2021 Engine thread

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
toraabe

Re: 2021 Engine thread

The max flow will be at 12k so between 12 and 13k will be normal..

Holm86

Just hope they will change the bank angle to 120° because a 90° odd firing V6 will never sound great.
At the same time they should allow a hot vee configuration.

mzso

Zynerji wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 06:06
Can we just get 3.2L V12s with a single centrifugal supercharger (max boost @18000rpm), direct injection, and TJI?

Should get us 1500 hp with midrange torque and screaming noise as well as being cheap enough to run a new one every weekend.

And no possible electrocutions... :?
Why not go back to steam engines if we like obsolescent technology that much?

mzso

Holm86 wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 11:06
Just hope they will change the bank angle to 120° because a 90° odd firing V6 will never sound great.
At the same time they should allow a hot vee configuration.
Fat chance of that. It would mean a total redesign of the ICE and it would be wider than anyone want.

(Besides the cosworth DFV was a 90°and it had an awesome sound.)

wuzak

mzso wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 14:51
(Besides the cosworth DFV was a 90°and it had an awesome sound.)
The Cosworth DFV was a V8, so 90° was more natural for that.

But it also had a flat plane crank, which made it sound different to regular V8s.

saviour stivala

A racing V8 with flat-plane crank will always sounds better than a V8 with a 90 degree crank. and another thing, a turbocharged engine in whatever configuration will never sound as laud as an NA engine of the same configuration.

Zynerji

mzso wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 14:48
Zynerji wrote:
Can we just get 3.2L V12s with a single centrifugal supercharger (max boost @18000rpm), direct injection, and TJI?

Should get us 1500 hp with midrange torque and screaming noise as well as being cheap enough to run a new one every weekend.

Why does an activity that involves racing bespoke cars around a track require anything as advanced and complicated as the current power units?

If you could get more power from a simpler arrangement, I'd vote for that as well.

And don't forget. A large part of the fan base wants simple engines that do not cause in race failures, or pre race penalties. And they want them loud.

Can steam engines compete on power to weight ratios against a supercharged ICE?

I thought not...

hurril

Zynerji wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 22:17
mzso wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 14:48
Zynerji wrote:

Why does an activity that involves racing bespoke cars around a track require anything as advanced and complicated as the current power units?

If you could get more power from a simpler arrangement, I'd vote for that as well.

And don't forget. A large part of the fan base wants simple engines that do not cause in race failures, or pre race penalties. And they want them loud.

Can steam engines compete on power to weight ratios against a supercharged ICE?

I thought not...
It doesn't require it. It's there because it's awesome and cutting edge.

NL_Fer

Notthing is going to change. 90 degree 1.6 V6 Turbo hybrids with exhaust heat recovery.

mzso

Zynerji wrote:

Racing doesn't require cars either. You can watch turtles race.
The one use of motor racing (particularly) is developing modern technology, without that you're just throwing money down the drain. It would be even simpler to throw out the clunky ICE. I'd like that because it would also be progressive as well.
hurril wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 22:24
By that you mean yourself. And some other loud whiners.

roon

mzso wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 23:09
You can watch turtles race.
Indeed.

I don't think auto racing will fare well in the coming years. Electrification and automation loom and new frontiers for competition are on the horizon. RIP F1.

hurril

mzso wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 23:09
Zynerji wrote:

Racing doesn't require cars either. You can watch turtles race.
The one use of motor racing (particularly) is developing modern technology, without that you're just throwing money down the drain. It would be even simpler to throw out the clunky ICE. I'd like that because it would also be progressive as well.
hurril wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 22:24
I don't like racing or other things that happened after 1971.
I guess we have different opinions.

To be serious. There are a zillion different race formulas out there, I don't understand why you'd want what is currently the technical epitome to match what we had, technically, back in the 60:ies. Why does F1 have to fill that particular niche? Why don't you just watch something else that does have this? I, myself, look at plenty of different racing.

henry

Zynerji wrote:

It’s because there are multiple objectives served by the one activity.

An objective is to determine which team can design, make and operate the best car. WCC

Another is to determine which driver is best, this almost entirely depends on WCC.

Neither of these requires the complexity we have now.

However there is an objective to provide an advertising platform for the manufacturers, and their associates, sponsors, suppliers etc. And they say they want to use the terms, hybrid, cutting edge, futuristic etc. This is what drives the complexity, and it’s what provides the money to make the activity viable.

A further objective is to make money for FOM. I’m pretty sure they don’t like the complexity either.

So that’s it, if you want a rich sport you get the complexity.

Personally I like the complexity. It gives lots to think about and discuss.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

mzso

roon wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 03:24
I don't think auto racing will fare well in the coming years. Electrification and automation loom and new frontiers for competition are on the horizon. RIP F1.
Automation will be only be as significant as much as its allowed. Which will continue to be zero I think.
Though I wouldn't mind a supporting sprint series with software driven cars.

I don't see anything negative in electrification, it's superior to ICE motors and could do with some some creative development to make them even better. Also it will make cars more relevant for the future. (The big thing in internal combustion development in recent years was combining them with an electric motor)
What do you mean by new frontiers?

mzso

henry wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 09:53
So that’s it, if you want a rich sport you get the complexity.
F1 also wants to be an innovator and a forrerunner of technology as it was in the past. With the plain dumb 17% efficient NA engines they were anything but. Now at least the PU is modernized and state of the art, if little else is.