2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mmred

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

NoDivergence wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 06:11
mmred wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 09:23
NoDivergence wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 07:28
I happen to be an aero engineer too. Want to see how well FSAE cars do without aero? All they do is under 90 kph.

funny cause most of fsae dont even have a diffuser or wings ( they are in pre 60 era of f1 )
or are walls

but it s a the usual useless false dichotomy to prove an unprovable point: who said without aero?
it s that the aero performance is less important compared to the other factors.
aero importance grows qith the square of the speed, so you can deduce how much importance is in the field

of course they try to squeeze every downforce they can in f1 but different speeds different quests
When was the last time you looked at FSAE? The top teams all run lots and lots of wings, diffusers, converging diverging floors, etc. The whole shebang. Aero performance is worth enough that no team wins without significant aero. Teams with lesser aero get crushed by teams like Stuttgart, Minash, Michigan, etc .

This car is one that makes around 220 lbf of downforce at 60 mph.
https://www.racecar-engineering.com/art ... ynamics/2/

These cars are making over 340-440 lbf at similar or lower speeds
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... s_getting/

That's a 14% increase in grip considering F1 minimum weights... That is significant
significant
but insignificant compared to the higher speed relevance

Mach

Re: 2019 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Are Mercedes really that good? Or was Ferrari overrated during preseason?

Once again, Mercedes have insignificant engine issues compared to lack of power and durability with Ferrari, Renault and Honda.

I wonder if combined Ferrari, Renault and Honda resources could compete with Mercedes :roll:

I'm just pissed because F1 fans will once again be unentertained and unamused of an uncompetitive season because Ferrari, Renault and Honda can't get it tight :evil:

LM10

Mach wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 04:07

Once again, Mercedes have insignificant engine issues compared to lack of power and durability with Ferrari, Renault and Honda.

I wonder if combined Ferrari, Renault and Honda resources could compete with Mercedes :roll:

I'm just pissed because F1 fans will once again be unentertained and unamused of an uncompetitive season because Ferrari, Renault and Honda can't get it tight :evil:
We've not seen a Ferrari on top of their car, yet. They've had issues of some kind every weekend. They were happy with the car in testing, but that was just one track of many. Vettel has not had confidence in the SF90 since then anymore (Leclerc had it in Bahrain), but told that they keep on understanding and addressing the problems.

It's funny Mark Hughes tells that Bahrain was an outlier because Mercedes was on the backfoot there, but at the same time takes the Melbourne performance of Ferrari for granted and uses the time difference to draw conclusions regarding performance.

Mach

LM10 wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 09:51
Mach wrote:

We've not seen a Ferrari on top of their car, yet. They've had issues of some kind every weekend. They were happy with the car in testing, but that was just one track of many. Vettel has not had confidence in the SF90 since then anymore (Leclerc had it in Bahrain), but told that they keep on understanding and addressing the problems.

It's funny Mark Hughes tells that Bahrain was an outlier because Mercedes was on the backfoot there, but at the same time takes the Melbourne performance of Ferrari for granted and uses the time difference to draw conclusions regarding performance.
I guess Mark.H makes sense considering preseason Honda and Renault were under-performing, and still are, and Ferrari as the lead role of best of the rest.
Mercedes preseason testing was to ensure reliability. Their package was spot on right out of the box,

dans79

LM10 wrote:
The team has a problem though, the longer it takes them to get on top of their car, the longer it gives their competition to make updates to minimize of even reverse the advantage Ferrari once had.
197 104 103 7

LM10

Mach wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 14:13
LM10 wrote:
Mach wrote:

I guess Mark.H makes sense considering preseason Honda and Renault were under-performing, and still are, and Ferrari as the lead role of best of the rest.
Mercedes preseason testing was to ensure reliability. Their package was spot on right out of the box,
I don't even know what Honda and Renault have anything to do with what Mark was talking about and what I was referring to. Your second sentence is out of context as well.

dtro

Mach wrote:

To the extent I feel like you're asking rhetorical questions, this response may be irrelevant. Beyond that:

I think the short answer is yes, Mercedes is really as good as they are. You don't win ten championships on the trot if you're not good.

Ferrari probably had a car to win maybe two of those ten championships in the last few years, but as you probably know operational and strategic errors have prevented that from happening. (Doesn't make it unexciting).

As to your last point, you're not entertained, okay. Sure there are "snore-fests" of races pretty much every year, but realistically I'm as entertained with a race where everyone finishes in the same position as a race where we see tons of overtakes and so on.

To give an example in other realms, you have the Viper who dominates in AoE2, but people still watch games of "worse" players because the game in and of itself is interesting.

Maybz watch some Michael Bay films?

2 cents deposited.

Capharol

dtro wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 21:48
Mach wrote:

To the extent I feel like you're asking rhetorical questions, this response may be irrelevant. Beyond that:

I think the short answer is yes, Mercedes is really as good as they are. You don't win ten championships on the trot if you're not good.

