2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Morteza

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Patrick Head is already here this weekend
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

netoperek

Morteza wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 05:16
Patrick Head is already here this weekend
He's been busy, auditing and talking to people in all depts, gathering data. Looks like he's preparing to take TD position.
BTW, Kubicas car has probably problems with stiffness of the floor. Aero balance under braking is shifted towards front by 8% on same setup as Russels car. This forces him to use very understeery setup to not loose it completely under heavy braking.

zoro_f1

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

netoperek

It looks like the most frustrating problem for drivers seems to be that their cars tend to behave differently each time they take it out of the garage. Both reported that they could go a bit faster, given the car behaved a bit more predictably and repeatably.

Vasconia

The gap between Kubica and Rusell is becoming smaller which I think is good forRobert and also for the team. The unpredictability of the car and its big flaws have a more complicated solution though.

roy928tt

Williams STILL have a better finish record than Renault! This year, and it's going to take Renault a while to catch up....

netoperek

Vasconia wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 18:56
The gap between Kubica and Rusell is becoming smaller which I think is good forRobert and also for the team. The unpredictability of the car and its big flaws have a more complicated solution though.
the gap becoming smaller might be an indication of Robert getting faster, Russel getting slower, and most of all their cars more less equalizing. Or any combination of those. They can't be really compared unfortunatelly at the moment, as they've never driven in comparable conditions. From what has been told about their cars earlier, Russel should be 0.6-0.9s faster had both drivers extracted maximum. Maybe now the difference is not as big. That said, I think George is doing really, really well for his age and quite frankly could give few regular drivers a run for their money.

Big Tea

netoperek wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 11:24
Vasconia wrote:
the gap becoming smaller might be an indication of Robert getting faster, Russel getting slower, and most of all their cars more less equalizing. Or any combination of those. They can't be really compared unfortunatelly at the moment, as they've never driven in comparable conditions. From what has been told about their cars earlier, Russel should be 0.6-0.9s faster had both drivers extracted maximum. Maybe now the difference is not as big. That said, I think George is doing really, really well for his age and quite frankly could give few regular drivers a run for their money.
There probably comes a point when a driver realises no matter how much he puts into it, he is never going to catch the car infront and only puts in enough to keep the car behind there
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

bill shoe

Yes, how does Russell prove himself on this situation? If your car is not in contact with the rest of the field then your resume has one line: “I did (or did not) beat my teammate”. How does Russell expand this to fill one of his famous PowerPoint presentations?

Vasconia

Big Tea wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 20:26
netoperek wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
There probably comes a point when a driver realises no matter how much he puts into it, he is never going to catch the car infront and only puts in enough to keep the car behind there
During this race I saw how the gap between both was increased and reduced quite strangedly. I mean, there was a moment where Robert was 30 seconds behind, then like 3-4 laps before the end he was only 3 seconds behind and suddenly the gap was increased till almost 14-15 seconds. Why?

Raleigh

Vasconia wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 10:02
Big Tea wrote:
netoperek wrote:

During this race I saw how the gap between both was increased and reduced quite strangedly. I mean, there was a moment where Robert was 30 seconds behind, then like 3-4 laps before the end he was only 3 seconds behind and suddenly the gap was increased till almost 14-15 seconds. Why?
Russell boxed for new tires on lap 50.

netoperek

Raleigh wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 10:12
Vasconia wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 10:02
Big Tea wrote:

Russell boxed for new tires on lap 50.
Actually, at some point Williams switched into test session mode. They kept Robert like 12s in pits, adjusting stuff to check different aero settings :) On Roberts first stint Williams also checked how long can You drive Mediums on the very worst car on the grid. Apparently they've had enough once Robert hit 1:48 barrier, but at least got longest stint on Mediums award :P They had nothing to gain or lose, as there's not much chance they won't finish last. They can't even race each other currently.
little rant mode on, as I need to get it out from the system, sorry!
That's most puzzling for me. I get it they couldn't make it in time for first race. We're after third race now and they still couldn't provide new floor for Robert? Even though it's broken and not even made properly with huge stiffness discrepancy to begin with?
I'm Roberts fan and have also always been fond of Williams, but I think I'm capable of fair judgment. Pointing out some of Williams weird actions may sound like fanboism, but damn it's annoying when Williams put "Your driver" in a situation, where matching his teammate on score board would mean demolishing him actually and You know that armchair critics and most media will judge him as unfit and slow because who cares about full context. I can understand why Williams chose to give scraps to Robert instead of George - it's quite obvious as it ticks all the boxes. Robert is a veteran, who has driven competitively most kind of cars, so if he can't handle it, it can't be handled. He also has his "limitations", which conveniently provides an excuse and benefit of doubt. For many it's obvious that driving a rushed for preseason testing, badly manufactured, damaged multiple times, dog of a car with about 6k kilometers on it is not as much of a thing as "it must be the arm" or "he got slow after those years out of F1" (as if he haven't been driving at all in those years). There's also less to lose, as George being British, Mercedes protegee, acknowledged as talented young prospect is more risky as You could piss off a lot more people You care not piss off, than with Robert.
It all sucks.

munudeges

bill shoe wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 21:55
Yes, how does Russell prove himself on this situation? If your car is not in contact with the rest of the field then your resume has one line: “I did (or did not) beat my teammate”. How does Russell expand this to fill one of his famous PowerPoint presentations?
The fact that a driver has felt the need to do a PowerPoint presentation for himself does not sit well with me at all.

munudeges

How do you lose over a second with an improved Mercedes in the back? How is that even possible?

munudeges

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 10:48
I was wondering what Head can bring to the party, F1 organisations and technology have moved on since his day, from a pure technical point of view I don't think he had much to offer.
Williams is a ludicrously political organisation. Only Head can come in there and do anything with Claire. Minus the name, Head is Williams.