2019 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NL_Fer

Re: 2019 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 12-14

In remember they did head2head video’s of nummer 1 and 2. With a graphic car next to the video showing where one is losing it and where he gains.

Often you would see Vettel wining coming out of slow corners and Hamilton gaining going into 240+ corners.

e30ernest

They did that for the Chinese GP too but with Hamilton and Bottas.

NathanOlder

Schuttelberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 14:33
Phil wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 03:33
foxmulder_ms wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 00:50
I didnt see this discussed: Kvyat's penalty. I found it really unfair. If anything, Sainz initiated everything. .. :|
I see the issue more with Norris who was off the track and came back on and sandwiched Sainz who was adapting to Kvyat slightly understeering...
Pretty much a penalty mated out on the basis of reputation in my book.
Norris was nearly a full car in front of Sainz , Plus Im not sure Norris even leaves the track at any point , theres certainly no clear gap between his wheel and the white line other than after the contact. It was clearly Kvyat's line that crossed Sainz's line very hard due to his oversteer and Sainz moved as far left as possible and clipped Lando , rotating Lando to the right and then contact woth Kvyat.

I'm 100% saying its a racing incident and nothing more, no one deserved a penalty, its Lap 1, the 2nd proper braking zone, 20 cars bunched up, these things happen. Kvyat was hard done by, but he was the one that started the chain of events.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Andres125sx

henry wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 14:51
Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 10:27
Interesting comparison of lines through the first few corners. Vettel goes wider and sacrifices a little entry speed in to the tight section but it gives him a better line out so he pulls away on the next straight. Max takes the classical line and is quicker in the corners but loses out on the exit before the straight. Nice to see these little differences.
Some years ago the broadcasters had access to ghost overlays showing two cars through the same corner. The first time I saw it Hamilton braked later than the comparison car and for a very brief moment I thought they had collided. It was an excellent way to see the differences in car performance and driver styles. After a few showings they dropped it. I imagine that now the technology has moved on so much that they could do a full lap comparison, I wish they would.
In RB air race they do it for the full lap with a budget wich must be a small fraction of F1 budget

Also, I think that must be a lot more difficult to do in the air than it is on the ground with fixed references, but sincerely I´ve never understood how that works and I´m very curious

PlatinumZealot

F1 is so boring these days. I really haven't had a heated race thread argument in years!

It is that the Lewis Mercedes dynasty has really turned like the Michael Ferrari one?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 14:33
It is that the Lewis Mercedes dynasty has really turned like the Michael Ferrari one?
Yes, except Lewis's team mate is allowed to race him and not contractually obliged to pull over...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

WaikeCU

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 14:49
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Yes, except Lewis's team mate is allowed to race him and not contractually obliged to pull over...
Let's wait for that. :mrgreen:

Dazed1

WaikeCU wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 15:10
Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Team orders are not unlike an undercut when it comes to strategy. If one team does it the other must follow suit or give up an advantage in the WDC. It seemed to matter less to Mercedes when they were more dominant, but last season they 'imbibed' to keep a balance against Ferrari's use of them. All IMHO.

dtro

PlatinumZealot wrote:
F1 is so boring these days. I really haven't had a heated race thread argument in years!

Is it wrong I’m half hoping for something as chaotic as the last couple of years in Baku?

PlatinumZealot

dtro wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 16:33
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Is it wrong I’m half hoping for something as chaotic as the last couple of years in Baku?
Nope. Same here but fully hoping!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Harvester

PlatinumZealot wrote:

I really hope ferrari can challenge mercedes. Last year it was very interesting when ferrari had upper hand first part of the season. Mercedes suddenly changes their narrative. These polite guys suddenly become nervous and just complain about others cheating.

Edax

NathanOlder wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 09:56
Schuttelberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 14:33
Phil wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 03:33

I see the issue more with Norris who was off the track and came back on and sandwiched Sainz who was adapting to Kvyat slightly understeering...
Pretty much a penalty mated out on the basis of reputation in my book.
Norris was nearly a full car in front of Sainz , Plus Im not sure Norris even leaves the track at any point , theres certainly no clear gap between his wheel and the white line other than after the contact. It was clearly Kvyat's line that crossed Sainz's line very hard due to his oversteer and Sainz moved as far left as possible and clipped Lando , rotating Lando to the right and then contact woth Kvyat.

I'm 100% saying its a racing incident and nothing more, no one deserved a penalty, its Lap 1, the 2nd proper braking zone, 20 cars bunched up, these things happen. Kvyat was hard done by, but he was the one that started the chain of events.
Actually I think it started when Norris outbraked himself and presented a sudden opportunity for Kvyat and Sainz to pass him. The accident happened because no one was prepared to yield.

Yes Kvyat he was too hot on entry but on the other hand Sainz should have figured that that gap was always going to disappear. To pass two cars in a corner by going for the gap in between is ambitious to say the least. Norris might have just left the track, or not ( hard to tell) but he did lose a lot of speed, and was not in a position where he safely could move back.

As you say these things happen in the first lap on cold tires. Certainly when you have drivers who have a lot to prove. Maybe more experenced drivers would have cut their losses earlier and come out better. But for me it is just a race incident, and I agree the penalty is harsh.

Just_a_fan

WaikeCU wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Er, you have watched this season so far, yes? Lewis's team mate won the first race. Wasn't required to step aside and let him though. So that'll be that covered then. Moving on. :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

sosic2121

Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 01:17
WaikeCU wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Er, you have watched this season so far, yes? Lewis's team mate won the first race. Wasn't required to step aside and let him though. So that'll be that covered then. Moving on. :roll:
Your argument is invalid. Simple fact is Ham was too slow to win, just like Vet was in Bahrain.

I don't mind that Bot is a no2 driver, you should neither.

NathanOlder

So Valterri waved Lewis by in Bahrain.....
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC