Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zibby43

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Tzk wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 22:40
The question is if for a given downforce and thus less rear wing df and more rake is actually causing more drag or not. Ferrari may have more df from the diffusor and this less df and drag from the rear wing. They also may run a bit less df that the mercs.

This would result in more straightline speed through: a) a bit more engine power, b) a bit less drag from the rear wing and c) a bit less drag because less total df.

This is what i assume... i just don‘t buy totos explanation.
I mentioned this in another thread, but if the straight-line gap was down to just sheer engine power, rather than wing level, overall setup, etc., I would've expected VET closer to LEC in qualifying (I fully realize VET had just the one Q3 run).

Instead, VET just shaded both Merc drivers in Q3. With a better lap, HAM could've ended up on the front row.

Did we not get to see telemetry overlays comparing HAM to VET in qualifying?

Furthermore, LEC's straight line advantage seemed to translate to the race, whereas HAM's race pace was just as strong (if not stronger, at some points, particularly when HAM went onto the Mediums) as VET's.

f1316

Don’t forget that in pre-season testing we were all talking about the Ferrari plunging under braking and straightening up in a straight line - if this was not working properly (i.e. wrong suspension setup) in Australia but fixed in Bahrain, it would certainly have an impact on straighline speed.

That said, I have no visual observations of this happening in Bahrain, just that, if it were true, it would allow them to have their cake and eat it (high rake in corners, less drag on straights).

FW17

SV has some problem is out of the corners

Out of turn 4 to turn 6 some loss

Out of turn 7 to turn 9 a huge loss;

Both cases not because of a bad exit

Sector 3 maybe he ran over some kerbs too much,

but there is something wrong with the engine

dtro

NL_Fer wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 22:51
dtro wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 21:38
NL_Fer wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 21:12
I though this was an aero thread?

Now again, could the straightline/acceleration performance be caused by the rake or not?
How would increased drag/rake cause increased acceleration?
The rake gives more DF at slow corners. Intelligent suspension can cause the rake to become smaller under hi speeds, less drag on straights.
Hmm, in that case the combination of improvements/better understanding of the PU's cooling requirement plus an uncompromised set-up (a compromised setup is what seemed to be Ferrari's problem in Australia to me) could have led to the spike in performance in Bahrain.

f1316

FW17 wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 10:10
https://youtube.com/watch?v=1uOQoxw-GuA

SV has some problem is out of the corners

Out of turn 4 to turn 6 some loss

Out of turn 7 to turn 9 a huge loss;

Both cases not because of a bad exit

Sector 3 maybe he ran over some kerbs too much,

but there is something wrong with the engine
I initially wondered if he was on a lower df setting - there was a comment on commentary about him consistently topping speed traps - this could have made it harder for him to put the power down and it might have also affected his tyre mgmt in the race.

I haven’t visually noticed this difference in wing level though, I must admit.

Mr.G

henry wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 17:49
SiLo wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 11:13
I've been reading in the engine thread that they are using both MGU-K and MGU-H at the same time to push the engine along the straights and then at the end of the straight switch both to charge the ES. This is why telemetry traces show them tailing off at the end of the straight with Mercedes still pulling.
Only the MGU-K drives the car. The MGU-H can send energy to the MGU-K but it does not increase the power available. A more powerful MGU-H may increase the length of time the MGU-K can be used by reducing the rate of use of the energy flow from ES to MGU-K.
MGU-H helps the ICE therefore it can be done... H boosting turbo means more power from ICE + K helping (both H and K drain the battery at the same time).
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Capharol

Mr.G wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 19:11
henry wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 17:49
SiLo wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 11:13
I've been reading in the engine thread that they are using both MGU-K and MGU-H at the same time to push the engine along the straights and then at the end of the straight switch both to charge the ES. This is why telemetry traces show them tailing off at the end of the straight with Mercedes still pulling.
Only the MGU-K drives the car. The MGU-H can send energy to the MGU-K but it does not increase the power available. A more powerful MGU-H may increase the length of time the MGU-K can be used by reducing the rate of use of the energy flow from ES to MGU-K.
MGU-H helps the ICE therefore it can be done... H boosting turbo means more power from ICE + K helping (both H and K drain the battery at the same time).
if this is really possible, the next question is? is it legal? and if it is why hasn't Mercedes thought of it
i am not that technical .... but i am trying to understand

Mr.G

Is legal... Maybe they think about that but F1 is complicated and what works for one team doesn't have to work for another...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

NL_Fer

Mercedes has a different turbo than Ferrari. Maybe they are more limited now?

Capharol

Mr.G wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 19:23
Is legal... Maybe they think about that but F1 is complicated and what works for one team doesn't have to work for another...
thank you
that of course is another aspect of the situation, that's why teams can't copy any wings, bargeboards etc. from another team

AnthonyG

NL_Fer wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 19:31
In what way is their turbo different?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Holm86

AnthonyG wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 11:03
NL_Fer wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 19:31
In what way is their turbo different?
Mercedes turbine housing is integraded into the block, MGU-H sits in the V of the engine, and turbine at the back.

MtthsMlw

Spoonish RW tested in Bahrain.
@SmilexTech