2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mark4211

Re: 2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Annotated wheel adjustments: Pole position lap, Charles Leclerc - Bahrain 2019

Reddit thread | Vimeo Alternative

F1NAC

Mamma mia.....

MtthsMlw

Binotto: “We are checking now the engine so we do not have yet a clear explanation of what happened,” he said. “It is an engine problem. We had miscombustion on one cylinder but [the reason is] to be understood."
Asked about rumours of the problem being related to the MGU-H, Binotto said: “I don’t know where the rumours came from. There was nothing wrong with the MGU-H.

Binotto is confident that the Bahrain problem is an isolated incident and curing it should be simple.

“It is a single problem that will be easily addressed," he said. “It is not related to the way we are using the engine or the mapping or whatever.

"It has to be a single component failure that we will find out.”
Let's hope it was just a faulty spark plug or some wiring issue meaning no engine change for China.

LM10

Good news. I hope so, too.

Sulman

That's a great bit of video. Typical reddit, a nugget of gold in a bowl full of ---.

Sulman

MtthsMlw wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 22:20
Binotto: “We are checking now the engine so we do not have yet a clear explanation of what happened,” he said. “It is an engine problem. We had miscombustion on one cylinder but [the reason is] to be understood."
Asked about rumours of the problem being related to the MGU-H, Binotto said: “I don’t know where the rumours came from. There was nothing wrong with the MGU-H.

Binotto is confident that the Bahrain problem is an isolated incident and curing it should be simple.

“It is a single problem that will be easily addressed," he said. “It is not related to the way we are using the engine or the mapping or whatever.

"It has to be a single component failure that we will find out.”
Let's hope it was just a faulty spark plug or some wiring issue meaning no engine change for China.
The only thing about that is, I would have thought it would have been very obvious aurally; a missing cylinder can make a noise that sounds a bit like traction control and LEC's engine sounded pretty normal to my ears.

zibby43

They'll investigate and examine the cylinder to make sure there's no damage to the ICE that would require an engine change.

Even if they decide to replace the ICE as a precaution, perhaps they could keep this ICE in the practice pool.

Jolle

Very impressed by Leclerc like everyone I guess. But apart from his speed over this weekend I was most impressed by his radio message “I am faster” when he came up to his teammate. With all the communications about Vettel being the focus of the team, this was a very clear and very self confident.

Vettel needs to get his act together if he doesn’t want a repeat of 2014, he has to deal with Leclerc for at least two seasons...

tpeman

Some media sites say that Leclerc disobeyed team orders when passing Vettel. So maybe Seb was in a lower engine mode and didn't expect that attack (kinda what he did to Webber in 2013)?
Also, something I noticed now is that immediately after his counter attack Vettel backed off from Charles, so fair play to him for following the team game there. Maybe this is the reason for the lack of focus later in the race?

MtthsMlw

tpeman wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 18:13
Some media sites say that Leclerc disobeyed team orders when passing Vettel. So maybe Seb was in a lower engine mode and didn't expect that attack (kinda what he did to Webber in 2013)?
Also, something I noticed now is that immediately after his counter attack Vettel backed off from Charles, so fair play to him for following the team game there. Maybe this is the reason for the lack of focus later in the race?
Yes he kinda did. After catching up to Vettel he was told to stay there for two laps. He overtook him half a lap later. Heard no team radios from Vettel regarding Leclerc.

LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 19:00
tpeman wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 18:13
Yes he kinda did. After catching up to Vettel he was told to stay there for two laps. He overtook him half a lap later. Heard no team radios from Vettel regarding Leclerc.
Now, that’s interesting. I would have not thought Leclerc doing such a “bad boy” thing. He gave me the impression of being the calm and good boy.

I think the team would have let him fight or pass anyway, if they had seen that Vettel was not able to keep pace.
A bit disappointing that Leclerc didn’t obey team orders and in case it just was “stay behind for 2 laps” it’s even more disappointing. This was a non-team-work move.

nacho

Whatever the team orders would have been Leclerc was on another level to Vettel this weekend.

selvam_e2002

It is my assumption that, ferrari tried two modes with each driver to see how engine works during the race distance.

1. Lecrec with full qualification mode i.e more power from engine and ERS
2. Vettel with normal racing mode(conservative) so it won't affect the engine.

They may try to understand how far they can push the engine. But It is just an assumption and only Ferrari knows how they operate the engine in race with two drivers.

LM10

Telemetry of Leclerc before and after the issue.
https://i.redd.it/9l6uao828ip21.png

MtthsMlw

Not sure what to make out of that. Losing speed from ~200kmh onwards.