Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ScrewCaptain27

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

AMuS
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

pantherxxx

I still feel like even if the Ferrari SF90 is the fastest car on the grid, if they can't fix their reliability problems, they won't win the championship.

Webber2011

pantherxxx wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 10:27
I still feel like even if the Ferrari SF90 is the fastest car on the grid, if they can't fix their reliability problems, they won't win the championship.

Again 😉

f300v10

Ferrari fitted the 'spoonish' rear wing seen at the Bahrain test on Seb's car in FP2:

f1jcw

If this is true, it is. Earthquake

Interesting from Rosberg:

"I talked to the Ferrari guys and they said to me that they have positioned the car wrong regarding the aerodynamics. They are driving with less aero and they don't have an adequate package to put on the car to have more downforce."

Rosberg: "They are working on that. Ferrari will bring a new rear wing soon. But the problem is that the whole car is positioned in that area so it's not easy. Just changing the rear wing might make the car completely inefficient."

https://mobile.twitter.com/Vetteleclerc ... 6446476288

Ringleheim

f1jcw wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 12:51
If this is true, it is. Earthquake

Interesting from Rosberg:

"I talked to the Ferrari guys and they said to me that they have positioned the car wrong regarding the aerodynamics. They are driving with less aero and they don't have an adequate package to put on the car to have more downforce."

Rosberg: "They are working on that. Ferrari will bring a new rear wing soon. But the problem is that the whole car is positioned in that area so it's not easy. Just changing the rear wing might make the car completely inefficient."

https://mobile.twitter.com/Vetteleclerc ... 6446476288
What does he mean "The whole car is positioned in that area" ???

Does he mean there are many components under the bodywork in the area that needs to be modified, so it would be a packaging nightmare to substantially change the car because you would have to move so many things around or change their design?

Or does he mean something else?

Doesn't sound good!

f1jcw

I presumed that he means the whole aero concept is developed in this way, so to change it they have to change everything

djones

I would read it as the front wing concept and then back from there as the package.

This would fall in line with 'that BBC article' from a month or so ago.

Maybe we will see a spec b at some stage with a traditional front wing. I say spec b as there are probably a LOT of things that need to change to account for that.

Fer.Fan

So far SF-90 seems to have lack of downforce. The car is slow in corners.

Compared to quali 2018 SF-90 was 0,8 sec slower today in quali. I think the hole aerokoncept seems wrong.

Mr.G

Or they expected rain which doesn't came and ser it up different...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

mika vs michael

Mr.G wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 20:11
Or maybe the SF-90 is not the car they all thought it was during winter testing in Barcelona!
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

PhillipM

Mr.G wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 20:11
You wouldn't set the car up with less DF and more straightline speed for rain...

mmred

Fer.Fan wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 19:44
So far SF-90 seems to have lack of downforce. The car is slow in corners.

Compared to quali 2018 SF-90 was 0,8 sec slower today in quali. I think the hole aerokoncept seems wrong.
the real difference is just 0,3
there s no wrong aeroconcept
there are just aero good for more downforce and aeros for less
they may have a car good for faster tracks
in the end you win after all the races

the reliability i an issue instead, cause when you are superior like in barhein you have to win

GrandAxe

If Ferrari is going to bring a new rear wing to sort their issues, then they might have to produce even bigger bargeboards than the current huge ones they have to balance front and rear downforce. It would be an interesting car to see.

It would also be interesting to see if BBC's secret aero guy is correct about the low downforce front wing offering few options for development. I know this link has already been posted a thousand times :) :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47527705

... But maybe, just maybe, Ferrari is developing an RB/Merc style front wing alongside the new rear wing and we might see an entire change of downforce philosophy mid-season!