Williams FW42

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hollus

Re: Williams FW42

A few posts have been moved to the team thread.
Rivals, not enemies.

Greg_OR

humble sabot wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 02:25
One big plus is that they did both finish the race in fully running condition. Can't fight for points if you DNF.
Although it is well said by somebody that making fast car more reliable is much easier than making reliable car faster.

But the huge rear cooling opening still make me curious - during the testing in Barcelona air temp was not that much lower than in Australia nor Bahrain (around 20C and little above) - I wonder if it has something common with that suspension 7th element which they had to remove - could it have an impact on the airflow directed to the sidepod intake?

humble sabot

I had in mind the other old adage: to finish first, first you must finish.
If it's unreliable, you can't do the work that you need to do to progress.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

humble sabot

I've been kind of obsessing over the "illegal" mirrors, and I'm not quite sure I understand why they were considered non-compliant. The explanations don't add up IMO. Image
(from https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... 21816.html )
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

FW17

humble sabot wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 23:41
I've been kind of obsessing over the "illegal" mirrors, and I'm not quite sure I understand why they were considered non-compliant. The explanations don't add up IMO. https://www.formulapassion.it/wp-conten ... 1-2019.jpg
(from https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... 21816.html )

Driver could not see what was behind, so it asked to be modified

I guess the angle of placement meant they had to use a curved mirror which failed to serve the purpose of a rear view mirror

marcush.

One has to realise how destructive it is to earmark your current campaign car as fundentally flawed and not correctable.
How would you be able to find workarounds and exploit the thimg to the max when your thought always is :nah ,its a dog and it cannot be quick amd we all know why...

FW17

marcush. wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 12:45
One has to realise how destructive it is to earmark your current campaign car as fundentally flawed and not correctable.
How would you be able to find workarounds and exploit the thimg to the max when your thought always is :nah ,its a dog and it cannot be quick amd we all know why...
It is flawed only when have figured out the flaw

Else it just a perfectly designed car that is slower than others

dtro

marcush. wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 12:45
From the perspective of racing it's definitely destructive, from the point of view of running a business/turning a profit it would make sense. Not spending money on developing what they viewed as a dog of a car last year allowed them to post a profit as a result. Insane as that is to me.

humble sabot

FW17 wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 11:06
Driver could not see what was behind, so it asked to be modified

I guess the angle of placement meant they had to use a curved mirror which failed to serve the purpose of a rear view mirror
What I've read to date says that a challenge came from Racing Point - on the supposition that they thought the driver couldn't see. Variously the mirror being multiple parts and being curved, neither of which are borne out by that image I linked, clearly. I've not heard of either Russell Or Kubica complaining. The grounds on which it was ruled were something to do with the two part attachment, and a reading saying that they may not have an aerodynamic influence.
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

ringo

I think the crime was commited in this area of the car. It may need to be redesigned completely, along with the floor.
For Sure!!

godlameroso

Well yeah.
Saishū kōnā

roon

That blunt face at the floor leading edge seems odd, but if I consider that airflow is angling downward in that area, it's perhaps not so blunt after all.

wesley123

It's not really that different compared to Ferrari, for example.

https://twitter.com/albertfabrega/statu ... 36450?s=21

Nor is the blunt face really a bad thing as it would increase pressure in front, and thus cause a bigger pressure differential under the leading edge of the floor.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Morteza

Via AMuS

Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bill shoe

ringo wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 02:31
https://imgr4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/W ... 436721.jpg

I think the crime was commited in this area of the car. It may need to be redesigned completely, along with the floor.
Agree. The bargeboards and leading edge of the floor are Persons Of Interest that should be immediately taken into a wind tunnel for thorough questioning.