2019 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2019 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 12-14

cooken wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 20:12
Biggest things to look out for to me are indicators of relative PU performance. We should have a much better sense of:
- whether Ferrari's straight-line advantage is legit or more down to aero setup
- where Honda and Renault are relative to eachother and to Merc/Ferrari
- I thought about it too but in the mean way :wink: like: this track willl show that RB is bad on the straights because of the engine and in the corners because of the chassis. Not sure about it.

- if Ferraris lose the start we might see some overtakes.

Jambier

Marko is angry with the Ferrari engine that smell like " grape juice" :lol:

Some rumors give an 40HP advantage for Ferrari over Mercedes, and more of course compare to Renault and Honda.

- Let's see if Ferrari is strong again on straights. They absolutely need to win here
- Colder temperature will be interesting regarding tyres management
- Can RBR bounce back after disapointing Barhain?
- Can Renault finally find a fix for their awful MGU-K ?
- Can Grosjean finish the race?

It will be an interesting race for sure. DRS effect will be enormous on the straight

yelistener

Ferrari is on par with Mercedes through high speed corners at Melbourne & Bahrain. Doesn't sound like they chose a low downforce setup.

They lose at medium & low speed cornes to Mercedes. Pretty much the same story as last year (2nd half).

Bill_Kar

Is there a chance of rain?

falonso81

Accuweather showing 30% chance of rain for sunday, still early days.

loner

GPR -A wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 08:41
Seems like Mercedes are screwed for this weekend, unless they have figured out how to put enough heat into tyres. Weather forecast for the whole weekend is extremely cold, more like Winter Testing temperatures.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari manages to dominate this weekend, unless Mercedes springs some good updates.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari manages to have reliability issues for the third race in row.
para bellum.

djones

I predict talk this race of Ferrari mega engine, fastest car etc. Then yet another Mercedes 1-2 #-o

But seriously.... I think the Mercedes Bahrain performance was a matter of tyre temperatures and we are going to see another swing in who's fastest this race. All this talk of 40 bhp is nothing but certain media outlets being desperate to get clicks.

LM10

djones wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 21:04
I predict talk this race of Ferrari mega engine, fastest car etc. Then yet another Mercedes 1-2 #-o

But seriously.... I think the Mercedes Bahrain performance was a matter of tyre temperatures and we are going to see another swing in who's fastest this race. All this talk of 40 bhp is nothing but certain media outlets being desperate to get clicks.
Tyre temperature? Some people need to decide already. The talk is about Mercedes being soft on tyres and Ferrari struggling in warm conditions. In Bahrain temperatures were fairly warm, I would say. So what now?

The truth is that we still don't exactly know how teams manage their tyres. I don't know based on what people are thinking that Ferrari hates warm track conditions. It might be, it might not be. We still need to wait and see.

Zynerji

Jambier wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 11:37
Marko is angry with the Ferrari engine that smell like " grape juice" :lol:

Some rumors give an 40HP advantage for Ferrari over Mercedes, and more of course compare to Renault and Honda.
Maybe they added Triethylaluminium to the fuel mixture. TJI with no spark plug! :lol:

Artur Craft

I just hope that this race doesn't turn out to be another drs fest as Bahrain. Drivers should be able to defend their positions and not have their hands completely tied up. Also hope that RB improves for a triple battle

Chuckjr

Leclerc was so on fire last race, I suspect we may see the same in China. He's tasted blood now. He wants #1 status. I think he's only going to get stronger all season.

Ferrari will work out their problems. Too many resources to keep failing.
Watching F1 since 1986.

djos

Chuckjr wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 06:42
Leclerc was so on fire last race, I suspect we may see the same in China. He's tasted blood now. He wants #1 status. I think he's only going to get stronger all season.

I agree, he'll do what Danny Ric did to Vettel at RedBull!
"In downforce we trust"

Juzh

djos wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 07:09
Chuckjr wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 06:42

I agree, he'll do what Danny Ric did to Vettel at RedBull!
let me have a piece of that nice crystall ball you seem to possess.

etusch

Artur Craft wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 05:41
I just hope that this race doesn't turn out to be another drs fest as Bahrain. Drivers should be able to defend their positions and not have their hands completely tied up. Also hope that RB improves for a triple battle
I think they will sort it out but by loosing performance or by keeping performance?

Gothrek

2 races finalized, and everyone is already raving on how bad Vettel is.... The Mercedes media team is doing a good job on putting pressure on Vettel, that is for sure. I wonder where those articles were on Bottas destroying Hamilton after the first race. Oops, they weren't there. ..
The guy is a 4 time WDC, he has his flaws, like every driver, but it would be wrong to underestimate him.