2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Maplesoup

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Bill wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 08:50
Can this gp acceleration graph give accurate readings if a team like redbull wheel spins and can't put the power down correctly because of poor traction
you can usually match up it up against a throttle application graph and see how much they are pressing the pedal vs how much they are getting from the car. That would probably be your best bet, however wheel spin is also caused by cold or worn out tires that have lost their grip, not just a car setup that can't get enough power to the ground. So any analyse would be a little misleading.

ispano6

Max Verstappen "Honda's F1 engine has improved start" (of the season)
Red Bull Honda Max Verstappen said he was not satisfied with the start of the season and hoped that Honda would improve F1 engine
performance at the start of the final.

Max Verstappen raced a wheel-to-wheel battle betting third place with Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel at the F1 China Grand Prix, undercutting Charles Leclerc and finishing in the fourth place.

Max Verstappen is happy that he has scored many points but is still dissatisfied with the Red Bull RB15's performance.

"I was able to leave a good result in terms of points, but there was not much action during the race," Max Verstappen commented on Ziggo Sport .

"It's a bit extreme to say that it's frustrating, but at the moment there isn't enough race space and we need to get as many points as possible.

"I hope to get involved"

last year, Max Verstappen earned a position at the start, but this year it has not reached that level and thinks that it is an area that Honda needs to improve.

"So far, we haven't got a decent start," commented Max Verstappen.

"I'm still trying to find a good start with Honda engines. That's where we can improve."

Asked about the prospects of the Azerbaijan GP next round, Max Verstappen admits he does not know what to expect.

"I think Baku will have new parts in the machine and engine. The bigger steps will be a little later," commented Max Verstappen.

"It's hard to say at the moment. I think it's really hard to judge the season right now."

"This week Mercedes was fast and last week it was Ferrari. For us we have a little question mark."
https://f1-gate.com/verstappen/f1_48691.html

langedweil

ispano6 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 16:34
Red Bull Honda Max Verstappen said he was not satisfied with the start of the season and hoped that Honda would improve F1 engine
performance at the start of the final.

Max Verstappen raced a wheel-to-wheel battle betting third place with Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel at the F1 China Grand Prix, undercutting Charles Leclerc and finishing in the fourth place.

Max Verstappen is happy that he has scored many points but is still dissatisfied with the Red Bull RB15's performance.

"I was able to leave a good result in terms of points, but there was not much action during the race," Max Verstappen commented on Ziggo Sport .

"It's a bit extreme to say that it's frustrating, but at the moment there isn't enough race space and we need to get as many points as possible.

"I hope to get involved"

last year, Max Verstappen earned a position at the start, but this year it has not reached that level and thinks that it is an area that Honda needs to improve.

"So far, we haven't got a decent start," commented Max Verstappen.

"I'm still trying to find a good start with Honda engines. That's where we can improve."

Asked about the prospects of the Azerbaijan GP next round, Max Verstappen admits he does not know what to expect.

"I think Baku will have new parts in the machine and engine. The bigger steps will be a little later," commented Max Verstappen.

"It's hard to say at the moment. I think it's really hard to judge the season right now."

"This week Mercedes was fast and last week it was Ferrari. For us we have a little question mark."
That reads like a japanese translation ..
HuggaWugga !

ispano6

langedweil wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 17:17
ispano6 wrote:
Yes, sorry it's the google chrome auto translate on the Japanese website. I fixed most of the obvious misspellings but did not correct the "lost in translation" or diction. But basically Honda needs more performance and both chassis and engine should see some developments but nothing major for Baku. It's good Max is calling out the obvious issue he's been having which has been the starts so hopefully the engineers and him can work on getting it right and practicing it more. Bottas and Hamilton both put the start as the reason for winning their respective races when they are in clean air (clean/dirty side of the track might play a role too) and while it may be difficult for Max to find clean air battling up front if a gap to the front two opens up enough to avoid dirty air then he might be able to keep 3rd position if he can take it from the Ferraris.

In China the two stop undercut worked against Leclerc and for Baku I feel the overcut strategy (and by a long shot) would be the best based on multiple simulations. This was Bottas strategy last year and he could have had the win.
The overcut strategy has merit in Baku for a number of reasons so it will be interesting to see which teams and drivers will try. It could lead to a lonely race until the end when the chasing pack on fresher tires catches up. Safety car would throw everything into the mix, obviously, and let's hope the Bulls don't collide this year.

langedweil

Agree .. especially with that last bit
:)
HuggaWugga !

Ground Effect

ispano6 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 18:21
langedweil wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 17:17
ispano6 wrote:

Yes, sorry it's the google chrome auto translate on the Japanese website. I fixed most of the obvious misspellings but did not correct the "lost in translation" or diction. But basically Honda needs more performance and both chassis and engine should see some developments but nothing major for Baku. It's good Max is calling out the obvious issue he's been having which has been the starts so hopefully the engineers and him can work on getting it right and practicing it more. Bottas and Hamilton both put the start as the reason for winning their respective races when they are in clean air (clean/dirty side of the track might play a role too) and while it may be difficult for Max to find clean air battling up front if a gap to the front two opens up enough to avoid dirty air then he might be able to keep 3rd position if he can take it from the Ferraris.

