General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Capharol

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

PhillipM wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 13:38
3 races in and Horner is pointing fingers at the engine already I see.
Maybe he ought to take a slice of the humble pie that they were laughing about Mclaren needing...
where does he point a finger towards Honda?

he just meant that if you wanna fight with Merc, they need more speed, but this was already known ....there is in my opinion no "pointing finger" to it

Marti_EF3

PhillipM wrote:
Maybe he ought to take a slice of the humble pie that they were laughing about Mclaren needing...
I don't see anything similar to Mclaren days. Even Honda is not the same now. They did some upgrades on the chassis, and Honda will do same with software and mapping, as already some media have said to come on Baku. I don't see anything negative, maybe some people want things come the same way it was with Mclaren or RBR with Renault. But that days will not come again with Honda

mzso

PhillipM wrote:
WTF are you talking about?
You're morbidly projecting your silly biases into an article that included nothing of the sort you claim. PS: they've been pointing the finger at themselves and the chassis.

PhillipM

I have no silly biases, last race it was "Engine is great, Honda have delivered more power than we were expecting, chassis is flawed" - this weekend he's saying the chassis is fixed but they're loosing too much time down the straights and it's not aero drag, it's the engine...

nzjrs

PhillipM wrote:
Umm, that's a stretch. I haven't seen anything that could be interpreted as such. Link please.

Wouter

PhillipM wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 14:29
I have no silly biases, last race it was "Engine is great, Honda have delivered more power than we were expecting, chassis is flawed" - this weekend he's saying the chassis is fixed but they're loosing too much time down the straights and it's not aero drag, it's the engine...
Horner said that the problems with the chassis they had in Bahrain were fixed and now they have to bring great upgrades to the chassis, so the car will become better and faster. He also said that the Honda engine was better on the staights now.

Do you have a link for your statement?
The Power of Dreams!

Marti_EF3

Red Bull boss Christian Horner thinks his team has got its chassis back on track judging by its pace at the Chinese Grand Prix, as he suggested the team's main deficit is now top speed.

After struggling to find a good balance with the car in the opening two grands prix of the season, a breakthrough in the post-Bahrain Grand Prix test helped the Milton Keynes-based outfit make progress in understanding where it had gone wrong before.

Having shown promising pace in Shanghai, as Max Verstappen split the Ferraris to take fourth place, Horner says the performance is proof of the progress the team has made in getting more from its car.

"Definitely," he said. "We have made a step forward from Bahrain and we were definitely more competitive this weekend.

"When you look on the overlays, particular sector one and sector two, we are in good shape. In sector three we still have some work to do, but we have some upgrades and so on coming soon that will help with that. So generally on that side, a positive weekend."

The reference to sector three in China, which includes the 1.2 kilometres long back straight, would appear to put the onus back on Red Bull's engine partner Honda to lift its game.

With rivals Ferrari and Mercedes having more aggressive engine modes to play with over a race weekend, Horner is hoping that gains will come on this front from Honda too.

"I think they are making progress with it," he said. "There is stuff in the pipeline that will certainly help but others aren't standing still.

"It is all about evolution. Our goal this year has been all about closing the gap to Mercedes and Ferrari and we are doing that.

"We split the Ferraris, and were certainly closer on pace to Mercedes. There will be a concertina effect that will happen between now and the halfway point of the year."

Despite being able to overhaul Charles Leclerc in China, Horner reckoned that the result was more down to clever strategy calls than the performance of its car.

"I don't think we had a faster car than Ferrari, so our best way of beating at least one of their cars was going on to the two-stop.

"That then sparked some discussion between Sebastian [Vettel] and his pit wall as to whether or not they were going to stop at all, but in the end they covered, and Mercedes had to cover him.

"Leclerc got hung out to dry a little bit. So for us, P4 was the maximum."
He don't say anything wrong with the PU. As I said, RBR bring some updates and turned the setup right, and now Honda will bring more power with the current spec PU at Baku. Nothing new, Honda and RBR itself always said that Honda needs work to do to catch Merc and Ferrari

ME4ME

PhillipM wrote:
I'm disappointed, wasn't expecting unfounded bs from you.

Reading what Horner actually said:
"When you look on the overlays, particular sector one and sector two, we are in good shape. In sector three we still have some work to do, but we have some upgrades and so on coming soon that will help with that. So generally on that side, a positive weekend."
Horner does not mention drag. He does not mention power. He does not target either the chassis or PU individually. He uses the term we, as in Red Bull Honda as a collective.

Don't try to create friction where there isn't any.

SmallSoldier

ME4ME wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
I'm disappointed, wasn't expecting unfounded bs from you.

Reading what Horner actually said:
Horner does not mention drag. He does not mention power. He does not target either the chassis or PU individually. He uses the term we, as in Red Bull Honda as a collective.

Don't try to create friction where there isn't any.
So when he mentions that they are lacking on the “power sensitive” part of the circuit... He isn’t making a reference to the engine? Lol... And yes, he is using “we”, but it’s clear what he is talking about... But hey, it’s your bubble, you are free to live in it :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honda certainly has work to do, but the fact that RB has stated the chassis has issues putting the power down in low speed corners, such as turn 14, kinda suggests both sides have work to do.

Until someone in RB flat out says Honda is the reason they aren't winning there is nothing to see here.

Bill

In sector 3 Ferrari was losing 0.2 tenth to Mercedes redbull 0.4 does that imply that Mercedes have more power than Ferrari.Horner is insinuating that the pu is holding them back whats up with this talk of overlaying data it has echoes of what mclaren used to say about Honda.Marko said they were carrying small rear wing in Australia but traditionally redbull always ran swallow wing and still be competitive I can assume so called fixes are just big rear wing and is costing them in the straight

restless

In Australia and bahrein RB had something messed in the chassis, which was fixed in China
So hopefully in Baku they will make a step ahead

Wouter

1158 wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 04:48
Honda certainly has work to do, but the fact that RB has stated the chassis has issues putting the power down in low speed corners, such as turn 14, kinda suggests both sides have work to do.

Until someone in RB flat out says Honda is the reason they aren't winning there is nothing to see here.
A lot has to be done about the chassis now that they are running a Honda engine. For instance:
The less good starts from Max is due to the rear wheel suspension. If suddenly a lot of power is released, the rear wheels start to bounce quite a bit. So they have to change that rear wheel suspension slightly. Honda has nothing to do with this.
The car needs more DF and especially at the rear.
RBR needs to get used to the fact that they finally have a strong, reliable engine and that requires changes to the chassis.
The engine is too strong for their design. \:D/ :D
The Power of Dreams!

yener

Wouter wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 09:48
1158 wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 04:48

A lot has to be done about the chassis now that they are running a Honda engine. For instance:
The less good starts from Max is due to the rear wheel suspension. If suddenly a lot of power is released, the rear wheels start to bounce quite a bit. So they have to change that rear wheel suspension slightly. Honda has nothing to do with this.
The car needs more DF and especially at the rear.
RBR needs to get used to the fact that they finally have a strong, reliable engine and that requires changes to the chassis.
The engine is too strong for their design. \:D/ :D
If the driveablility sucks and the engine peak is at low RPM, it has nothing to do with the mechanical grip, but the PU is the one who causes the spin :P . Not saying it is the cause right now, but just to let you know its both possible.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Bill

Str are doing just fine with Honda pu Redbull has acknowledged chassis shortcomings so they is no room for speculations