2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Not too disappointed- such a tiny amount of lap time covering a whole host of cars.

Start tomorrow on the medium tyre- it’s much the better race tyre and in a tight midfield on a tyre deg circuit, that’s probably more valuable than the quali position.

Should be very racy tomorrow!

chrisgr

The qualy was a total disaster. Thats why no one should care for FP times. But I think we are better at race pace. And with our top speed we have many chances for overtaking other cars at those straights.

ripleysend

I think we're set up for race trim. On mediums, good top speed. We'll be fine tomorrow

mclaren113

fouad1979 wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 08:51
The only good news is we will start with new medium tyre for the race is much better than the soft like the others
The 3 cars in front will start on mediums too..so it'll be challenging to score points tomorrow

FittingMechanics

Quite disappointed but I guess the drivers weren't wrong when they were saying that front limited tracks will be a challenge until the car gets upgrades. Obviously the car is much stronger on rear downforce.

Still, quite hopeful for the race, Norris had a really good run last time from 15th so maybe it'll work out this time as well.

Ground Effect

Do we even have a new set of mediums? The irony is they stocked up on Softs, so it's painful not to make it through. Hoping for a strong race though.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

I think we are just not that quick on this track. I'm not expecting much from tomorrow but hopefully we may sneak a tenth place.

The track is bumpy and I wonder if the car struggles with it, alongside the potential front downforce issues.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

bauc

Not too bad, I think with good strategy we can fight for points tomorrow, it was obvious that the car has stability issues when turning in V shaped corners and they put the foot on the gas quite more carefully so overall we are in the mix and I think we have good tyre management so I'm hoping we can finish in points tomorrow with 1 car
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

FittingMechanics

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 09:05
Do we even have a new set of mediums? The irony is they stocked up on Softs, so it's painful not to make it through. Hoping for a strong race though.
Yes, I believe there was a picture with available sets after FP2. McLaren had 1 each of medium and hard (along with 4-5 softs). In FP3 they ran only on softs just as in the qualifying. Unless some of that data was wrong, McLaren can see what strategy seems the best and ran on new tires throughout.

McL-H

I see no problem for the race tomorrow. It is a track at which it is more important to focus on race setup than on qualifying. I am sure it is possible to finish with both cars in the points at tomorrow’s race, in front of the Renaults.

No worries folks. Points are divided come Sunday. Our car is moderately good.

RonDennis

Why is everyone talking about overtaking. It's clear that this track isn't suited for this car. McLaren has warned everyone about this after the race in Bahrain, that there will be races where they are at the back.

Capharol

RonDennis wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 11:54
Why is everyone talking about overtaking. It's clear that this track isn't suited for this car. McLaren has warned everyone about this after the race in Bahrain, that there will be races where they are at the back.
but some where so hyped by Bahrain (they can fight with RB, etc. comments), that they didn't see it.

in racing sport (or any sport at all) it ain't all black & white, that's what fans need to learn and see

Mansell89

I think it’s pretty clear that the midfield is split by about 2 tenths, so one mistake on your lap and you’re 14th instead of 7th. That’s all it is.

I think tomorrow will be a mega fight in the midfield.

Capharol

Mansell89 wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 12:22
I think it’s pretty clear that the midfield is split by about 2 tenths, so one mistake on your lap and you’re 14th instead of 7th. That’s all it is.

I think tomorrow will be a mega fight in the midfield.
sorry to disappoint you but, Grosjean (10th) drove a 1.33.156 and both McLarens did (Sainz) 1.33.523, (Norris) 1.33.967
thats a bit more then 0.2 of what you talking about ....

of course in Baku it can be a whole other story and all in all i guess the midfield are indeed seperated by 0.2-0.4s.

but after some here hyped McLaren after Bahrain and talking about being close to RB etc., for those this shows how it really stands on the grid.

Yes i think even tomorrow McLaren can even be fighting for 6th (Gasly ain't that good as it seems) and yes it's gonna be a close fight....

Ground Effect

From the start, they stressed it would be harder today. So let's hope for a strong race, maximize any opportunities we get and most of all, hope that updates expected in Barcelona address our weaknesses.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.