2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Capharol

Re: 2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

GoranF1 wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 17:59
It looks to me like Ferrari has a car whit which Fernando Alonso could fight the Mercedes, but Vettel can not always, and Leclerc can sometimes.
oh please stop this "Fernando Alonso-could ...." postings
He quit F1 so it ain't a issue anymore and even if he hadn't he wouldn't drive a Ferrari.

wickedz50

What are the options for 2020 here? who is going to replace Vettel at Ferrari? Ric or can Ferrari get Ves? I think getting a top driver to replace Vettel will be easy...most important can Ferrari build a championship winning car even in 2020, 2021......? Even GOD does not know!!!

wickedz50

Jambier wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 14:43
What a poor team

Still protecting their weak pilot, 3 races, 3 race order.

Hopefully they will be better and let Leclerc fight with the Merc
Result will still be the same...a driver needs a competetive reliable car first

Big Tea

I like Vettel. He is showing he is Human. I also believe he is the equal of any option to replace him.
He will be back, but I do not know if it will be with Ferrari, he does not seem to fit in there.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wickedz50

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

mmred wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 16:45
GrizzleBoy wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 16:28
Dont forget guys, that higher downforce can work a tire more and put it into a better temperature range to provide grip. It is possible that the low downforce front wing creates a string of consequences that all work against each other in certain situations.

For example:

Ferraris half wing approach possibly isn't bringing the tyres up to temperature enough under load.

The tyres have a thinner tread this year too, allowing temperature to escape the tyres faster.

The side effect from that would be tyres that are out of their working range, scrubbing across the track more than usual and causing more graining than usual.

Grained tyres grip even less, and create even less temperature as the tyres simply scrub around on bobbles of damaged compound.

Leading to increased degradation.

Leading to slower laps.

Leading to lower temps.

Etc etc etc on and on with everything working and linking together to work against the performance of the car.
if you read what i wrote before we agree. it s a tyre problem. they cose an aero suited for different tyres, they changed the tyres nw every team with more efficient bu less downforce aero is in trouble having to run softer suspensions to prevent the overheating and losing balance in slow corners when abrupt vertical loads make the car unstable under braking

iit s a multi area problem, all chosen by pirelli
So you say Pirelli and Merc got together to RIP Ferrari

mmred

wickedz50 wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 19:13
mmred wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 16:45
GrizzleBoy wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 16:28
Dont forget guys, that higher downforce can work a tire more and put it into a better temperature range to provide grip. It is possible that the low downforce front wing creates a string of consequences that all work against each other in certain situations.

For example:

Ferraris half wing approach possibly isn't bringing the tyres up to temperature enough under load.

The tyres have a thinner tread this year too, allowing temperature to escape the tyres faster.

The side effect from that would be tyres that are out of their working range, scrubbing across the track more than usual and causing more graining than usual.

Grained tyres grip even less, and create even less temperature as the tyres simply scrub around on bobbles of damaged compound.

Leading to increased degradation.

Leading to slower laps.

Leading to lower temps.

Etc etc etc on and on with everything working and linking together to work against the performance of the car.
if you read what i wrote before we agree. it s a tyre problem. they cose an aero suited for different tyres, they changed the tyres nw every team with more efficient bu less downforce aero is in trouble having to run softer suspensions to prevent the overheating and losing balance in slow corners when abrupt vertical loads make the car unstable under braking

iit s a multi area problem, all chosen by pirelli
So you say Pirelli and Merc got together to RIP Ferrari
is that news here?

by the way technically the correct answer would be, they changed the tyre to suit more data coming from their clients, it just happens that those data favours cars with more downforce ( providing less mechanical grip with the tyre due to a stricter window of good temperatures for the others, window that they choose to narrow excluding some cars)

funny eh

tpeman

I mentioned it in the race thread, it is wrong to call Vettel "weak". Many of his errors come from overdriving the car (Baku and Germany 2018). People should stop focusing on what the media says, because the media glorified him during the 2015 season. I cannot recall a race during his Ferrari stint when he was off-pace so far. In my opinion, what this man needs right now is a lot of support and most importantly - calm atmosphere, something which Ferrari isn't exactly bringing right now. Hamilton's position was similar during the early 2010s in McLaren (the most distinctive example being the 2011 season).

subcritical71

wickedz50 wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 18:57
What are the options for 2020 here? who is going to replace Vettel at Ferrari? Ric or can Ferrari get Ves? I think getting a top driver to replace Vettel will be easy...most important can Ferrari build a championship winning car even in 2020, 2021......? Even GOD does not know!!!
TBH, I would think LEC will replace Vettel either this year or by no later than 2020. Even with a poor strategy this race and a car problem the last race he is only one point behind the favored driver.

cooken

The biggest flaw was not accounting for Max in their shuffle. Too busy looking ahead. Say what you will about team orders being appropriate, but at the very least execute it properly. Absolutely no reason for them to finish 3-4 here.

