2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Talking about Key... Has he made any statements? I don’t think he was interviewed or said anything after Bahrain (which was his first race), nor has he said anything for this Grand Prix... Have I just missed it? I would have expected him to take a more visible role by now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RonDennis

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 04:11
Talking about Key... Has he made any statements? I don’t think he was interviewed or said anything after Bahrain (which was his first race), nor has he said anything for this Grand Prix... Have I just missed it? I would have expected him to take a more visible role by now.

Why? He's just there.

Capharol

RonDennis wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 11:21
SmallSoldier wrote:

Why? He's just there.
hey some people expect that if you just joined the team 2-3 weeks ago, you know all the ins and outs :wink:

Vasconia

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 12:12
The best chassis praise is the presence of a Newey with its own folder. =D> =D> =D>

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 5414956032
If McLaren is again faster than RB in China I guess he Will spend even more time. :mrgreen:

SmallSoldier

Capharol wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Why? He's just there.
hey some people expect that if you just joined the team 2-3 weeks ago, you know all the ins and outs :wink:
It’s not about knowing the ins and outs... He is just a high level, highly publicized hiring that has had a lot of time to prepare to join the team... I’m just surprised that how it has been managed so far.

Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 15:01
Capharol wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

Why? He's just there.
It’s not about knowing the ins and outs... He is just a high level, highly publicized hiring that has had a lot of time to prepare to join the team... I’m just surprised that how it has been managed so far.

To be fair, Pat Fry didn't get much exposure after rejoining the team either. I haven't seen a single interview with him since. I guess for them the work at hand trumps any kind of PR. He'll be too busy getting up to speed, I imagine, and I'd rather they get on with it with as little exposure as possible. There's no need to treat it like it's the second coming.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Capharol wrote: hey some people expect that if you just joined the team 2-3 weeks ago, you know all the ins and outs :wink:

To be fair, Pat Fry didn't get much exposure after rejoining the team either. I haven't seen a single interview with him since. I guess for them the work at hand trumps any kind of PR. He'll be too busy getting up to speed, I imagine, and I'd rather they get on with it with as little exposure as possible. There's no need to treat it like it's the second coming.
You are right... for whatever reason I had Key in my mind playing a role like Gil for the team while Seidl would play a role like Zak for the Motorsport division of Mclaren.

zoroastar

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 15:59
Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

You are right... for whatever reason I had Key in my mind playing a role like Gil for the team while Seidl would play a role like Zak for the Motorsport division of Mclaren.

i think Key will have final say in car design and will probably be the link between different engineering departments and drivers. im not exactly sure what all Gil does, but i was under the impression that hes been getting some help. as in, until Key arrived, his job has been taken up by more than one person, which may have been a necessity since idk if Gil has ever built an f1 car before.

Xero

zoroastar wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 01:06
im not exactly sure what all Gil does, but i was under the impression that hes been getting some help. as in, until Key arrived, his job has been taken up by more than one person, which may have been a necessity since idk if Gil has ever built an f1 car before.
Gil is Sporting Director, which is more about the management of the team on a race weekend, such as sorting flights, hotels, freight, overseeing garage and paddock personnel, and making sure the team are adhering to the rulebook at all times. He has no real input on the technical side. Unlike Key, he'll be a head technical role which will mostly be back at the factory working on improving the car, and perhaps oversee integration of big updates on race weekends. Two vastly separate roles.

_cerber1

101FlyingDutchman

What a great lap from Sainz

EddyBaggio

Looks promising, Q3 for both drivers seems to be reachable.

_cerber1

So far, everything looks good. But in the snails the machine is unstable.

Marc.W

Pleasantly surprised with the pace, considering we were expecting to struggle, and we know we have a better race car than a Qualy car so this is very promising

Ground Effect

Anybody have an idea of how the long runs look?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.