Ferrari probably had a car to win maybe two of those ten championships in the last few years, but as you probably know operational and strategic errors have prevented that from happening. (Doesn't make it unexciting).

As to your last point, you're not entertained, okay. Sure there are "snore-fests" of races pretty much every year, but realistically I'm as entertained with a race where everyone finishes in the same position as a race where we see tons of overtakes and so on.

To give an example in other realms, you have the Viper who dominates in AoE2, but people still watch games of "worse" players because the game in and of itself is interesting.

2 cents deposited.
and don't forget, the French football league is boring aswell or La Liga

Mach

dtro wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 21:48
Mach wrote:

2 cents deposited.
Yes, I am still watching...but anticipate Mercedes to have countermeasures to all rival tactics. Rival teams may in turn implement lower probability strategies....or settle to remain in the midfield.

Capharol

Laptimes VET & LEC FP2

f1316

I still think Ferrari will be proven to have had the fastest car this weekend, with a combo of slipstream and colder conditions (plus Leclerc’s crash) affecting their qualifying pace.

If so - and we’ll see - that would mean 2/4 races where they were fastest - if indeed they’re still not on top of their car then still being fastest half the time is pretty good!

The problem though is the same as last two years: fast car but combination of bad track operations and, imo, drivers who far less frequently perform exceptional qualifying laps than the competition, are making the difference.

erikejw

LeClers shows great promise but is very error prone,just like Verstappen was first years. Leclercs race craft last year was very inconsistent too.

Give him 2 years and he'll learned his lessons. In a Ferrari every mistake will hit the headlines, he'll handle that, will the team ,Tifosi and press?

Kimi was slower but rock stable consistent(9 out of 11 podiums from season start 2018 remiving mechanical failure races) , in the long run Leclerc is the right bet for Ferrari, they need speed to counteract the Mercs, push the development and everything for speed, as they do.

Its easier to make a fast car/driver reliable and consistent than a slow car/consistent driver lightning quick.

Ferrari is very good in all aspects, their unfortune is that Mercedes is marginally better everywhere, and winning is what counts.

selvam_e2002

erikejw wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 10:36
LeClers shows great promise but is very error prone,just like Verstappen was first years. Leclercs race craft last year was very inconsistent too.

Give him 2 years and he'll learned his lessons. In a Ferrari every mistake will hit the headlines, he'll handle that, will the team ,Tifosi and press?

Kimi was slower but rock stable consistent(9 out of 11 podiums from season start 2018 remiving mechanical failure races) , in the long run Leclerc is the right bet for Ferrari, they need speed to counteract the Mercs, push the development and everything for speed, as they do.

Its easier to make a fast car/driver reliable and consistent than a slow car/consistent driver lightning quick.

Ferrari is very good in all aspects, their unfortune is that Mercedes is marginally better everywhere, and winning is what counts.
I agree with you 100%. Lecrec should be in ferrari sister team for another 2 years with Kimi before moving to Ferrari. Now Ferrari paying for it.

Second, Vettel is not good shape atall. He is not driving very well compared to last year.

The current issue with Ferrari is: 1. Rookie driver Lecrec with no adequate experience moved to Ferrari very quickly. Prone to error and it is costing ferrari. 2. Vettel is not top of his game atall. 3. Ferrari Team also making there mistakes.

The all above 3 point costing there chances for WDC and WCC.

In my opinion it will take another 3 years to mature Lecrec in Ferrari but will they wait for it? No...

Better bring back Alonso for 1 year and if he performs well add one more year in his contract to get WDC and WCC. Lecrec also get some experience with him.

Otherwise, no chance they will win for next 3 to 4 years.

Redragon

selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 19:38
erikejw wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 10:36

I agree with you 100%. Lecrec should be in ferrari sister team for another 2 years with Kimi before moving to Ferrari. Now Ferrari paying for it.

Second, Vettel is not good shape atall. He is not driving very well compared to last year.

The current issue with Ferrari is: 1. Rookie driver Lecrec with no adequate experience moved to Ferrari very quickly. Prone to error and it is costing ferrari. 2. Vettel is not top of his game atall. 3. Ferrari Team also making there mistakes.

The all above 3 point costing there chances for WDC and WCC.

In my opinion it will take another 3 years to mature Lecrec in Ferrari but will they wait for it? No...

Better bring back Alonso for 1 year and if he performs well add one more year in his contract to get WDC and WCC. Lecrec also get some experience with him.

Otherwise, no chance they will win for next 3 to 4 years.
1 mistake and he is condemn, Leclerc has shown he can be on the first team, he haven't been intimidated yet by the pression and has been really impresive this first 4 races. Vettel more mature and in the 1st team for long time now and has done more mistakes that Leclerc so far