General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

yener wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 12:13
Its not only software. They are going to switch the PU to get more straight line speed.
Where did you get this information? Honda, RBR, anyone else?
The Power of Dreams!

restless

ummm, I thought that once you put new engine spec, the old one cannot be used for qualy/race, only on fridays ?!
:wtf:

Zynerji

restless wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 14:25
ummm, I thought that once you put new engine spec, the old one cannot be used for qualy/race, only on fridays ?!
I'm rather sure it is a "pool" that you draw from. I think it's more that teams would rather not use an older spec if they found more power in a newer one.

So, you can use an old engine after taking a fresh one for a race. If you take a 4th engine, the oldest one is kicked from the pool.

yener

Wouter wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 12:51
yener wrote:
Its not only software. They are going to switch the PU to get more straight line speed.
I got it from this link. It's former F1 Driver Robert Doornbos telling that they will switch to another PU. But maybe it is the same spec but the second of that pool.

Here is the link https://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/3 ... t-wel-wat/
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Wouter

yener wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 14:48
Wouter wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 12:51
yener wrote:
I got it from this link. It's former F1 Driver Robert Doornbos telling that they will switch to another PU. But maybe it is the same spec but the second of that pool.

Here is the link https://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/3 ... t-wel-wat/
Oké. I only believe it when the information comes from Honda. Lets wait and see.
The Power of Dreams!

Alexf1

Maybe an engine switch wasnt planned at first but if the analysis from Kvyats engine showed damage that can be expected on all other units in time then it would be better to switch to a 1.1 version now instead of risking breaking the 1.0 version. Maybe TR has succesfully tried it last GP. Albon was very fast in the race in China

Big Tea

Alexf1 wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 15:15
Maybe an engine switch wasnt planned at first but if the analysis from Kvyats engine showed damage that can be expected on all other units in time then it would be better to switch to a 1.1 version now instead of risking breaking the 1.0 version. Maybe TR has succesfully tried it last GP. Albon was very fast in the race in China
As I have posted previously, STR does not lose much by flicking through engines.
They lose 6-7-8 places on the grid and race in a segment where a 10th can gain them 4 points.

I think they would gain far more by swapping power units even if they only swap like for like and run it harder.

They make no pretenses that they are not there to develop the boss team, and the loss of a point this race is more than made up for when they gain 2 next race and RBr get a podium
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Alexf1

Spec 2 ICE intro confirmed by Honda due to Kvyat engine failure

restless

Can't be due to Kvyat's engine entirely - in order to have at least 4 (and maybe 6 or 8 ) engines available they had planned month or two ahead.
Maybe rushed few weeks ahead.

yener

Honda confirmed a spec 2 ICE.

They told that there was a qualitycheck issue at spec1 which they have detected at Kyvats engine. So all the four cars will change to spec 2 this weekend. Spec 2 will bring more reliability and also a small power increase.

Power increase could only be because of the reliability, making it possible to run more out of the engine.

Lets see and wait what saturday will bring
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

mzso

Zynerji wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 14:33
restless wrote:
So, you can use an old engine after taking a fresh one for a race. If you take a 4th engine, the oldest one is kicked from the pool.
Reference? I think this is nonsense. I have not heard of used PUs being taken away.

Zynerji

mzso wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 21:45
Zynerji wrote:
restless wrote:
Reference? I think this is nonsense. I have not heard of used PUs being taken away.
I'm sure other's here can give more specific, but I'm rather sure we have seen it every time that a team takes a 4th engine, as they can only keep 3 in the pool.

saviour stivala

We have red bull, we have new I.C,E, now if Kyvyat brings the vodka we can party.

mzso

Zynerji wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 22:18
mzso wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 21:45
Zynerji wrote:

I'm sure other's here can give more specific, but I'm rather sure we have seen it every time that a team takes a 4th engine, as they can only keep 3 in the pool.
I never heard of a rule on "pool". Only that 3 PU components can be deployed, any further brings grid penalties.