fulltime speed limiters from 2022 - consequences

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Tommy Cookers

fulltime speed limiters from 2022 - consequences

as it's not April 1st we should believe our British Brainwashing Corporation's reports that wef 2022 ....
EU (and UK regardless) new vehicles will have inbuilt speed-control to force compliance with any and all applicable speed limits

what will be the consequences of this ruling ?

seventhsin

Re: fulltime speed limiters from 2022 - consequences

Skilled and responsible drivers will have less evasive manoeuvres at their disposal to avoid danger or accidents.
Overtaking slow drivers on a two-lane road will take much longer as the speed difference will be limited, there are lots of two vehicle collisions in country Australia due to frustrated drivers making risky overtakes. There have been 3 such deaths in my state this week alone.

nzjrs

Tommy Cookers wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 11:45
what will be the consequences of this ruling ?
Aftermarket services for helping vehicle GPS or other location systems become non-functional.

CBeck113

seventhsin wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 12:09
Skilled and responsible drivers will have less evasive manoeuvres at their disposal to avoid danger or accidents.
Overtaking slow drivers on a two-lane road will take much longer as the speed difference will be limited, there are lots of two vehicle collisions in country Australia due to frustrated drivers making risky overtakes. There have been 3 such deaths in my state this week alone.
Not quite:
However, drivers will be able to override the device simply by pushing hard on the accelerator, reassuring some motoring groups that have argued that in certain situations – such as when trying to swiftly overtake a vehicle in front – speeding up could be safer. The Guardian, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... r-eu-plans

That doesn't mean that I like this idea, but some benefits could come about through it, like less arguing after accidents. Since I'm getting older and drive slower, this doesn't bother me as much as it would have a few years ago.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

roon

Consequences: fewer people breaking the law. Better gas mileage, longer brake pad life. May reduce traffic via reduced incentive to change lanes. I wonder if a shared top speed might help with traffic waves.
Last edited by roon on 28 Mar 2019, 01:14, edited 2 times in total.

NL_Fer

Not this --- again...

The EU is talking about a speed limit guided equipment. Like an adaptive cruise control, which also responds to speed limits imposed on the road. or an alarm which warns when a driver is speeding.

Greg Locock

Here's the list so far-

The 11 safety features mandated from 2021
Advanced emergency braking

Alcohol interlock installation facilitation

Drowsiness and attention detection

Event (accident) data recorder

Emergency stop signal

Full-width frontal occupant protection crash test and improved seatbelts

Head impact zone enlargement for pedestrians and cyclists, as well as safety glass

Intelligent speed assistance

Lane keeping assist

Pole side impact occupant protection

Reversing camera or detection system

strad

Welcome Big Brother.
The heck of it is that there will be a large segment that will embrace this. :evil:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

roon

Reduced speeding ticket revenue.

henry

@greg locock, thanks for the list.

In the main it looks like a set of features that are standard now on more expensive cars, options on medium priced and starting to trickle down to low priced. Boeing is providing an object lesson in what happens when commercial drives optionality.

The focus on pedestrian and cyclist safety is welcome, they are disproportionately at risk in today’s environment and it seems that most customers will prioritise aesthetics over third party safety. Soft vehicle features are likely to be more effective than teaching pedestrians to be more traffic aware or take responsibility for their own safety.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

strad

An air bag in the nose of your car?
First thing I think of is the expense when somebody barely bumps something non human. $$$$$$$$$$$
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Jolle

When I was a bit younger (in my twenties and early thirties) I loved speed and I couldn't believe that I could be happy in a car with less then 300HP. I took motorway junctions sideways and needed new tires every 10.000 km.
In my commute (150 km) I averaged around 160kph.

With so much traffic these days even when I want to, I can't speed that much (within the Randstad, where I drive mostly it's almost all 100 km/h and lots of trucks).

Then I got maybe a bit wiser. Instead of constant hunting down the next car to overtake I just go with the flow. My last car was a Renault Twingo with 50 something HP, a whole bit different then the C320CDI-AMG and 911's I drove before, and loving it! Driving suddenly is super relaxed. Instead I ride a motorbike, big old BMW touring bike and normally I'm within the speed limits, with a good focus on the perfect corner, again, searching for that perfect flow.

I think in the past I've been lucky not to come into terrible trouble with a big accident, fines or even loosing my license; I've done enough to deserve all of those.

The point hidden in there, is I think, that traffic evolved quite rapidly. There are just so many movements on so little tarmac.

On motorways, It's more about congestion then safety I think (motorways are pretty safe) but within the city, all the other safety measures are pretty decent I think. It's just so effing busy!

mrluke

The issue is that the "safer" or more "intelligent" you make the vehicle, the less care or consideration needs to be given by the driver.

If every car had a large dangerous spike on the steering wheel pointed at the driver, there would be many fewer accidents.

the EDGE

The only benefit I see of getting older is that I’m not inclined to go speeding around every where now as if my right foot was welded to the floor - I really pitty younger drivers in regards to this

I have no objection of sticking to the speed limit, especially if everybody has too, however average speed limit cameras that are now pretty much everywhere in Britain have proved that everyone driving the same speed simply does not work on multi-lane roads. People drive too close, traffic can’t ‘breath’ and stupied idiots who are too dumb to use their cruise control cause no-end of frustration

Sometimes you simply have to go over the speed limit to find a gap in the traffic to move over in time for exits... or of course you could slow down to do this and cause traffic chaos, or just cut people up by also causing people to brake and slow down traffic

God, why do the stupied nerdy kids from school who had no friends and were always bullied always find a way to get their own back when they grow up?

Why is it those with so-called intelligence always lack the common type?????

Why is it the older you get the more you sound like victor bloody meldrew?????????

strad

Can't vote you up EDGE or I would. :wink:
Sir Stirling Moss