In China the two stop undercut worked against Leclerc and for Baku I feel the overcut strategy (and by a long shot) would be the best based on multiple simulations. This was Bottas strategy last year and he could have had the win.
The overcut strategy has merit in Baku for a number of reasons so it will be interesting to see which teams and drivers will try. It could lead to a lonely race until the end when the chasing pack on fresher tires catches up. Safety car would throw everything into the mix, obviously, and let's hope the Bulls don't collide this year.
For them to collide, Gasly would first have to be close to Max.. :P Meaning they just have to avoid first lap contact. In all seriousness, I do feel for Gasly, Max is possibly the worst team mate to have in terms of trying to match performance, even more than Hamilton I suppose. Max is getting the maximum out of that Red Bull currently, it's amazing to watch. Hopefully, Gasly will come good, but getting within 2 tenths of Max in qualifying..... I wish him luck.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Datco

It seems odd that they will take a new PU in Baku this early when the current PU has shown no signs of issues. They say 20hp more but will it really make such a big difference that they will sacrifice a penalty later on in the season, especially this year now that the mid field has closed in that will make it more difficult to move through the pack. I hope it's because they already tested it with STR in China and they saw better drivabilty that will also help with corner exit and the packaging will also help with Aero development. If it's just hp it's kind of a waste if they are struggling to put the power down. At the same time the reports may just be lost in translation and it's just a fuel upgrade.

There is no mention of a new PU. It could very well be a combination of new fuel, mapping, or hardware not restricted to the usage rules.

etusch

Nothing wrong to get new updated engine before baku.
They still return this engine for less power sensitive tracks or can use it as fp1-2 Engine.
They can see how update works by having it baku with its long straights.
They will have more optimisation on the new engine before the monaco which they can win

Marti_EF3

I think they will update software, mapping and non-penalty related hardware. At the moment, no one have said it will be a new unit, but to extract full potential of current spec. Maybe because they were cautious the first races, maybe because they keep learning about how better map the PU to match the car. Or just now they know how to improve changing few things that already were on the pipeline without penalty. We will know more at race weekend. For now, all is speculation

McMika98

Baku is looking like its going to be a cold weekend with teams struggling with tyres. Horner is already lining up excuses for the car and Gasly. I expect the Toro Rosso to outqualify Gasly's RedBull and maybe even give Max a hardtime. They still seem to struggle with tyre temp and behaviour.

Capharol

McMika98 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 22:40
Baku is looking like its going to be a cold weekend with teams struggling with tyres. Horner is already lining up excuses for the car and Gasly. I expect the Toro Rosso to outqualify Gasly's RedBull and maybe even give Max a hardtime. They still seem to struggle with tyre temp and behaviour.
You really trying to compare Barcelona testing with Baku race weekend with a time between it of 2 months and 3 races?

Marti_EF3

McMika98 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 22:40
I don't think so. They seem to be on the right direction of setup since Bahréin tests, and they keep bringing small updates. If the Honda update also improves driveability more and the starts (what Max said) it will be OK. But forget to fight with Merc and Ferrari on pure pace, maybe with strategy

McMika98

Weather forecast is for max temp in day of 17C and the race and quali are oddly at evening with temps dropping to below 15C. This will play havoc for all teams but especially to those struggling with traction and not having confidence on throttle after cornering. Still think Redbull have a lot more to find in their setup for low to medium corners.
The Mclarens will be a force to watch out for as well.

Wouter

A positive and realistic Max. He was today in the Netherlands and gave an interview:

"I am now mainly limiting damage by scoring as many points as possible. That I am third is pretty good. Even better than what is normally realistic. I am happy with that, but we have to get closer to Ferrari and Mercedes. "

"Of course we are not yet where we want to be, but that was not to be expected. Honda needs time and we need new parts quickly. And about thirty horsepower. But I am confident. It would be wrong after three races of the fight to give up already. "

"We are closer anyway than last season. And there is still a lot of time gain in a new front wing. Of course the other teams are not standing still, but I think we have more potential to make progress."

"Everyone knows that we are not at Ferrari and Mercedes level . I understand that people think that sounds the same as in recent years, but there is now a plan behind it."

"A new update is coming and we are taking small steps. Honda is working extremely hard in the background to deliver more power, but that is enormously complex. An engine must also be reliable. If it were easy, everyone would have done it."

"The team must make the car even better. We still have too little grip, both in front and behind. We have to take steps there."

"They [Honda] have had a very tough time, but have now taken the right path. That motivates me too. There is enough money, there are enough parts, there are good people and there is a good plan."

"They only have to focus on two teams, which also have the same owner: Red Bull and Toro Rosso. Very well organized."

"It is nice to work with Japanese people. They are calm and focused. If I report a problem, they solve it quickly on the test bench in Japan. It is very well organized. You can see that even in the details, such as plugs that fit seamlessly together. "
The Power of Dreams!