2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Datco

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Bill wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 15:32
The internet is available to everyone an interview with marko
What about the one with Horner?Tried searching using your statement and nothing. Any link or is it just in your head?

etusch

I think there are 3 points.
1. Everybody know that Honda engine is not Mercedes/Ferrari level. Honda themself also declared that they are behind. But it is good to see that there is good performance from engine side. So they can buit up from here and I believe they will get better and better. I hope their monaco or canada update make them closer.
2 I think there is integration issue and will be better in time but especially next season.
3. Unmature aero concept. I expect they will sort it out in a short time completely.

Wouter

etusch wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 18:03
1. Everybody know that Honda engine is not Mercedes/Ferrari level. Honda themself also declared that they are behind. But it is good to see that there is good performance from engine side. So they can buit up from here and I believe they will get better and better. I hope their monaco or canada update make them closer.
I agree.

2 I think there is integration issue and will be better in time but especially next season.
There is no intergration issue. Everything is going fine.

3. Unmature aero concept. I expect they will sort it out in a short time completely.
I agree to that too. :)
The Power of Dreams!

Jaisonas

Honda is perfectly fine and Albon's race is the proof of that

etusch

Wouter wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 18:13
etusch wrote:
I agree.

For my second claim, I except that saying "issue" to that may not be completely true. But I think it(integration) is not perfect or mature like aero concept and you know they are talking some gains by repacking engine. I think there are somethings they can do or they found out. If it is not big ( hope so) they can fix it/perfect it. If bigger then it perfection will come next year.

godsire

etusch wrote:
Changing the aero concept is not such an easy thing - definitely not a short-time solution. Mercedes brought Race 1 spec to 2nd week in Barcelona which was a major step in aero philosophy. They claimed all the updates were finalised 2-3 months before, already in production during other teams' Launch events. This is a timescale required to actually make a U-turn if they reckon their car is flawed and bring something that is 'revolutionary' (which to be honest only Mercedes managed to demonstrate across all major rule changes - that they always tend to get things right).

Jambier

Will team begin to switch from the high rake?

RB, Ferrari, Renault etc...use it.
But maybe at the end Mercedes is right not to have it?

But this mean changing many things

I have the feeling that RB is sticking since a long time to their philosophy, but it's never enough to fight for title.

Maybe 2021 will be the big change?

Edax

etusch wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 19:53
Wouter wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 18:13
etusch wrote:
I agree.

For my second claim, I except that saying "issue" to that may not be completely true. But I think it(integration) is not perfect or mature like aero concept and you know they are talking some gains by repacking engine. I think there are somethings they can do or they found out. If it is not big ( hope so) they can fix it/perfect it. If bigger then it perfection will come next year.
You might have a point here. Several people have claimed that the biggest asset of the renault engine was the traction, mainly due to its engine placement, further back than most. Looking back at recent years the RB’ have been optimised around that trait, with aero suspension and gearing. How often have we’ve seen a RB blasting out of a corner to run out of gears at the end of a straight. The last years cars almost looked like they were designed with Singapore in mind.

The Honda engine seems to be a bit different, perhaps forcing RB to rethink their optimization strategy. They now have to design a car around an engine which perhaps is a bit less drivable at the low end but can compete at intermediate and top speeds.

There is no “perfect” package. Just an optimization for some tracks and a compromise for others. I guess RB will need a good part of this year to optimize around a new philosophy.

But that said, I am positively surprised with where they are now.

Sayeman

Honda Power

Never Give up.

seezung

Honda engine upgrade coming in Baku?

Rumoured to deliver 20 additional horses. 2 Dutch sites currently confirming;

https://www.f1maximaal.nl/nieuws/formul ... erbeidzjan

https://www.gpblog.com/nl/nieuws/35006/ ... baku-.html

Capharol

seezung wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 10:20

that is all quoted from another dutch newspaper de Telegraaf, who isn't really that well informed (my opinion) about F1.
at least they are the last to look at if you want "breaking news" about F1

seezung

Correct, that why i mentioned "rumoured". Although, wherever there's smoke there's fire ;)

etusch

seezung wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 10:20

The upgrade would be no less than twenty horsepower, which would have earned Red Bull two tenths of profit per round. That would mean good news for the Austrian team, since they were just in time for the Ferrari team in China
Two tenths per round means 20 hp for race trim, correct?

Capharol

seezung wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 10:39
Correct, that why i mentioned "rumoured". Although, wherever there's smoke there's fire ;)
yeah well that could be but these are the only 3 newspapers that report about it and they are dutch and 2 out of 3 copied it from the 1st one, which still isn't the biggest source about F1.
I doubt highly that they bring an PU with more power to AZE, but lets wait and see

Godius

What caught my eyes was that the RBR did not have the pure pace yet to compete with Ferrari but somehow Verstappen managed to stay close to them. He knew that the Ferrari was going to be faster than him after the pitstop but he managed to make a move on Vettel anyway, a pity he locked up but Vettel set a lap 1,5 seconds faster than Verstappen after that lap. Somehow the Mercedes and Ferrari are able to race a qualy mode setting in the race as well for a short time. Honda needs to work on this as well. Good job from Gasly as well in finding some confidence back and taking the fastest lap in the end.