2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 17:08
Capharol wrote: yes there is... other wings, other bargeboards, other temperatures, for some other engines, for some other drivers.....
to many different facts compared to last year, and therefore in my opinion you can't compare 2018 anymore with 2019, due to these other wings, tyres etc.
see 2019 as year 0 with new regulations, same goes for 2021 by the way
You keep saying that, but your logic is flawed... You can’t compare the times of one car year on year because of all the changes... But comparing the improvement of every car against each other is a valid argument since all the teams used the same regulations last year and this year.

So even though, there are new wings, bargeboards, etc... You can compare the improvement from every team and in that regard there are teams that made great improvements (Alfa and STR)... There are teams that made good improvements (RP, Mclaren, Haas)... There are teams that were expected to get less improvement than the midfield due to the law of diminishing returns but still made good improvements (Mercedes and Ferrari) and there are teams that disappointed (RBR with better engine or Williams).

You don’t want to accept this logic because it means your team either was lying about how much better the engine is, or didn’t made as good of a job with their chassis as the rest of the field... But the fact that the analysis doesn’t show what “you” want to see, doesn’t make it invalid.

I believe that in the RBH topic I mentioned before the weekend started that I was surprised that RBH were rushing their China upgrade and that it was most probably because after testing they realized that they were way farther than they thought from Mercedes and Ferrari... Wonder how far they would have been if they didn’t rushed it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My point was that I seem to remember STR/Alfa having problems in Quali Aus 2018. I think we just need to be mindful of causes for time discrepancies. That it isn't always just pure pace. If we use the data to create trends and averages, it will be interesting.

Since McLaren's car stopped improving right around Spain last year. It will be interesting to see that trend widen.
Absolutely... If I’m not wrong Gasly qualified last in Melbourne last season... So definitely some of this times need to be further analyzed to understand how much progress was done.

The top 3 though, they were in the top 6 places and their Qualy performance can be very representative both years (there might be a few races where with penalties we may have to be more careful with the analysis)... Bahrain should be also telling in regards to how much they have move forward this season.

Jolle
Jolle

I just read the article that Zak Brown said that, if the rules don't change, McLaren might leave F1.... These tactics might work for Ferrari, but not for McLaren in it's current state. Ferrari (or more, Philip Morris) held their mouth shut when they were not winning....

after blaming Honda for a couple of years, please don't start blaming the game...

https://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/3 ... misschien/

Capharol
Capharol

Jolle wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 01:16
I just read the article that Zak Brown said that, if the rules don't change, McLaren might leave F1.... These tactics might work for Ferrari, but not for McLaren in it's current state. Ferrari (or more, Philip Morris) held their mouth shut when they were not winning....

after blaming Honda for a couple of years, please don't start blaming the game...

then let them get in line Rb said that too, Ferrari aswell i believe, and maybe even Merc said they will leave….. so the grid of 2021 will only have 12 cars and the championship will be fought between Magnussen and Ricciardo and Hulkenberg and maybe we can bring in Perez in the mix aswell

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Jolle wrote:I just read the article that Zak Brown said that, if the rules don't change, McLaren might leave F1.... These tactics might work for Ferrari, but not for McLaren in it's current state. Ferrari (or more, Philip Morris) held their mouth shut when they were not winning....

Most of these comments are just part of what some teams have already agreed the messaging has to be... There is interest by 80% of the grid to have some sort of budget cap (with only Ferrari and Mercedes probably opposing it since they already have the largest budgets and are fully funded)... Probably the trickiest point will be with some of the teams heritage prizes... What FIA could do is to pay a bonus for Championships won, that could be a “objective” way to give additional prize money to the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes, RBH, etc... New teams will need to understand that to access the additional funds, they will need to win a few championships.

Let’s hope they can reach an agreement and we can have F1 for more than a few more years.

diffuser

Liberty mutual wants to make F1 profitable for everyone not just Bernie.

