Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Nonserviam85

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Polite wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 16:57
hi,

rumors from Italian press: recalled Giovinazzi in GES as developer and sim driver.

Looks like wehrlein is not enought!
Wehrlein is not at top level providing feedback and developing the car, Kvyat was doing a very good job last year. I already mentioned that on the team thread a while ago...

Zynerji

Nonserviam85 wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 00:32
Polite wrote:
hi,

rumors from Italian press: recalled Giovinazzi in GES as developer and sim driver.

Wehrlein is not at top level providing feedback and developing the car, Kvyat was doing a very good job last year. I already mentioned that on the team thread a while ago...
Agreed. Kvyat seems to have been the part of the secret sauce over the last 2 years for Ferrari...

Sharnlarry

I think you guys are forgetting that Alfa Romeo Sauber don’t have a simulator so they share the same sim as Ferrari.

Ringleheim

If Ferrari are to introduce an all new rear wing at Barcelona, let's hope it works and works well.
I wouldn't be surprised to see that combined with a new front wing concept as well.

[-o<

Those last few photos posted in this thread are great, showing the guts of the car. I still can't get used to this new paint. The color and the "flatness" of it are terrible.

:cry:

zibby43

"Ferrari has under-delivered"

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... -delivered

Mark Hughes' analysis of Ferrari thus far. Very detailed and interesting article.

One of the main points is that the Ferrari front end is poor - an attribute that contributed to Ferrari getting outpaced in both Melbourne and Shanghai.

Furthermore, the Ferrari didn't perform amazingly in Bahrain. It was more a case of 1) Mercedes not performing well there at all (it has struggled there historically) and 2) front end performance is almost irrelevant in Bahrain because of how teams have to dial understeer into the setup to protect the rear tires at one of the biggest outlier circuits on the calendar in terms of rear tire wear.

Accordingly, Ferrari's front end imbalance wasn't exposed in Bahrain as others had to compromise their quali setups as well (to protect the rears for the race).
Last edited by zibby43 on 19 Apr 2019, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 01:16
Nonserviam85 wrote:
Polite wrote:
hi,

Agreed. Kvyat seems to have been the part of the secret sauce over the last 2 years for Ferrari...

Its amazing the difference a 'reset game' button makes :mrgreen:

Seriously, I like him but he does not seem to consider having damaged parts in a race.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mclaren111

Big Tea wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 21:15
Zynerji wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 01:16
Nonserviam85 wrote:

Its amazing the difference a 'reset game' button makes :mrgreen:

Seriously, I like him but he does not seem to consider having damaged parts in a race.

Clearly Torpedo Kvyat still drives as if he's in the simulator... :( :(

dfegan358

Any updates planned for the car for Baku?

Seems the low speed corner deficit is down to aero combined with tyre management and maybe some suspension set up ?

Ferrari need a win here big time

MtthsMlw

dfegan358 wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 16:32
Any updates planned for the car for Baku?

Seems the low speed corner deficit is down to aero combined with tyre management and maybe some suspension set up ?

Ferrari need a win here big time
According to Leo Turrini they're bringing parts of the planned Barcelona Update already. At least a lower DF/drag RW I guess.

LM10

I think the main problem Ferrari seems to have is the set up of the car. Their new hydraulic suspension system which Mercedes and Red Bull have had for years now, needs to be learned first.

Vettel told that the car is very fast at times and then there are times it just isn’t in the window.
In Barcelona testing the SF90 was a very fast and stable car out of the box. Both drivers were entirely happy. Come other track, it’s a completely new adventure.
Binotto told right after testing that they would have needed more time and they didn’t feel prepared for Melbourne.

I don’t think they went a wrong aero concept or whatever has been told by Rosberg. It feels like a no brainer that their front wing produces less downforce looking at it’s design. I don’t think Ferrari is surprised, they must have known that before.

Mercedes was the diva, now it’s the Ferrari.

dfegan358

I would be hopeful that this track should suit the Ferrari better than Shanghai.

A front row lockout would be a huge help to control the race. Seems we have been lacking in race strategy and race pace and tyre longevity v merc.

Another merc 1-2 would be a long road back

Tzk
Tzk

I still wonder if the ferrari frontwing is giving them a great efficiency at the cost of total downforce. So basically a mid-df low drag concept.

zibby43

Tzk wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 22:20
I still wonder if the ferrari frontwing is giving them a great efficiency at the cost of total downforce. So basically a mid-df low drag concept.
The article I linked above discusses the front end of the Ferrari (in depth).

zibby43

LM10 wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 18:24
I don’t think they went a wrong aero concept or whatever has been told by Rosberg. It feels like a no brainer that their front wing produces less downforce looking at it’s design. I don’t think Ferrari is surprised, they must have known that before.
It's going to come down to development potential. Throughout the year, at the majority of circuits, the teams will be adding downforce to their cars.

To be fast and efficient, you have to balance out the car's downforce levels at the front and rear. Ferrari will have to decide whether they'll be able to develop the front end adequately with their existing concept. It's an important decision because the FW affects so many aerodynamic components downstream.

In China, Ferrari had to run a larger rear wing (they didn't run the lower-downforce, "spoon wing") to try to claw back some laptime in the corners. The spoon rear wing with less downforce was creating a better balanced car, and they were a bit quicker on the straights, but they were losing too much time in the corners.

"[T]he low downforce rear wing which gave the car a better balance was just way too far out of the car’s aero efficiency range to give a good lap time. It gave a balance only by being down on grip at both ends, but didn’t give enough extra straight-line speed in to overcome that in terms of lap time. So here was Ferrari stretching right into the inefficient part of its aero map – a part where ordinarily it wouldn’t dream of running – just to try to get a balance." (Mark Hughes)

I'm interested to see if Ferrari runs the spoon RW at Baku. They're going to be rapid in the final sector.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 22:50
I'm interested to see if Ferrari runs the spoon RW at Baku. They're going to be rapid in the final sector.
Yep, but I question how much they will pay for that in the first 2 sectors.
197 104 103 7