Aston Martin Valkyrie
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Noetiepoerker26

https://in.motorsport.com/wec/news/asto ... e/4474072/

First confirmed sporscar manufacturer to join the new WEC regulations?
Two stroke: a little more than half the power, twice as often.

humble sabot

The next article is about Toyota having confirmed as well. Looks like the GR Super Sports car they showed last year.
I wonder what the shuffle about in the hybrid aspect of the Hypercar regs means for those two, since as far as we know the road Valkyrie is electrically assisted at the rear, but the regs had specified front assistance. And more recently there was an apparent update suggesting that hybrid would be an option rather than obligatory as was initially.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

timbo

This is a nice car, that's for sure, but to me, it's kinda "cheating" in a way. McLaren F1 was primarily a "car" even with all its gimmicks. This one... I'm not so sure. If you took LMP2 prototype (or current DPI, they look fantastic!) and made a few changes to get it road-legal, also maybe getting rid of some of the rule limitations which keep it slower, you'd probably get the same performance (or close) for less money.
Engineering marvel nonetheless.

roon

Amazing. Cool to see it running.

timbo wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 17:25
You know, I think you're on to something there. You could definitely contract an LMP chassis constructor and an engine supplier, have them re-engineer parts of the car to take advantage of a formula libre, further engineer it to become capable of being run without a support crew, certify it for road use, emissions and crash testing, for less than you could get an Aston Valkyrie for. And with the money you've saved you could then contest it at Le Mans in 2021.
Last edited by roon on 13 Jul 2019, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

bill shoe

timbo wrote:
This is a nice car, that's for sure, but to me, it's kinda "cheating" in a way. McLaren F1 was primarily a "car" even with all its gimmicks. This one... I'm not so sure. If you took LMP2 prototype (or current DPI, they look fantastic!) and made a few changes to get it road-legal, also maybe getting rid of some of the rule limitations which keep it slower, you'd probably get the same performance (or close) for less money.
For sure the McL was a real street car. All the Hypercars are just high dollar race cars that are awkward but legal on the street. I think of them as 10-20 yo race cars rather than leading street cars.

Saying this new Aston Martin boutique car is state of the art is like saying a Gucci handbag is state of the art for carrying small objects.

roon

bill shoe wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 19:52
timbo wrote:
For sure the McL was a real street car. All the Hypercars are just high dollar race cars that are awkward but legal on the street. I think of them as 10-20 yo race cars rather than leading street cars.

Saying this new Aston Martin boutique car is state of the art is like saying a Gucci handbag is state of the art for carrying small objects.
Right. RB-Aston are bringing a 10-20 y.o. race car to LeMans. #-o

Bad analogies. This car is by far the least gimmicky super/hypercar to come to light.

As far as tech goes, they are satisfying both track expectations and road regulatory demands simultaneously, with a 6.5L 11k RPM structural V12. Depricate that if you must.
Last edited by roon on 13 Jul 2019, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

MtthsMlw

Wonder why they chose the RB13 for that comparison.

roon

Simply a press car with pre-season test livery. Using the livery is a reference to the car's development stage.