They used a cap to make every NFL Team profitable with a chance to win every year.

Just do what they say...

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Jolle wrote:

Liberty don't even want to loose Williams, let alone McLaren. Case in point is the recent Force India administration process. The concessions given, especially since they went into administration mid season is unprecedented. That's why Haas got upset and took legal action. Without those concessions, the Stroll deal wouldn't have gone through and we would ended the season with 9 teams.
Zak coming out to say this publicly is all posturing and putting pressure to get something favourable. Cyril has made comments as well in recent times, saying Renault don't want to be in an F1 that continues to be an arms race that is spiraling out of control.
Teams like McLaren and Renault will be the most vocal because they want to win and challenge for titles again and they probably believe they can if these things are put in place.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

proteus

Jolle wrote:

There were many times when Ferrari was saying they will leave the sport, but it was in pre-turbo time as well as in this era if i remember correctly. It is the first time Mclaren did it and more than ever they are right to do it. With such unfair conditions for privateers its really pointless to compete and burn money. Stefan Johansson summed it up very well about what is wrong with F1.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mclaren111

Another Key day for Mclaren today... :D :D

Shader

Jolle wrote:

It is one thing to be in a position of not winning and still be near the top, and completely another of being a backmaker, which McLaren effectively has been these last 4 years. Both these brands, Ferrari and McLaren depend on their F1 performances and since McLaren has fallen so far back it has damaged the brand beyond recognition, which makes these demands, "threats", quite founded.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Does anybody remember/know the song by Urban Cookie Collective... "I've got the Key, I've got the secret"
They should play it as James walks in for his official first day... :D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

bauc

mclaren111 wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 08:29
Another Key day for Mclaren today... :D :D
Pun intended :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

_cerber1

In the qualification of the Grand Prix of Australia Lando Norris made his way to the final and won the eighth place at the start. His more experienced partner Carlos Sainz could not get out of the first part, but said that the result of Lando suggests that the McLaren car is doing fine with speed.

"At the end of last season, the team was three or four-tenths behind the middle group," quoted Sainz RaceFans. - Apparently, we are back in the fight. This indicates the hard work the team did on the base and during the winter tests.

After the tests in Barcelona we did not have confidence that the machine will allow to reach the final qualification, but in Australia the first circles in the first session showed what we can do. I felt I could get to the final if I hadn’t been disturbed. In my opinion, McLaren was not in the final qualification with last year's Grand Prix of Monaco. The speed in Melbourne shows the progress that the team has made.

Nevertheless, there are no guarantees that we will reach the final in Bahrain and China. However, we returned to the middle group, and now it’s all a matter of fine-tuning the car for a specific track. The fight in the middle of the peloton is, as usual, very tight. ”

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 17:38
mwillems wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
24 Mar 2019, 08:50
GPTechnical:

https://f1tcdn.net/images/news/2019/int ... mances.png

According to this analysis, we lost ground to most of the midfield around us...

Really hope we can get our development in top gear asap...
If that is based on fastest qualifying lap, then I don't think it would be crazy to suggest that Sainz would have been faster than Norris without his issues.
You can also read as if Mclaren has shorten the gap to the front a little bit, which is a positive to start the year.

Ultimately, we qualified eight and had the car to hold onto it, just not the strategy. We are doing it with a driver lineup where I suspect that neither of our current drivers are quite as fast as Alonso last year. So in terms of grid position after one year, it feels positive.

At the end of the day though, two numbers count, one vastly more than the other. Where you start, and where you finish. Time will tell :)
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Spoke to a friend of ine this weekend who works in the composites side - he says everyone at Mclaren is 'buzzing' at the moment - they all feel like they're back on track, says it's the first tie everyone's been this excited there since the initial honda switch.
Let's hope the optimism isn't as misplaced :D

_cerber1

Thanks for the insiders. The speed in qualifying largely confirms McLaren excitement. =D> =D> =D>