2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

pantherxxx wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 08:10
"Red Bull's Christian Horner Says Ferrari's Fuel 'Smells Like Grapefruit Juice'"
I just can't help but laugh. What a sore loser, and the funniest thing that they were praising Honda after Melbourne, now they're silent about that. I wonder what self-contradictory statements will be made by them in the rest of the season.
Maybe you should first study the material before you call someone a "sore loser"!
If the fuel smells of grapefruit juice, this can only be achieved by adding hydrocarbon chains with many C and O (reactive compounds) in a double compound. . C13 does indeed smell like grapefruit juice. If there is little C in the hydrocarbon chain, it smells terrible. The higher the number C, the better it smells. C15 Smells like peaches.
The Power of Dreams!

Ground Effect

Let's see how they go in China. From statements made after the post Bahrain test, I believe they've made some headway on the chassis/setup side, before bigger improvements in Barcelona. I think when all that gets sorted out, people will appreciate the strides made by Honda as well, which has been a bit masked.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

etusch

yener wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 16:21
It's kinda strange to say the engine needs proper packaging, while at the pre season test in Barcelona, they couldnt stop showing off "how tight the engine" was packed. Offcourse after that, they realised that they had some problems and it was a bit too tight.
And now they are talking about 5 area's which could be better?
Does it really takes 6 weeks to realise the package could be improved without losing result on the PU side?
Redbull wanted an engine packing for tight car packing. Then, when they tested car in real world conditions, Honda realised it is tighter than needed. So they made some corrections without effecting car body.
It looks like now Redbull needs a few changes for better aero efficiency or get transform aero concept to next step and wanted a few changes from Honda. Honda accepted some of those which are not cost engine performance and rejected some of them because of reliability concern. This is what I understand from news I read
Last edited by etusch on 09 Apr 2019, 23:04, edited 2 times in total.

gandharva

That process is called development.

Hammerfist

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 04:07
McMika98 wrote:Ferrari have one lap advantage but in race trim it is about the same as competition. So reliability and tyre management can play its part.
Really? Leclerc was 12 seconds ahead of Hamilton and more than 30 seconds ahead of Verstappen before he had engine issues... Seemed to have way more pace than everyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are quite a few reasons the gap was that big. The first one being that Vettel was holding up Hamilton during the opening stint, then Hamilton got on the wrong tires in stint 2. Also once Hamilton got free air after he passed Vettel, he was catching Leclerc even before the engine issues started.

Capharol

Hammerfist wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 12:01
SmallSoldier wrote:
McMika98 wrote:Ferrari have one lap advantage but in race trim it is about the same as competition. So reliability and tyre management can play its part.
Really? Leclerc was 12 seconds ahead of Hamilton and more than 30 seconds ahead of Verstappen before he had engine issues... Seemed to have way more pace than everyone else.

There are quite a few reasons the gap was that big. The first one being that Vettel was holding up Hamilton during the opening stint, then Hamilton got on the wrong tires in stint 2. Also once Hamilton got free air after he passed Vettel, he was catching Leclerc even before the engine issues started.
and as already been said, RB got the aero wrong, which was showed in Bahrain and the gusty wind made it even worse...
so in one way it's good this happened at the 2nd race

diffuser

Capharol wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 17:54
Hammerfist wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

and as already been said, RB got the aero wrong, which was showed in Bahrain and the gusty wind made it even worse...
I think you can say Williams got the aero wrong ..not sure you can say that about RBR. They're there in the thick of it.

LM10

Hammerfist wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Vettel was not holding up Hamilton in the opening stint...

Capharol

diffuser wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 22:17
Capharol wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:

I think you can say Williams got the aero wrong ..not sure you can say that about RBR. They're there in the thick of it.
Williams got everything wrong and they will be at the back of the grid for the whole season, maybe not even capable of closing the gap that much

RBR just a few parts in the aeropackage which isn't unsolveable and doable at least when they arrive in Spain from there on it can go fast (or at least i hope it does)

Chicane

I love it when it is said, it's just a setup issue when you can clearly see the car struggles with traction. Looking at the lead times in f1 and also that the target is always a moving one, i would be massively surprised Redbull wins a race in the first half of the season at least. Yes in highly fortuitous circumstances they may nick a lucky win but that's not we are talking about.

Redbull's strength last season was their traction out of slow speed corners and how stable it felt even in a less than ideal downforce configuration. Now the drivers have to be extra cautious putting power down. They also seem to have lost their aero efficiency a tad which means they are vulnerable on the straights. Ferrari and Mercedes simply are in an another league and will continue to push on.

Fact of the matter is that Redbull are closer to the midfield than they are to the front 2. They are favorites to finish third in the constructors championship but when you look at their preseason proclamations as to how this is the most expensive Redbull, how this is the best engine integration and how they will be challenging for championship it has turned out to be a damp squib.
Quickshifter

JordanMugen

Chicane wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 06:37
Fact of the matter is that Redbull are closer to the midfield than they are to the front 2. They are favorites to finish third in the constructors championship but when you look at their preseason proclamations as to how this is the most expensive Redbull, how this is the best engine integration and how they will be challenging for championship it has turned out to be a damp squib.
You are presuming their problems are unfixable, which I think is unfair. The Technical Director (more like chief chassis engineer) at Red Bull is a very smart chap (Pierre Wasche, ex-Michelin) and I suspect he is working on some solutions to their traction issues. :wink:
Capharol wrote:
I don't think it is "wrong", it just needs fine tuning. Same with the suspension.

Juzh

etusch wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 06:00
SmallSoldier wrote:

But Vettel ( who is driving another Ferrari ) was beated by Hamilton on track.
Might as well say RB7 and RB9 weren't dominant cars, after all button and alonso both beat webber to second in the championship :roll: You always have to compare best perfromances against each other, otherwise above mentioned scenario could actually hold watter, when it doesn't in reality.

Vettel was miles ahead of bottas before the error btw.

So maybe Ferrari wanted to show what they are with Leclerc and it ended up with failiure? This is just a teory. We will see it during season.
That's grasping for straws and making arguments just for the sake of making them. No proof or anything.

etusch

Juzh wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 09:17
etusch wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 06:00
SmallSoldier wrote:

But Vettel ( who is driving another Ferrari ) was beated by Hamilton on track.
Might as well say RB7 and RB9 weren't dominant cars, after all button and alonso both beat webber to second in the championship :roll: You always have to compare best perfromances against each other, otherwise above mentioned scenario could actually hold watter, when it doesn't in reality.

Vettel was miles ahead of bottas before the error btw.

So maybe Ferrari wanted to show what they are with Leclerc and it ended up with failiure? This is just a teory. We will see it during season.
That's grasping for straws and making arguments just for the sake of making them. No proof or anything.
So there are variables. Engine maps, driver likes the track, feel comfortable with the tyres or car settings etc. And of course what was the team strategy for each driver. Will Ferrari feel comfortable again for pushing like leclerc in bahrain?
You have to consider that bottas were accepted that position before leclerc Engine issue. If vettel were front of him at that stage he could push but it was unnecessary

HPD

Day 25. No one has seen me.. :-$

@AlbertFabrega