Mattchu

Shader wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 10:52
We are not dumb here, we all know that. Question is why was he not faster when he got in front?
Speak for yourself :P

djones

Car speed aside, this VET / LEC driver lineup is going to be really bad for Ferrari this season. I predicted it before the start, but three races in its confirmed - for me anyway.

You can only have two fast drivers when the car is super dominant, or they just steal points from each other and get in each others way.

mmred

djones wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 21:42
JordanMugen wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 16:23
dtro wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 01:19
Rosberg is a superhero just like Newey and has CFD vision? I had no clue.
Not so much... Rather, cars with shallow front wing concept like Ferrari (& Alfa Romeo & Toro Rosso) run less overall downforce than cars with conventional front wing. The downforce potential of the shallow front wing is less, and therefore a lower downforce rear wing is also fitted (for balance): these teams are therefore choosing to run lower drag.

Refer BBC's "secret aerodynamicist" > https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47527705
If the Ferrari/Alfa concept is indeed geared towards low downforce on purpose then it will only ever be a one trick pony.

Not just a new front/rear wing would be needed, but an entirely new spec of car with the traditional concept of Mercedes and Redbull.

I.e. This season is already over for them.

At the last race Ferrari were fastest. But I honestly think this was a case of Mercedes not getting the car working, rather than Ferrari being fast per se.
since the problem is not aero but mechanical grip at low speed you are clearly wrong

look it s the famous english news say: it s been years they always pretend the italians have the worst aero... but if you look closely mostly it was the opposite, at least from 2 years the real problem for the italians are tyres and suspensions while they excel on fast corners where aero is needed. it s most selfexaltation from brit newspapers, just that.

it s always complex to say what is the key factor here, but if you loose on straight it s the engine, if you lose on fast corner it prevails the aero, if you lose on slow corners that s where suspensions are the key, guess what s happening now and deduce the problem

Jozsusz

mmred wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 22:44
djones wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 21:42
JordanMugen wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 16:23

Not so much... Rather, cars with shallow front wing concept like Ferrari (& Alfa Romeo & Toro Rosso) run less overall downforce than cars with conventional front wing. The downforce potential of the shallow front wing is less, and therefore a lower downforce rear wing is also fitted (for balance): these teams are therefore choosing to run lower drag.

Refer BBC's "secret aerodynamicist" > https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47527705
If the Ferrari/Alfa concept is indeed geared towards low downforce on purpose then it will only ever be a one trick pony.

Not just a new front/rear wing would be needed, but an entirely new spec of car with the traditional concept of Mercedes and Redbull.

I.e. This season is already over for them.

At the last race Ferrari were fastest. But I honestly think this was a case of Mercedes not getting the car working, rather than Ferrari being fast per se.
since the problem is not aero but mechanical grip at low speed you are clearly wrong

look it s the famous english news say: it s been years they always pretend the italians have the worst aero... but if you look closely mostly it was the opposite, at least from 2 years the real problem for the italians are tyres and suspensions while they excel on fast corners where aero is needed. it s most selfexaltation from brit newspapers, just that.

it s always complex to say what is the key factor here, but if you loose on straight it s the engine, if you lose on fast corner it prevails the aero, if you lose on slow corners that s where suspensions are the key, guess what s happening now and deduce the problem
Mercedes always had superior aero, I don't know what are you talking about. Last year Merc were struggling with the tyres as well as with the low mechanical grip thus weaker acceleration from slow corners...

Jambier

wickedz50 wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 18:57
If I'm correct:

- LEC have a 4 years contract
- VET have another year yet (2020)

So I assume the line up will remain the same for 2020

And also Vettel can be a perfect number 2. But of course he will not want that so maybe he will retire.

For 2021 it's quite far. RIC can be an option, of maybe VES if RB don't deliver a winning car?

Jolle

Maybe these years next to Kimi made Vettel not sharp enough. If he can crack his riding before he gets nasty (you know, like letting his lawyers send letters) he might have a chance. Else it’s going to get tough for him.

He wouldn’t be the first WC that breaks his contract with Ferrari (thinking of it, did a (former) WC ever finish their contract with them?)

Ferrari is loyal to their number two’s but very hard on their star drivers.