2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Singabule wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 10:18
After destroying 1 chassis and several wings and floor, i worry the development will be nowhere compared to other midfield team. Also from PU side, expect several time penalties. However at least they have 2 good driver, but Dani is prone to mistake and Albon is still very green, so I think STR can not go higher than 8th in championship. Hope Im wrong
I suspect they will be used to trial any 'engine improvements' before using them in the boss team, which is good for position, but involves the risk if Honda go to the edge knowing it is being tried in STR first.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

With google translate.
Honda must also quickly investigate the cause of the trouble that occurred in the power unit of Toro Rosso's Daneil Kubiat car during free practice on Friday.

It is said that an abnormal sensor value was detected in the data and it was replaced, but it is known that "the level is not sufficient for simple sensor replacement" (Tanabe Technical Director) and that major components are damaged. It seems that you are understand.

Although the power unit was removed from the machine and maintained on Friday afternoon, it will be on Wednesday for arrival at HRD Sakura due to customs clearance. The next week, Tuesday morning, the next Baku will have to bring the power unit to London's airport, so there will be virtually no days available for action.
https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... ndex_4.php
The Power of Dreams!

McMika98

According to multiple trackside accounts the engine did go puff, Mark Hughes is one of them. Hopefully they can still recover other components but the main engine appears to have gone kaput.

About Baku, the track might suit the car lot more if they can extract most out of the tyres. Havent got the full telemetry data but the car appears to be faster than RedBull on slow corners and much better on straights.

HondaPOD

McMika98 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 22:43
According to multiple trackside accounts the engine did go puff, Mark Hughes is one of them. Hopefully they can still recover other components but the main engine appears to have gone kaput.

About Baku, the track might suit the car lot more if they can extract most out of the tyres. Havent got the full telemetry data but the car appears to be faster than RedBull on slow corners and much better on straights.
I just watched the FP1 onboard camera. In fact, we can hear an awful noise coming from the PU, that means problem with the PU. Kvyat starts to lose power in the straight. The pit wall ask him to return back to the pit the lap after.
Maybe not ended yet. it can be injectors problems.

I was watching and noticed that sound too, but then in the race it sounded the same. Almost like the microphone on the car was messed up. It sounded a lot rougher and more broken up than it should. It was really weird.

GhostF1

They mention it being a sensor providing a strange value. They had sensor issues in practice for Australia on Gasly's car. He reported losing power and he came into the pits. They changed the sensor and the engine was fine for the rest of the weekend, and he is still using that PU.
That article sounds like Tanabe is implying Kvyat had the same issue (sensor showing a strange value) but he drove with the issue for too long and possibly caused terminal damage.
If it's traceable to a sensor that isn't the worst scenario. Although, I guess a failure is a failure and if that happened during the race, it would be race ending.

As for which sensors cop a lot of abuse where they can fail.. possibly a combustion chamber pressure sensor?

Big Tea

There are of course sensors that just report value, and sensors that act on the information received.
Bad input from a sensor can really screw things up even if there is no actual damage.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

loner

so more 20 hp in Baku and rumor is another 30 hp in the first PU upgrade.. if true bode well for my prediction that STR will be best of the rest .. Albon did decent show already in china.
para bellum.

McMika98

Toro rosso should do very well in Baku if they can get the tyres working. High hopes for a massive points haul.

Wouter

A great analysis from Joylon Palmer of the Kvyat vs McLaren crash.

The Power of Dreams!

etusch

ispano6

Wouter wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 21:22
A great analysis from Joylon Palmer of the Kvyat vs McLaren crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlWx91r ... r_embedded
Yup, just as I thought as well. I find it pretty knee jerk of the F1 stewards to so quickly take two penalty points from Kvyat's license. He wasn't even being the overly aggressive one in this incident, that was the McLaren boys, but I guess in the end they all paid for it with STR coming out on top with Albons superb drive.

ME4ME

etusch wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 19:33
https://youtu.be/szlbHEK8Ook
Mission helpnow like someone said in the comments :lol:
Respect to Seb and the team for this though. Very classy.

Sieper

Allthough it was Seb himself who simply drove passed the mandatory weighing and had to be pushed back by his pitcrew. The STR had to stand still waiting his turn very long due to that. As a consequence due to no fault of of his own his brakes Caught fire.

Wouter

Albon and Kvyat will get a 3th ICE in Baku.

This weekend, we will introduce the Spec 2 version of our internal combustion engine (ICE) across all four cars right from the start of the weekend. One of the reasons for bringing it to this race is that we found that Kvyat’s PU problem in China was down to a quality control issue. The main benefits of Spec 2 are improved durability and life and better reliability. It also offers a slight improvement in performance.
https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/statu ... 8330317824
The Power of Dreams!