McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

Re: McLaren MCL34

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 01:35
M840TR wrote:New Front Wing

https://media-cdn.mclaren.com/media/ima ... ST9349.jpg [/

Read the explanation afterwards... Disregard my question :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So McLaren are exploring a FW with the opposite philosophy compared to Ferrari/Sauber... Interesting

mclaren111

It looks like the floor bends downwards just in front of the rear tyre (just after KAUST)...

Is this allowed / legal ??

mwillems

Nonserviam85 wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 12:00
SmallSoldier wrote:
M840TR wrote:New Front Wing

https://media-cdn.mclaren.com/media/ima ... ST9349.jpg [/

Read the explanation afterwards... Disregard my question :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So McLaren are exploring a FW with the opposite philosophy compared to Ferrari/Sauber... Interesting
If your referring to the wing in the bottom left, it doesn't have it's elements set up yet. I don't believe it is a different philosophy. The explanation given by Maclaren was that it was used to get into Q3, so it must have been used in the race too. Looking at all pictures from Qualy and race, there is no philosophy change, it is pretty much the same wing bar some small changes as far as I can see.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's just small tweaks to match the new BB pieces - they had it in production even before testing.
It doesn't sound like we'll see anything really major until the European GP's for feedback from testing, bar the new rear wing when that arrives, mainly setup and tyre work/under the skin.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 13:21
It's just small tweaks to match the new BB pieces - they had it in production even before testing.
It doesn't sound like we'll see anything really major until the European GP's for feedback from testing, bar the new rear wing when that arrives, mainly setup and tyre work/under the skin.
Is the new rear wing expected to be available for China?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 14:13
PhillipM wrote:
Perhaps Baku.

godlameroso

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 14:13
PhillipM wrote:
I would save it for Barcelona, Baku is a special track and doesn't need tons of downforce, and it won't be ready by China. This gives them more time to develop it.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 21:23
M840TR wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 18:43
_cerber1 wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 18:38

No, the same photo on page 44.
But it is a new front wing.

Our latest specification front wing arrived during the weekend, but needed some work so that we had two available for FP3. Late into the night our small team of fabricators was supplemented by anyone with a spare hand. Eight people worked on a nosebox – including the garage electrician and trackside aerodynamic performance engineer. It was worth it as both cars got the new spec. In an incredibly tight midfield, getting that job done was pivotal in getting both drivers into Q3
https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2019/b ... bahraingp/
I think the changes had been posted earlier in this thread, they are only minor I think. The metal separator between the outer and inner portion of the elements was changed, plus one other minor thing, I think it was the curvature of the upper elements had changed slightly on the inner portion of the wing.
The two top shelf wings are the old wings, the bottom ones are the new. The spacing from right to left between the first and second elements is now more even. The old wing has a section where there is almost no space at all.

Australia pic

Or maybe it's just the different angle we're looking at them! :)

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

mwillems wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 13:16
Nonserviam85 wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 12:00
SmallSoldier wrote:

If your referring to the wing in the bottom left, it doesn't have it's elements set up yet. I don't believe it is a different philosophy. The explanation given by Maclaren was that it was used to get into Q3, so it must have been used in the race too. Looking at all pictures from Qualy and race, there is no philosophy change, it is pretty much the same wing bar some small changes as far as I can see.
You are right, I didn't count the elements the upper flap in the inner section is missing in the bottom left wing.

daren_p
daren_p

digitalrurouni wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 11:29
ALO_Power wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 15:16
They're the same, it's just the angle that the black of the rubber gives more contrast on the right one while on the left it blends in.
I don't think so. Count the squares from top to bottom 9 vs 11.
Probably need to recount yourself :wink: There is 11 on both sides, they taper in at the top, so you likely missed the tapered in section on the left side, as it is less obvious in the photo vs the right.

M840TR
M840TR

Admiring the testing overhead cameras

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

diffuser wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 14:43
mwillems wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 21:23
M840TR wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 18:43

But it is a new front wing.

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2019/b ... bahraingp/
I think the changes had been posted earlier in this thread, they are only minor I think. The metal separator between the outer and inner portion of the elements was changed, plus one other minor thing, I think it was the curvature of the upper elements had changed slightly on the inner portion of the wing.
https://media-cdn.mclaren.com/media/ima ... ST9349.jpg
The two top shelf wings are the old wings, the bottom ones are the new. The spacing from right to left between the first and second elements is now more even. The old wing has a section where there is almost no space at all.

Australia pic
https://i.redd.it/en61co85m6j21.jpg

Or maybe it's just the different angle we're looking at them! :)
Bottom pic is from Barcelona.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

daren_p wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 16:50
digitalrurouni wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 11:29
ALO_Power wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 15:16
They're the same, it's just the angle that the black of the rubber gives more contrast on the right one while on the left it blends in.
I don't think so. Count the squares from top to bottom 9 vs 11.
Probably need to recount yourself :wink: There is 11 on both sides, they taper in at the top, so you likely missed the tapered in section on the left side, as it is less obvious in the photo vs the right.
Hah! You are right!

mclaren111

Motorsport.com

McLaren introduced a new bargeboard arrangement in Bahrain and seemingly unlocked some of the untapped potential of the MCL34. The new design’s forward footplate shape was revised quite significantly (red arrow and dotted line), while a series of variously sized vertical fins (white arrow) that we’ve seen others use for some time now were added. These make up a sort of pre-bargeboard arrangement and help to guide the airflow in that region. Behind the bargeboard the splitter (blue arrow) has also been extended in order that it interacts more effectively with the floor behind.

Edit: No reference to change of the top section... :o

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mclaren111 wrote:Motorsport.com

McLaren introduced a new bargeboard arrangement in Bahrain and seemingly unlocked some of the untapped potential of the MCL34. The new design’s forward footplate shape was revised quite significantly (red arrow and dotted line), while a series of variously sized vertical fins (white arrow) that we’ve seen others use for some time now were added. These make up a sort of pre-bargeboard arrangement and help to guide the airflow in that region. Behind the bargeboard the splitter (blue arrow) has also been extended in order that it interacts more effectively with the floor behind.

Edit: No reference to change of the top section... :o
The top section / boomerang had to be cut to match the cut on the floor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk