Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Andres125sx

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Or people installing renewables theirselves minimizing power demands to the grid. It could be very easy with a fair contract with energy companies, if they pay for your excess of energy same as they get paid, batteries would not be necessary and the cost and amortization period of renewables will drop dramatically. Then they would become widespread, cost will drop some more, and at some point people would start becoming self suficient

wich is exactly the reason those companies don´t provide that option :roll:

Andres125sx

There has been some new about lithium air batteries recently

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/lithium-air-batteries/

These would be real game changers, wich a range similar to ICE and fast charges combustion engines would become marginal

Greg Locock

"wich is exactly the reason those companies don´t provide that option"

They do in first world countries. I get just over 10c /kWh.

Andres125sx

Greg Locock wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 05:51

Talk for yours please, or have you checked in every country from first world? In Spain they don´t. Are you saying Spain is not from first world?

When you purchase electricity, what´s the price you pay? The same you get paid?

Maritimer

Greg Locock wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 05:51

In Canada they certainly don't and we're very much first world. Its exceedingly rare for any power supplier to pay anywhere close to the rate they sell for excess energy coming from homes. In many instances they dont want it period.

Greg Locock

No, I pay 25 c /kWh for electricity I use.Over a year I generate 8 MWh, which more than pays for the electricity I draw overnight, which is about 1 MWh

I'm not surprised Canada doesn't have a feed in tariff, you are already 81% renewable. Why create the hassle of catering for solar feed in if it isn't needed?

Andres125sx

Greg Locock wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 09:46
No, I pay 25 c /kWh for electricity I use.Over a year I generate 8 MWh, which more than pays for the electricity I draw overnight, which is about 1 MWh

I'm not surprised Canada doesn't have a feed in tariff, you are already 81% renewable. Why create the hassle of catering for solar feed in if it isn't needed?
So your previous statement was completely unnacurate, or your country is not from first world either :P

That´s exactly what I´m talking about, 10 cents for your energy, but they ask for 2.5 times that for theirs... To be fair it should be the other way around, as a small producer have higher costs per GWh than a big plant.

They have to protect their business obviously, but this is a perfect example about why capitalism need some limits, and please don´t get me wrong, comunism is much much worse, but some balance is always needed

djos

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 08:13
So your previous statement was completely unnacurate, or your country is not from first world either :P

That´s exactly what I´m talking about, 10 cents for your energy, but they ask for 2.5 times that for theirs... To be fair it should be the other way around, as a small producer have higher costs per GWh than a big plant.

They have to protect their business obviously, but this is a perfect example about why capitalism need some limits, and please don´t get me wrong, comunism is much much worse, but some balance is always needed
Personally I think Solar owners should only have to pay the difference between what they import and export. eg you import 10kW's in a day and export 5kWh's leaving you with a bill for 5kWh's (but calculated over a month).

I currently get paid 11.3c p/kWh and get slugged 29c p/kWh peak and 14c p/kWh off-peak.

Yesterday is a great example of how crap the current system is for me - I imported 10.710 kWh's, exported 18.255 kWh's and the day still cost me $2.63 AUD. :wtf:
"In downforce we trust"

Just_a_fan

If you get paid less than you pay then you should use what you generate and just pay to "top up" what you don't generate. Unless you generate so much that one offsets the other, of course, like Greg does.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 09:25
If you get paid less than you pay then you should use what you generate and just pay to "top up" what you don't generate. Unless you generate so much that one offsets the other, of course, like Greg does.
My solar system has halved my electricity bill overall but if I had storage I think it would half again. The ROI just isn't there atm but if you could use your electric car as home storage to cover the peak power times it would be great.
"In downforce we trust"

Andres125sx

djos wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 08:24
Personally I think Solar owners should only have to pay the difference between what they import and export. eg you import 10kW's in a day and export 5kWh's leaving you with a bill for 5kWh's (but calculated over a month).
That´s exactly what I was talking about, it should be same price and only pay the normal price for the net balance

Then renewables will be dramatically more efficient from the economic point of view, but that´s exactly what they don´t want to not reduce their customers bill.

But if we´re talking about grid problems if everybody owns an EV, this would be the best and easiest solution, and also the most fair

Andres125sx

djos wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 09:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 09:25
My solar system has halved my electricity bill overall but if I had storage I think it would half again. The ROI just isn't there atm but if you could use your electric car as home storage to cover the peak power times it would be great.
But with storage then you have to add a battery cost, wich is very significant, both for its high price and its low lifespan, so the ROI would be increased significantly

About the battery from an EV, it would decrease its lifespan and they are VERY expensive, even more than a normal battery for home instalations, so I would never use it for that. A discarded battery from an EV would be very different tough. Actually that´s what Im considering, a reduced capacity is not a problem for home, nor is the decreased discharge rate, wich is the main problem with old batteries, and price should be obviously much lower

strad

if they pay for your excess of energy same as they get paid,
Sounds like you want them to operate as non-profits.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

strad wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 18:12
if they pay for your excess of energy same as they get paid,
Sounds like you want them to operate as non-profits.
No, we already pay $1.09 AUD just to be on the grid so if we actually paid only for the excess power we used and they got any excess solar power for free it would encourage ppl to install sensible sized solar systems because there is no profit in over-sizing and exporting huge amounts of excess power.

I know some ppl with 10kW arrays who export 80% of their power, mine is only 5.4kW which is perfect for most of our needs.
"In downforce we trust"