2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

trinidefender wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 20:23
I wish I had more down votes so i can downvote every post continuing this back and forth verbal diarrhoea whether for or against McLaren concerning the Honda vs Renault argumet. It's off topic, completely unrelated to this season and does nothing to further any discussion. Do the children in the group mind creating a new topic somewhere else other than this thread where you can scream at each other?

On a more on topic note, unlucky guys. Can anyone give me a nutshell description of how Carlos was able to battle his way up to 14th? How was the race pace. I ended up turning off the box and went to sleep once the two cars got taken out.
According to the post-race data. Sainz was faster on pace compared to Ricciardo by nearly 8 seconds by the time the race was over. Considering the damage he sustained on the bargeboard area, that performance bodes well for the car's race pace.

hollus

You can see his pace 3 pages up or at racefans, for example. Without the accident, 7th was possible, although of course he had a traffic-free race.
Rivals, not enemies.

GoranF1

It seems that when everything is clean, Sainz is considerbly faster than Norris.
But so far it hasnt been clean at all for Sainz
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sieper

It almost never is. And it is almost always the other guy. Sainz really needs to dig deeper. The Mclaren this year is a good car, Sainz is talented and this might be a crucial year for McLaren. If they can catch a great titel sponsor like coca cola for real they might just make it back to the top but they need to capitalize on the progress made.

M840TR

Emag wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 20:57
trinidefender wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 20:23
I wish I had more down votes so i can downvote every post continuing this back and forth verbal diarrhoea whether for or against McLaren concerning the Honda vs Renault argumet. It's off topic, completely unrelated to this season and does nothing to further any discussion. Do the children in the group mind creating a new topic somewhere else other than this thread where you can scream at each other?

On a more on topic note, unlucky guys. Can anyone give me a nutshell description of how Carlos was able to battle his way up to 14th? How was the race pace. I ended up turning off the box and went to sleep once the two cars got taken out.
According to the post-race data. Sainz was faster on pace compared to Ricciardo by nearly 8 seconds by the time the race was over. Considering the damage he sustained on the bargeboard area, that performance bodes well for the car's race pace.
He was on a one-stop whereas the rest had much fresher tyres.

langedweil

While they are nice sheets to look at, they only tell a partial story ofcourse.
First stint was compromised by the damage, therefor not a true comparison. Stint 2 Sainz seems to be really fast, but in a lot of free air and Ves perhaps saving tires/fuel. Hard to judge. But in all they certainly seemed to be on par with Renault. One cannot ignore the fact that Ricc was on a 1-stop strat, so he would have always been slower (hence the 8 secs).
So it's a bit apples & pears ...
But overall I have the feeling they will outdevelop Renault.
However, if Honda is able to develop faster and bring some more horses soon, it might even throw STR in the mix. The Faenza lads nurtured a pretty decent car that Albon seems to like.
Just fingers crossed for all McL fans the Renault PU gets a whole lot more reliable.
HuggaWugga !

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 19:27
That's a big if vs a car that's working and can be actively developed though, look what happened with Mclaren last year when they couldn't sort out the issues...
The two have different benchmarks. If Redbull had the Mcl34 chassis they'd still say they have an aero problem because they want to be at the top and one area of development could unlock that potential. Mcl33 had an aero flaw which made it 9th in terms of pace despite where Alonso dragged it. That's quite different from being 3rd.

PhillipM

Not really, if they have a correlation issue you need to get to the bottom of that before you can even start bringing updates and working on setup, it sets your program back a long way.

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 02:40
Not really, if they have a correlation issue you need to get to the bottom of that before you can even start bringing updates and working on setup, it sets your program back a long way.
I'd still bet on the horse that's won in the previous 9/10 seasons to fix a relatively much minor flaw. But maybe in the meantime Mclaren can outpace them in well-suited tracks. They have their own issues to solve as well.

M840TR

Norris: McLaren's Chinese GP race pace best outside F1's top three

"Seeing Carlos's pace, as he didn't have that much damage, it looked very good - better than the Renaults, better than pretty much anyone apart from the top three," Norris told Autosport.
"There was a lot of potential, which kind of makes it even worse that we had the result that we did, but we just need to move on to Baku."
"On Friday we were quite reasonable. We just didn't take a step forward on Saturday," he said.

"Not because we just didn't move forward as a team, I think we did make improvements, but our car package as a whole was limiting us too much and because of that we just couldn't move forward as much as we wanted to.

The team did a good job in terms of getting the most out of the car from what we could.

"We just didn't have the pace in qualifying, but in terms of the race pace you just never know if you're going to be amazing or terrible or what.

"But it was looking good. That's something we need to remember for the next few races: that possibly our race pace is a little bit better than our qualifying pace."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14278 ... ee--norris

NL_Fer

Haas and AR will get their faster pu, but nu in season development.

McLaren will keep improving the car, but Renault have not shown very good results from their B and C spec units. They make the best step each year with the Melbourne pu, maybe they can do better this year.

_cerber1

AZE

mclaren113

Guys what's your predictions for Baku? Will it be better than China for McLaren?

FittingMechanics

mclaren113 wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 09:33
Guys what's your predictions for Baku? Will it be better than China for McLaren?
In Gunther Steiner's words, it's hard to be worse. To be serious, yes, it will be better. Pace seemed to be decent in China, only hidden by bad qualifying and Lap 1 incidents.