2019 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Edax

Re: 2019 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 12-14

dfegan358 wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 14:50
Vettel team radio after qualifying “ we had it , we had it. “ then “we know why though”

Any ideas to what he is getting at? Seen somewhere else referring to poor outlap management by the pit wall.
I think Leclerc tried to do an Alonso and push VET out of the q3 time window. If VET would not have overtaken VES he would have succeeded.

Guess it is going to be an interesting first corner

Restomaniac

JordanMugen wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 15:13
Restomaniac wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 14:54
Yet no team has ever managed it through similar reg changes no matter how major/minor.
How about Ferrari maintaining their championships from 2000 to 2001, despite the raised front wing height in 2001? :wink:

Williams also were not troubled by the reduction in rear tyre width and vehicle width from 1992 to 1993.
I thought it was more of a nose height change? But I get your point.

Restomaniac

dfegan358 wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 14:50
Vettel team radio after qualifying “ we had it , we had it. “ then “we know why though”

Any ideas to what he is getting at? Seen somewhere else referring to poor outlap management by the pit wall.

I’m not convinced. Something could going we don’t know about it. Obviously a problem with the CE as Giovinazzi needed his replaced.

Would an older spec CE, like vettel and Leclerc had today affect PU performance?
Bit of a strange comment from Vettel that. If the Mercedes had managed to squeeze everything out with perfect laps then fair enough but it’s clear neither did. He also may have got lucky with Verstappen not getting a second run.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 13 Apr 2019, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

kistigun

Anyone got some info about fp2 long runs?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6013 met Tapatalk

atanatizante

That new soft tyre Lewis has it for the race was the main reason why he did that second hot lap in Q2 instead of using the soft one as all other driver from top 3 teams did?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

cirrusflyer

What about defferences among the drivers at Merc, Ferrari and Renault?
Realy small at all three teams. 😁
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

Ringleheim

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all during winter testing the word was that Ferrari was gaining time in the medium and fast corners in Barcelona. Word was their car was very aerodynamically efficient and producing good downforce.

In contrast, the Mercedes was seen to have a high speed corner understeer problem and so tracks with proper corners were going to be an advantage for Ferrari.

FF to China and the SKY Sports guys are going on about how Ferrari has clearly gone with a "low downforce" concept for their car, whereas Mercedes is the opposite...and so Ferrari is fast on the straights but the Mercedes is "Bloody quick" (to quote Vettel) in the corners.

What the hell is going on?

Restomaniac

Ringleheim wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 17:08
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all during winter testing the word was that Ferrari was gaining time in the medium and fast corners in Barcelona. Word was their car was very aerodynamically efficient and producing good downforce.

In contrast, the Mercedes was seen to have a high speed corner understeer problem and so tracks with proper corners were going to be an advantage for Ferrari.

FF to China and the SKY Sports guys are going on about how Ferrari has clearly gone with a "low downforce" concept for their car, whereas Mercedes is the opposite...and so Ferrari is fast on the straights but the Mercedes is "Bloody quick" (to quote Vettel) in the corners.

The cold winter testing.

Ferrari were actually in their tyre window there. Mercedes were actually having trouble getting heat into theirs so much that they were making a mess of them due to cold graining.

They go to a track with more traditional temps and suddenly the truth surfaces.

Wouter

kistigun wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 15:38
Anyone got some info about fp2 long runs?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6013 met Tapatalk
SECOND PRACTICE

Lap Times ---->

https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula- ... ormation-7
The Power of Dreams!

Ringleheim

Restomaniac wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 17:14
Ringleheim wrote:

The cold winter testing.

Ferrari were actually in their tyre window there. Mercedes were actually having trouble getting heat into theirs so much that they were making a mess of them due to cold graining.

"The truth surfaces" meaning what? Mercedes has better downforce overall and Ferrari is suffering in this department?

I still don't feel like I have a good reading on the strengths of the Ferrari.

I think we know the Mercedes is pretty strong on all types of track.

Restomaniac

Ringleheim wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 17:22
Restomaniac wrote:
Ringleheim wrote:

The cold winter testing.

"The truth surfaces" meaning what? Mercedes has better downforce overall and Ferrari is suffering in this department?

I still don't feel like I have a good reading on the strengths of the Ferrari.

I think we know the Mercedes is pretty strong on all types of track.
In cold conditions the Ferrari could lean on their tyres a lot due to them being in the operating window.

In hotter conditions they cannot lean on them anywhere near as hard as Mercedes can. Remember the only time (so far) they have shown up the field was a night race.

So far we have had the Aussie summer (Mercedes)
Bahrain at night (Ferrari)
Now an un-normally warm China (Mercedes).

That could all be BS from me but it’s how I read it. Ferrari have gone all out for top end speed by trimming down their Aero. Which is fine when the temps are low as you can push like hell (let them slide around) on cold Tyres and keep them in the window. However when it warmer you end up either cooking your Tyres or you are slow as hell in the corners.

Unc1eM0nty

So any opinions on race pace, I've seen very little info on this but it's anyone's race as far as I can see,

I

dfegan358

Vettel will fancy his chances of getting Hamilton at the start.
Ferrari get tyres warmed up more quickly it seems. Especially with straight like advantage
Will be interesting race.
Nowadays race can throw up any scenario.
Tyres will play a big role.

iotar__

Restomaniac wrote:
Ringleheim wrote:

The cold winter testing.

Was Bahrain cold like Barcelona, China warmer? Operating window is too vague of an excuse and should apply less to the best overall car (let's say). No one builds the car to work only in cold winter testing :wink: .

I'm with OP on this one, there's no logic to it, first it was a track (Aus vs Barcelona), then engine, packaging and cooling (apparently it was too cold :wtf: ), now some DF/straight line speed set up and tyre pressure magic.

My equally vague explanation is that they had to change some basics (let's say in terms of engine/reliability) that forced them to play with other parts to get back to square one, hits and misses ensued, relative and track related, meaning it's not one flaw. China is a bit of surprise but I expect them to be back at the top soon.

NathanOlder

atanatizante wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 15:48
That new soft tyre Lewis has it for the race was the main reason why he did that second hot lap in Q2 instead of using the soft one as all other driver from top 3 teams did?
Nah, Hamiltons first run on the mediums in Q2 was poor so he had to go again, Bot Vet Lec all had a decent lap so went out for a warm up lap on the softs before Q3.

Hamilton has that set of softs left over purely for that reason. Could come in handy tomorrow, who knows.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC